david lang

Default Part Pee - What?

Hi All

Can I do the following legally under Part P if done as a business
transaction;

Replace an existing light switch or socket outlet with another.

Replace an existing ceiling rose with another.

Fit an external security light if the cable terminates in a fused plug,
which is plugged into a socket?

Dave

John Rumm

david lang wrote:

Can I do the following legally under Part P if done as a business
transaction;

Replace an existing light switch or socket outlet with another.

Yes unless in a "special location" - even then possibly depending on
your interpretation of the "law".

Replace an existing ceiling rose with another.

as above

Fit an external security light if the cable terminates in a fused plug,
which is plugged into a socket?

Yes - it would be a pseudo appliance - probably the wrong way to do it,
but as encouraged by the law!

--
Cheers,

John.

david lang

John Rumm wrote:
Yes unless in a "special location" - even then possibly depending on
your interpretation of the "law".

Thanks John. A "special location" being a kitchen or bathoom?

Dave

John Rumm wrote:
Yes unless in a "special location" - even then possibly depending on
your interpretation of the "law".

Thanks John. A "special location" being a kitchen or bathoom?

What happens if you do wiring before the room is a kitchen or bathroom
?
Is there are requirement that if an existing wired room becomes a
kitchen,
that all the wiring must be subject to a part P inspection ?
Simon.

Dark Angel

"Dave" wrote in message...
Looks like the regs are done for. Just gut the room, modify the electrics
and make the room into anything you want it to be :-)

That would only work if you were not intending to turn the room you had
gutted back into a kitchen after the wiring had been done.

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)

John Rumm

Dave wrote:

Thanks John. A "special location" being a kitchen or bathoom?

yes, or room with pool or sauna etc.

At what point can a room be called a kitchen, or a bathroom, if it has
neither kitchen apliances/fittings or bath etc?

I ripped out my old kitchen completely. All that was left was a waste
pipe in the floor. This would have taken the room out of the status of
being a kitchen.

You also need to keep in mind that part P would apply to wiring outside
the locations should the work not come under the "minor works" exemption.

After I had done this, I broke into the ring main and added lots of ne
sockets. Before anyone asks, I intend to make it a new ring, eventually,
by making a minor change to existing wiring, not in the kitchen :-)

quite.... shows you how barking the whole idea is.

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave

Dark Angel wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message...

Looks like the regs are done for. Just gut the room, modify the electrics
and make the room into anything you want it to be :-)

That would only work if you were not intending to turn the room you had
gutted back into a kitchen after the wiring had been done.

After the room had been wired is the point I am trying to make.

Up to this point, the room could be anything you want to call it.

After you have re-wired it and before you designate it as a
bathroom/kitchen, you do not have to comply with part P.

Where does part P come into this after the room is changed into a
bathroom/kitchen?

Electrical regs are never retrospective, are they? :-)

Dave

Help finding old router part Jon Woodworking 14 March 18th 06 11:40 PM
need help identifying VCR part Veggie Electronics Repair 8 June 17th 05 05:48 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Part P - new cable colours CRB UK diy 50 November 30th 04 11:13 PM
rec.woodworking ANTI-FAQ Part 1 of 10 - General Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 2 April 3rd 04 12:15 PM