Andy Jeffries

Default Power to remote building through garden

Hi all,

Outside my house (by about 2m) I have a brick shed with power (running
from the house through conduit on the garden wall, done by previous
owner).

I'd like to extend this power down the garden (by about 70ft) and
understand I have to bury the SWA cable about 50cm down and put some tape
on top of it to show it's an electical cable.

The problem is, there are sections of the garden with concrete on them and
I'm not going to be able to lift/break it up to bury the cable under it.

Can I run it in metal conduit over these parts and fix them to the
concrete then resume the burying either side of those parts?

Thanks for any advice.

Would this fall foul of Part P (although it's effectively adding sockets
to a fused spur outside of the kitchen)?

Cheers,

--
Andy Jeffries | gPHPEdit Lead Developer
http://www.gphpedit.org | PHP editor for Gnome 2

Lurch

On or around Fri, 04 Nov 2005 09:18:14 GMT, Andy Jeffries
mused:

Hi all,

Outside my house (by about 2m) I have a brick shed with power (running
from the house through conduit on the garden wall, done by previous
owner).

I'd like to extend this power down the garden (by about 70ft) and
understand I have to bury the SWA cable about 50cm down and put some tape
on top of it to show it's an electical cable.

I'd go for 600mm minimum where possible, 750mm ideally.

The problem is, there are sections of the garden with concrete on them and
I'm not going to be able to lift/break it up to bury the cable under it.

Can I run it in metal conduit over these parts and fix them to the
concrete then resume the burying either side of those parts?

No need, it's SWA, just run it overground\underground etc... as
required as it's mechanically protected by it's own steel armouring
for arduous use.

Although re-reading it it would appear you want to be able to walk
over the cable, i.e. fix it to the floor? Maybe steel tube would be an
idea, or a different route.

Thanks for any advice.

Would this fall foul of Part P (although it's effectively adding sockets
to a fused spur outside of the kitchen)?

Kitchen, bathroom and outside are all unconditionally in the scope of
part P.
--
| Stuart @ SJW Electrical. Please Reply to group. |
Andy Jeffries

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 17:44:24 +0000, Lurch wrote:
I'd like to extend this power down the garden (by about 70ft) and
understand I have to bury the SWA cable about 50cm down and put some tape
on top of it to show it's an electical cable.

I'd go for 600mm minimum where possible, 750mm ideally.

OK, fair enough.

The problem is, there are sections of the garden with concrete on them
and I'm not going to be able to lift/break it up to bury the cable under
it.

Can I run it in metal conduit over these parts and fix them to the
concrete then resume the burying either side of those parts?

No need, it's SWA, just run it overground\underground etc... as required
as it's mechanically protected by it's own steel armouring for arduous
use.

OK

Although re-reading it it would appear you want to be able to walk over
the cable, i.e. fix it to the floor? Maybe steel tube would be an idea,
or a different route.

It will be down the edge (right hand side) of the garden so I'm not
worried about people walking on it, it's more about kids giving it a slap
with a plastic toy or the dog (next year we're getting a dog) chewing it
(which hopefully the SWA will resist - thinking about it it may make more
sense to put it in steel tube or something).

Thanks for any advice.

Would this fall foul of Part P (although it's effectively adding sockets
to a fused spur outside of the kitchen)?

Kitchen, bathroom and outside are all unconditionally in the scope of
part P.

Damn! OK, so I could do the work at least then get a local sparky to
certify it though right?

Cheers,

Andy

--
Andy Jeffries | gPHPEdit Lead Developer
http://www.gphpedit.org | PHP editor for Gnome 2
http://www.andyjeffries.co.uk | Personal site and photos

Lurch

On or around Sun, 06 Nov 2005 11:34:53 GMT, Andy Jeffries
mused:

Although re-reading it it would appear you want to be able to walk over
the cable, i.e. fix it to the floor? Maybe steel tube would be an idea,
or a different route.

It will be down the edge (right hand side) of the garden so I'm not
worried about people walking on it, it's more about kids giving it a slap
with a plastic toy or the dog (next year we're getting a dog) chewing it
(which hopefully the SWA will resist - thinking about it it may make more
sense to put it in steel tube or something).

If you like, my preference would be to just run it as is if it's
reasonably out of the way but you can tube it if you like.

Damn! OK, so I could do the work at least then get a local sparky to
certify it though right?

Yes, although have a word with whoever you want to certify it first so
you don't do something he doesn't like and have to have it all
rewired.
--
| Stuart @ SJW Electrical. Please Reply to group. |

Underground wiring questions... guest987 Home Repair 52 February 2nd 05 01:52 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Building a hot tub in the garden - thoughts and advice please Grunff UK diy 27 July 29th 04 09:08 PM
need help tracing power circuit on laptop railroadrum Electronics Repair 7 April 16th 04 09:02 PM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM