Clive Dive

Default How's this for DIY special?

Went to a job and needed to plug drill in [pre cordless days]. The
owner told me there was a spare way on a 4 gang extension lead in the
kitchen [alarm bells on standby]. True enough, 1 spare way, indicator
light on and washing machine chunnering away. NO LEAD CONNECTING 4 GANG
TO ANY WALL SOCKET!!! ALARM BELLS RING F.LOUDLY. I traced each wire
back to its respective appliance...guess what? The little tinker had
made up a flex with a plug top at each end and plugged one into a wall
socket and the other INTO the 4 gang...NICE!!

Told me that this was what he always did as he did not want to
invalidate any warranty by opening the 4 gang!!!!!!!! TO55ER! He
nearly invalidated me!

Thought I'd share that with you.

Oh! I cut the lead into 2" pieces in front of him and smashed the plug
tops with a big hammer, and sent an invoice for my wasted time.

Why not make it a requirement that some form of qualification is shown
before materials can be purchased? In its simplest form there is more
than one way to wire a plug top...but how many of these are correct?

Harry Bloomfield

on 24/10/2005, Clive Dive supposed :
The little tinker had
made up a flex with a plug top at each end and plugged one into a wall
socket and the other INTO the 4 gang...NICE!!

The plug at each end trick is a regular '....why can't I' when it comes
to powering a house load from a small generator during mains supply
power cuts.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Clive Dive wrote:
[...]

What the hell is a plug top and spare way on a 4 gang extension lead?
--

Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Clive Dive wrote:
[...]

Oh, by the way are you not a tosser for not having your own extension
leads?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

mrcheerful

"Clive Dive" wrote in message
news:f71a159d55f28548bfd7eb6f2d618741.115311@mygat e.mailgate.org...
[...]

My garage was powered like this when I moved in, only the 'sockets' were a
three way adapter with its live pins into a block of wood!!!

I agree it is dangerous, but you are lucky he didn't cut YOU into 2 inch
pieces, after using a large hammer on you, I know of people that would, with
less provocation.

mrcheerful

Clive Dive

Miaow, saucer of milk for table nine please.
FFS I wish I hadn't bothered! Still, some of the comments made it worth
while. I feel the standard of debate within this forum is on the
decline though. Yes I am old School [49 asolutely prehistoric] I
remember wooden back boxes, 3/.029 3/.036 etc etc .1's. 3 core and
ECC when it was red white and blue. TRS and floorboard saws. Hot
potted Pyro and Copperclad...and the days before t'internet where people
had to keep
their puerile comments amongst their 'limited group' of friends and not
pontificate across the 4 corners etc etc etc. Getting bored now

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Clive Dive wrote:
Miaow, saucer of milk for table nine please.
FFS I wish I hadn't bothered! Still, some of the comments made it
worth while. I feel the standard of debate within this forum is on
the decline though. Yes I am old School [49 asolutely prehistoric] I
remember wooden back boxes, 3/.029 3/.036 etc etc .1's. 3 core and
ECC when it was red white and blue. TRS and floorboard saws. Hot
potted Pyro and Copperclad...and the days before t'internet where
people had to keep
their puerile comments amongst their 'limited group' of friends and
not pontificate across the 4 corners etc etc etc. Getting bored now

You never did get round to telling us what the job call entailed?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Mr Fizzion

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:14:19 +0000 (UTC), "Clive Dive"
wrote:

Miaow, saucer of milk for table nine please.
FFS I wish I hadn't bothered! Still, some of the comments made it worth
while. I feel the standard of debate within this forum is on the
decline though. Yes I am old School [49 asolutely prehistoric] I
remember wooden back boxes, 3/.029 3/.036 etc etc .1's. 3 core and
ECC when it was red white and blue. TRS and floorboard saws. Hot
potted Pyro and Copperclad...and the days before t'internet where people
had to keep
their puerile comments amongst their 'limited group' of friends and not
pontificate across the 4 corners etc etc etc. Getting bored now

We kept you entertained for a few hours at least.

Mr F.

mike ring

"Clive Dive" wrote in
news:55f877f8ef4e1e059c0d072206bd7f86.115311@mygat e.mailgate.org:

Miaow, saucer of milk for table nine please.
FFS I wish I hadn't bothered! Still, some of the comments made it worth
while. I feel the standard of debate within this forum is on the
decline though. Yes I am old School [49 asolutely prehistoric] I
remember wooden back boxes, 3/.029 3/.036 etc etc .1's. 3 core and
ECC when it was red white and blue. TRS and floorboard saws. Hot
potted Pyro and Copperclad...and the days before t'internet where people
had to keep
their puerile comments amongst their 'limited group' of friends and not
pontificate across the 4 corners etc etc etc. Getting bored now

I think your summing up is right.

My school is not as old as yours but all you quote is familiar; fondest
memories of terminating pyro in Malaya......

But at least I've learned how much credence to give to one or three of the
posters

mike
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article ilgate.org,
Clive Dive URL:mailto
In its simplest form there is more
than one way to wire a plug top...but how many of these are correct?

How do you get the wires to stay in the plug top? Don't you have to wire
into the plug body, where the pins are?

Clive Dive

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote in message

In article ilgate.org,
Clive Dive URL:mailto
In its simplest form there is more
than one way to wire a plug top...but how many of these are correct?

How do you get the wires to stay in the plug top? Don't you have to wire
into the plug body, where the pins are?

Thats easy, we use a large amount of NASA technology,lubricate with
elbow grease and pass over to the situation assessor. We then take the
nearest pedant and use his noggin to beat the wires into place,presuming
said pedant has not interim exited his domicillary portal in search of a
life

Carpe diem; cogitus ergo descendus

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article ilgate.org,
Clive Dive URL:mailto

How do you get the wires to stay in the plug top? Don't you have to wire
into the plug body, where the pins are?

Thats easy, we use a large amount of NASA technology,lubricate with
elbow grease and pass over to the situation assessor. We then take the
nearest pedant and use his noggin to beat the wires into place,presuming
said pedant has not interim exited his domicillary portal in search of a
life

Carpe diem; cogitus ergo descendus

So that clears that one up then. :-)

--