Homer2911

Default Engine overheating

If I push my engine hard for any length of time, as on the upper
reaches of the Llangollen in the tunnels, it develops an air lock in
the top of the skin tank and overheats.

Might this be a sign of water pump trouble, or is it summat else?

Homer2911 wrote:
If I push my engine hard for any length of time, as on the upper
reaches of the Llangollen in the tunnels, it develops an air lock in

the top of the skin tank and overheats.

??

Might this be a sign of water pump trouble, or is it summat else?

mrcheerful

"Homer2911" wrote in message
oups.com...
If I push my engine hard for any length of time, as on the upper
reaches of the Llangollen in the tunnels, it develops an air lock in
the top of the skin tank and overheats.

Might this be a sign of water pump trouble, or is it summat else?

Think logically, how is the air getting into the system? Head gasket is the
most likely, get it tested.

mrcheerful

Dave Liquorice

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 15:46:53 GMT, mrcheerful
.. wrote:

If I push my engine hard for any length of time, as on the upper
reaches of the Llangollen in the tunnels, it develops an air lock
in the top of the skin tank and overheats.

Might this be a sign of water pump trouble, or is it summat else?

Think logically, how is the air getting into the system? Head
gasket is the most likely, get it tested.

I suspect this is boat in which case the cooling water is taken and
returned to the body of water in which the boat is sitting. It could
just be drawing air in through the intake or a partially blocked
intake not allowing enough water flow and a low pressure darwing air
through places it shouldn't.

I also suspect uk.rec.waterways would be a better place to ask.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Gripper

wrote

If I push my engine hard for any length of time, as on the upper
reaches of the Llangollen in the tunnels, it develops an air lock in

the top of the skin tank and overheats.

??

Skin tank=cooling tank/heat exchanger built/welded onto "skin" (boat metal
plate in contact with water). Closed circuit: heat from engine is lost by
transfer to water surrounding the hull.
Takes the place of conventional air cooled radiator, or using water from
canal/river/sea for cooling.

hth

Pete C

On 5 Nov 2005 03:29:37 -0800, "Homer2911" wrote:

If I push my engine hard for any length of time, as on the upper
reaches of the Llangollen in the tunnels, it develops an air lock in
the top of the skin tank and overheats.

Might this be a sign of water pump trouble, or is it summat else?

Hi,

Try asking on uk.rec.waterways.

cheers,
Pete.