Junior Member

Default How to attach ceiling pattresses securely

Hi,

My father has used a circular piece of wood to attach to the ceiling, to which he then attaches the pattress of the ceiling light. It is done for a more secure fastening to the ceiling, which in comparison to simply attaching the pattress to the plaster i would have to agree (as we have had several fall down). However, I think it's an unattractive option...are there any better suggestions? Apologies in advance if this is a very simple question, but as my user id suggests i am really new to diy!
-=Scozia=-

--
diynovice

If there is a conduit box in the ceiling then you can fix directly to that
using appropriate machine screws.

If the lights have been wired in Twin & Earth then the are usually (note the
use of usually) next to a joist so you can fix to that using long wood
screws.

-=Scozia=-

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
diynovice wrote:
My father has used a circular piece of wood to attach to the ceiling,
to which he then attaches the pattress of the ceiling light. It is done
for a more secure fastening to the ceiling, which in comparison to
simply attaching the pattress to the plaster i would have to agree (as
we have had several fall down). However, I think it's an unattractive
option...are there any better suggestions? Apologies in advance if this
is a very simple question, but as my user id suggests i am really new to
diy!

If it's a plasterboard ceiling one of the many plasterboard fixings should
be ok for most things. If a heavy load - or an older lath and plaster type
where the laths are damaged near the fitting - a couple of battens run
between the joists above.

--
*I'm not your type. I'm not inflatable.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
The3rd Earl Of Derby

diynovice wrote:
Hi,

My father has used a circular piece of wood to attach to the ceiling,
to which he then attaches the pattress of the ceiling light. It is
done for a more secure fastening to the ceiling, which in comparison
to simply attaching the pattress to the plaster i would have to agree
(as we have had several fall down). However, I think it's an
unattractive option...are there any better suggestions? Apologies in
advance if this is a very simple question, but as my user id suggests
i am really new to diy!

Yup! take the floorboard up in the room above where the light fitting is
below, and fix a noggin(piece of wood between the joist.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Harry Bloomfield

diynovice presented the following explanation :
Hi,

My father has used a circular piece of wood to attach to the ceiling,
to which he then attaches the pattress of the ceiling light. It is done
for a more secure fastening to the ceiling, which in comparison to
simply attaching the pattress to the plaster i would have to agree (as
we have had several fall down). However, I think it's an unattractive
option...are there any better suggestions? Apologies in advance if this
is a very simple question, but as my user id suggests i am really new to
diy!

You should not be attempting to fix to the plaster. Normally the
fitting will have been wired, such that the cable(s) come through
alongside a joist. All you need do is feel for the joist with a long
thin screwdriver, then fit the rose so that the screw fixing go into
the joist.

Another way (as someone else suggested), is to lift floor boards above
the light and fit a flat piece of wood (to spread the weight) into
which you can then screw the fixings.

Failing that, you could use toggle bolts - a screw with a bolt in the
form of spring out 'wings'.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Junior Member

Thanks for all the replies. Actually i stand corrected by my father...the question should have been about attaching the ceiling rose via a circular piece of wood he made (the pattress), but it would have the same answers.

My father is insistant that using this circular piece of wood is a good way to do it and has been done in the past as a professional solution. I have to disagree with him, as adding an extra thickness above the rose looks unprofessional, even if it is painted to match the ceiling! But then he loves to add pieces of wood everywhere around the house! He mounted a small fan heater above our bathroom door on a square piece of wood too! I think he doesn't trust plasterboard fittings!!
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
diynovice wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. Actually i stand corrected by my
father...the question should have been about attaching the ceiling rose
via a circular piece of wood he made (the pattress), but it would have
the same answers.

My father is insistant that using this circular piece of wood is a good
way to do it and has been done in the past as a professional solution.

It used to be the standard way to fit both ceiling roses and round surface
light switches. You could buy them ready made. But died out when flush
fittings became the norm.

--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Harry Bloomfield

diynovice submitted this idea :
My father is insistant that using this circular piece of wood is a good
way to do it and has been done in the past as a professional solution. I
have to disagree with him, as adding an extra thickness above the rose
looks unprofessional, even if it is painted to match the ceiling! But
then he loves to add pieces of wood everywhere around the house! He
mounted a small fan heater above our bathroom door on a square piece of
wood too! I think he doesn't trust plasterboard fittings!!

I would agree with adding the circular bit of wood behind a fitting,
but not a normal modern plastic ceiling rose.

Some years ago I installed some wall lights which would have meant the
circular metal flange screwed straight onto the wall. To my eyes this
looked rather odd and unfinished, so I went chasing round trying to buy
some polished wood pattresses.

I was not able to get any so I turned some up, stained and varnished
them.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

nightjar

"diynovice" wrote in message
My father is insistant that using this circular piece of wood is a good
way to do it and has been done in the past as a professional solution. ...

It is a very old-fashioned way to do things. A wooden pattress was essential
for many old metal and Bakelite fittings. Modern fittings have been designed
not to need one.

Colin Bignell

Ceiling Fan Steve Home Repair 0 August 7th 05 05:59 PM
Modeling an air heater with a massy ceiling Nick Pine Home Repair 4 January 5th 05 01:03 PM
suspended ceiling or ceil barry martin Home Repair 3 December 23rd 04 04:48 PM
Extending electrical box on ceiling fixtures?? Ray Home Repair 3 November 23rd 03 01:50 AM
Painting of ceiling... Marcus Fox UK diy 2 November 7th 03 07:15 PM