Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

Default How easy/difficult is it to replace an electric shower unit?

Our Galaxy electric shower is less than 3 yrs old and has had the flow valve
replaced twice already. It's started to fail yet again and cannot be shut
off completely so drips constantly.

I'm considering replacing with a unit that has an ON/OFF switch for flow,
the water supply has an isolation valve which makes life easier and I'm not
completely inept with such things but have the presence of electricity and
water is the reason for my enquiry!

Are these things relatively simple to replace or would I be best leaving to
a plumber?

TIA

Darren

Rick

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 09:04:59 +0100, "Darren Griffin -
PocketGPSWorld.Com" wrote:

Our Galaxy electric shower is less than 3 yrs old and has had the flow valve
replaced twice already. It's started to fail yet again and cannot be shut
off completely so drips constantly.

I'm considering replacing with a unit that has an ON/OFF switch for flow,
the water supply has an isolation valve which makes life easier and I'm not
completely inept with such things but have the presence of electricity and
water is the reason for my enquiry!

Are these things relatively simple to replace or would I be best leaving to
a plumber?

TIA

Darren

Its easy-ish. It depends if the new one lines up with the old one -
which it won't. So then it depends on how much space you have to play
with. OK its a real PITA, but its not technically challenging, its
just a fiddle.

I gave up with my shower, and fitted a handle in the water supply
pipe, which shuts the water to the shower off, its a 1/4 turn between
on and off, which is great. The handle is inside the shower cubicle.

Rick

The biggest headache is whether both the supply and the electric cable
line up with the replacement unit. I stuck with Triton for two units
because they did line up. When they changed the design I moved on but
had to strip off tiles and change the feed pipe channel.

The other thing to be sure of is that there is an isolation valve - a
friend of mine tells a wonderfull story about changing a shower without
being able to find an isolator anywhere - in the house or a toby in the
road. He had to do it live - got very, very wet and very, very cold
but he did succeed.

If yu're not into plumbing, electrics, tiling and a bit of chasing
then call in the plumber.

Rob
Rob

Easy if you replace like with like which of course you don't want to do
as it keeps failing. Big pain in bum if not a straight swap. Consider a
straight swap nevertheless but in future ALWAYS turn off the stopcock
when not in use. If yours is anything like mine (Gainsborough) the flow
valve diaphragm thingy is the weakest link and won't stand up to
continuous mains pressure. I took mine apart and although beautifully
engineered the diaphragm was bust and about as strong as a Durex
Featherlight.

cheers

Jacob