Chris Melluish

Default windows not closing fully

Some of the windows in my house will not close completely unless they get a
push from the outside as it is being closed.

The are replacement casement double glazed units, put in about fifteen years
ago I think, long before I bought the house.

The faulty ones leave a gap of and inch or so on the hinge side.

As far as I can see there is no adjustment in the hinges - they are fixed to
the frame with pop rivets.

I have seen similar hinges on sale from Screwfix and others.

Is it likely mine are worn and replacements would fix the problem, or were
they installed wrongly in the first place?

--
Chris Melluish

Nottingham Jon

I had problems with some of the windows in my house, which seemed to be
due to wear in the hinges rather than seizing. In my case, the gap was
more like 1/4" than a whole inch. Depends on the quality of the hinge,
but on mine a small amount of wear prevented the pointy bit (attached
to the casement) engaging in the 'V' (attached to the frame). I
replaced with screwfix hinges. Sadly, that didn't improve things, but
on closer inspection I discovered that the screwfix ones were handed,
unlike the ones I had removed, so I swapped them around and all is
good.

hth,
Jon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Melluish

"Nottingham Jon" wrote in message
oups.com...
I had problems with some of the windows in my house, which seemed to be
due to wear in the hinges rather than seizing. In my case, the gap was
more like 1/4" than a whole inch. Depends on the quality of the hinge,
but on mine a small amount of wear prevented the pointy bit (attached
to the casement) engaging in the 'V' (attached to the frame). I
replaced with screwfix hinges. Sadly, that didn't improve things, but
on closer inspection I discovered that the screwfix ones were handed,
unlike the ones I had removed, so I swapped them around and all is
good.

hth,
Jon.

I had another look and it is nearer 1/4" than 1" as I originally said.

Your problem sounds exactly the same as mine, so it looks like replacement
hinges will fix it.

I presume the Screwfix ones come with fitting instructions?