Andrew Mawson

Default The correct way to solder Litz wire

"dave" wrote in message
Anyone know the proper way to solder Litz wire (used in eg quality

headphones).
My home-grown (but probably incorrect) method is to strip the outer

conductor,
expose the strands to a gas flame for fraction of a second to remove

the varnish
layer (or whatever it is), use a clean cloth soaked in alcohol to

remove the
soot (sometimes even very fine emery cloth!), and then solder. Even

this though
sometimes fails when a substantial woven cotton filler exists.
Is there a "correct" or better way?
Thanks

Well that's the way I've always done it - and it seems to work !

AWEM

Broadback

Andrew Mawson wrote:
"dave" wrote in message

Anyone know the proper way to solder Litz wire (used in eg quality

headphones).

My home-grown (but probably incorrect) method is to strip the outer

conductor,

expose the strands to a gas flame for fraction of a second to remove

the varnish

layer (or whatever it is), use a clean cloth soaked in alcohol to

remove the

soot (sometimes even very fine emery cloth!), and then solder. Even

this though

sometimes fails when a substantial woven cotton filler exists.
Is there a "correct" or better way?
Thanks

Well that's the way I've always done it - and it seems to work !

AWEM

I was an apprentice in the RAF before Pontius Pilot got his wings, we
were taught to dip the wire in meths then set it alight, it worked.