Martin Pentreath

Default Telewest tamper-proof fixings

I've been trying to open a Telewest junction box so that I can run
another telephone point from it - I know I shouldn't but I've
fiddled around with enough telephone lines in my time in flagrant
disregard of contractual prohibitions to be fairly unconcerned about
that.

Anyway, Telewest are so sure that they don't want you to mess about
with their wiring that they use tamper-proof fixings instead of
ordinary screws to close the junction box. I've tried my Screwfix
get-into-anything set
but it doesn't work! Anyone know what sort of fixings they use?
They're some sort of six-pointed star, but the Screwfix star bits are
no good.

raden

In message . com,
Martin Pentreath writes
I've been trying to open a Telewest junction box so that I can run
another telephone point from it - I know I shouldn't but I've
fiddled around with enough telephone lines in my time in flagrant
disregard of contractual prohibitions to be fairly unconcerned about
that.

Anyway, Telewest are so sure that they don't want you to mess about
with their wiring that they use tamper-proof fixings instead of
ordinary screws to close the junction box. I've tried my Screwfix
get-into-anything set
but it doesn't work! Anyone know what sort of fixings they use?
They're some sort of six-pointed star, but the Screwfix star bits are
no good.

Six or five ?

A lot of central heating actuators used to use a 5 pointed star with a
nipple in the centre

I made my own tool out of an old screwdriver using nothing more than a
pillar drill and a hacksaw

--
geoff
Andy

"raden" wrote in message
In message . com, Martin
Pentreath writes
[...]

Ditto, make a cross head screwdriver into a two-tined
tuning fork thingy. I used a Dremel Multitool with a ceramic disc attachment
to grind it to shape.

Andy.

Bacillus Cereus

Martin Pentreath wrote:
I've been trying to open a Telewest junction box so that I can run
another telephone point from it - I know I shouldn't but I've
fiddled around with enough telephone lines in my time in flagrant
disregard of contractual prohibitions to be fairly unconcerned about
that.

Anyway, Telewest are so sure that they don't want you to mess about
with their wiring that they use tamper-proof fixings instead of
ordinary screws to close the junction box. I've tried my Screwfix
get-into-anything set
but it doesn't work! Anyone know what sort of fixings they use?
They're some sort of six-pointed star, but the Screwfix star bits are
no good.

but the first telephone socket from the cable junction box has to be the
Linebox which would already be installed. Any further sockets should be
installed after the Linebox.
raden

In message , Andy
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message . com, Martin
Pentreath writes
[...]

For this particular screw head, I "concaved" it out with a drill bit,
then drilled the hole to take the nipple.

I then just cut 5 slots with a drivel pipe cutter

--
geoff

fred

In article , raden
writes

For this particular screw head, I "concaved" it out with a drill bit,
then drilled the hole to take the nipple.

I then just cut 5 slots with a drivel pipe cutter

I'll follow your example, a good way to circumvent the ridiculous supply
restrictions the patent holder is trying to impose on the supply of tools for
these fasteners.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla