David Hearn

Default Removing artex...

Any suggestions as to the most effective way of removing artex from walls
which has been painted? Replastering is a last resort - and only after
artex is removed - plastering over it isn't suitable for this situation.

I've heard people talking about using normal wallpaper steamers, wallpaper
paste on walls covered by sheeting allowing it to soak in and soften. I've
also just come across X-Tex Textured Coating Remover (Screwfix does it) -
however at £20+ for 2.5l (which does about 6-9 square meters) it's a bit
pricey. 15l is £90. We have a landing + stairs + hall to remove it from -
so we'd need quite a bit of it, and it could start costing a lot - however
if it makes it wonderfully easy to get off, it may be worth it.

I can't find any details on X-Tex except in postings from Eco Solutions, the
manufacturer, who in 2001 seemed to post a lot to DIY groups.

What do people have for suggestions?

Thanks

David

Ian_m

"David Hearn" wrote in message
news
[...]

I've used the steam method using a wallpaper steamer, works well, but wall
needs skimming afterwards due to damage during removal.

I've also had artex skimmed over OK, but the plasterer did remove most of
the paint, pointy bits and generally "flatten the artex" with a sander to
provide a good key for PVA before plastering/skimming. The house looked so
much better for smooth walls and ceilings, the previous rough artex down the
stairs used to rip your skin off if you rubbed against it.

Mark S.

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:08:37 GMT, "David Hearn"
wrote:

[...]

If the plaster underneath isn't sound it'll come off. ;-)

I gave up after a few walls and just took the lot
off,paint/paper/atrex/plaster.

Steaming is ok but it is seriously slow and tedious.

£90 is a chunk of cash towards replastering?

Mark S.
David Hearn

Yeah, I'm aware of that, and hence I won't be sanding any. Wet removal only
for me, and I doubt there are (m)any issues with disposal of the wet gunk.
Steaming or gel/chemical removal would stop any fibres from becoming
airborne.

Thanks

David

doozer wrote:
I am sure you are probably aware of this but some old artex (pre 1985
IIIRC) contained asbestos as a filler (although I believe artex
containing asbestos was generally not in use after about 1960). The
quantities were, I believe, small but it might be worth checking the
age before commencing work.

http://www.n-e-m-s.demon.co.uk/asbestosfaq.htm

David Hearn wrote:
[...]

Lobster

David Hearn wrote:
Any suggestions as to the most effective way of removing artex from walls
which has been painted? Replastering is a last resort - and only after
artex is removed - plastering over it isn't suitable for this situation.

I've heard people talking about using normal wallpaper steamers, wallpaper
paste on walls covered by sheeting allowing it to soak in and soften. I've
also just come across X-Tex Textured Coating Remover (Screwfix does it) -
however at £20+ for 2.5l (which does about 6-9 square meters) it's a bit
pricey. 15l is £90. We have a landing + stairs + hall to remove it from -
so we'd need quite a bit of it, and it could start costing a lot - however
if it makes it wonderfully easy to get off, it may be worth it.

I can't find any details on X-Tex except in postings from Eco Solutions, the
manufacturer, who in 2001 seemed to post a lot to DIY groups.

I once tried Nitromors Textured Paint Remover (about 15 quid a litre
IIRC) and it was total rubbish. So was a steam stripper though. It
took about 5 applications of the stuff, followed by copious application
of elbow grease, to get rid of the artex, and the ceiling still needed
reskimming afterwards anyway. It's also corrosive (like paint stripper)
so is not the nicest stuff to have dripping off the ceiling down your neck.

Not my best DIY session, that one.

David

Paint won't stick to Artex type ceiling Warren Owen UK diy 9 September 1st 05 09:53 PM
Artex ceiling: repairing patches [email protected] UK diy 9 February 5th 05 02:14 PM
Removing chimney breast... Owain UK diy 8 August 29th 04 02:14 AM
Artex again David UK diy 4 October 9th 03 09:21 PM
Removing Caulk PC Woodworking 2 August 2nd 03 04:29 PM