Bumble Bee Boy 2

Default Xpelair Condensation Control Fan Problem

Hi, got an Xpelair DV200T extractor fan for our bathroom, it turns itself on
when the light is turned on in the bathroom. However today it has stopped
working, the light still comes on (both the bathroom light and the light on
the fan to show it has power) but the fan isn't actually rotating. I opened
the cover and cleared out a load of dust but still no joy. Any ideas? Is it
something we can fix or do I need to get an electrician out to
replace/repair possibly?

Simon

Mike

Looks like you need to buy a new one. It's not difficult to do
yourself. they don't last forever.

Andrew Gabriel

In article . com,
"Mike" writes:
Looks like you need to buy a new one. It's not difficult to do
yourself. they don't last forever.

Might be worth checking if the motor has failed. If so, you
might be able to buy a plain no-humidistat equivalent model,
and swap the fan motors over. This would be cheaper than
buying a humidistat fan, which come at quite a price premium.

These fan motors don't have a good track record with me.
I've had very short life from both Monrose and Delta makes.
Currently got a Wickes one and a super slim Vent-Axia one,
but both are too new to comment yet. Haven't tried Xpelair.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andy Wade

Andy Hall wrote:

I've had a Vent Axia one for more than 10 years and it continues to
work perfectly. The build quality does seem to be noticably better
than earlier ones I had.

Agreed. I have a ~12yo VA100H which has been largely trouble-free and
remains quiet-running. The only servicing needed in that time has been
a general strip, clean and lubricate, and replacement of the 'thermal
motor' (a PTC operated gubbins) which works the back-draught shutter.

--
Andy

Peter Taylor

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
I've had a Vent Axia one for more than 10 years and it continues to
work perfectly. The build quality does seem to be noticably better
than earlier ones I had.

Yep, agreed. My Vent Axia 6" wall fan in the kitchen is still going strong
after 21 years. It's not switched with the light though.

If you find the fan coming on with the light for 15/20 minutes is annoying,
there are other ways of complying with the Building Regs. You can have a
fan running very slowly (and silently) to give 24/7 trickle ventilation
(around 5 litres/second), and then manually switch to boost speed only when
you need to. Vent Axia Solo or Nuaire Genie-X fans, for example, have this
feature. You can also get humidistat override versions too.

Peter