DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Engine overheating (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/127973-engine-overheating.html)

Homer2911 November 5th 05 11:29 AM

Engine overheating

If I push my engine hard for any length of time, as on the upper
reaches of the Llangollen in the tunnels, it develops an air lock in
the top of the skin tank and overheats.

Might this be a sign of water pump trouble, or is it summat else?

Rob Morley November 5th 05 11:48 AM

Engine overheating

In article .com,
says...
If I push my engine hard for any length of time, as on the upper
reaches of the Llangollen in the tunnels, it develops an air lock in
the top of the skin tank and overheats.

Might this be a sign of water pump trouble, or is it summat else?

I'd be worrying about the head gasket, but I don't know anything about
boat cooling.

[email protected] November 5th 05 12:01 PM

Engine overheating

Homer2911 wrote:
If I push my engine hard for any length of time, as on the upper
reaches of the Llangollen in the tunnels, it develops an air lock in

the top of the skin tank and overheats.

??

Might this be a sign of water pump trouble, or is it summat else?

mrcheerful November 5th 05 03:46 PM

Engine overheating

"Homer2911" wrote in message
oups.com...
If I push my engine hard for any length of time, as on the upper
reaches of the Llangollen in the tunnels, it develops an air lock in
the top of the skin tank and overheats.

Might this be a sign of water pump trouble, or is it summat else?

Think logically, how is the air getting into the system? Head gasket is the
most likely, get it tested.

mrcheerful

Dave Liquorice November 5th 05 08:28 PM

Engine overheating

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 15:46:53 GMT, mrcheerful
.. wrote:

If I push my engine hard for any length of time, as on the upper
reaches of the Llangollen in the tunnels, it develops an air lock
in the top of the skin tank and overheats.

Might this be a sign of water pump trouble, or is it summat else?

Think logically, how is the air getting into the system? Head
gasket is the most likely, get it tested.

I suspect this is boat in which case the cooling water is taken and
returned to the body of water in which the boat is sitting. It could
just be drawing air in through the intake or a partially blocked
intake not allowing enough water flow and a low pressure darwing air
through places it shouldn't.

I also suspect uk.rec.waterways would be a better place to ask.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Rob Morley November 6th 05 02:18 AM

Engine overheating

In article om,
says...
. wrote:

If I push my engine hard for any length of time, as on the upper
reaches of the Llangollen in the tunnels, it develops an air lock
in the top of the skin tank and overheats.

Might this be a sign of water pump trouble, or is it summat else?

Think logically, how is the air getting into the system? Head
gasket is the most likely, get it tested.

I suspect this is boat in which case the cooling water is taken and
returned to the body of water in which the boat is sitting.

I don't see how it could be anything other than boat. Lots of boats use
a sealed circuit with a heat exchanger for cooling.

Gripper November 6th 05 03:54 PM

Engine overheating

wrote

If I push my engine hard for any length of time, as on the upper
reaches of the Llangollen in the tunnels, it develops an air lock in

the top of the skin tank and overheats.

??

Skin tank=cooling tank/heat exchanger built/welded onto "skin" (boat metal
plate in contact with water). Closed circuit: heat from engine is lost by
transfer to water surrounding the hull.
Takes the place of conventional air cooled radiator, or using water from
canal/river/sea for cooling.

hth

The Natural Philosopher November 6th 05 04:55 PM

Engine overheating

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 15:54:30 +0000 (UTC), Gripper wrote:

wrote

If I push my engine hard for any length of time, as on the upper
reaches of the Llangollen in the tunnels, it develops an air lock in

the top of the skin tank and overheats.

??

Skin tank=cooling tank/heat exchanger built/welded onto "skin" (boat metal
plate in contact with water). Closed circuit: heat from engine is lost by
transfer to water surrounding the hull.
Takes the place of conventional air cooled radiator, or using water from
canal/river/sea for cooling.

hth

head gasket then.

Pete C November 6th 05 09:45 PM

Engine overheating

On 5 Nov 2005 03:29:37 -0800, "Homer2911" wrote:

If I push my engine hard for any length of time, as on the upper
reaches of the Llangollen in the tunnels, it develops an air lock in
the top of the skin tank and overheats.

Might this be a sign of water pump trouble, or is it summat else?

Hi,

Try asking on uk.rec.waterways.

cheers,
Pete.