Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
T i m

Default Changing watch batteries

Hi All,

*Just* still on a 'doing it yourself' theme g ... the battery died
in the nice (for me anyway, stainless, white face, 3 hands, day, date,
£25) Seiko watch the Missus bought me when we were courting bless
last Thursday. I have one of the cards of various watch / hearing aid
/ game / calculator batteries on it (Benross, 40 cells for £1 shrug)
but not one to suit mine (isn't that always the way ..) sigh

At the same time the missus handed me a couple of the daughters
watches saying 'you might as well do these at the same time' and I was
able to do them from the card (wahoo) ;-)

I found a place on the net that did the SR920SW for £1.50 inc
everything but didn't get round to ordering it .. because ..

Today I popped into the local market and bought a Renata cell for £2.
After I'd paid him as sort of an impulse) I showed him the printout
(he's a mate of a mate anyway) from the net, really as a combined
"cough what do you think of these prices" and "do you think they
would be any good"? Apart from suggesting I wouldn't get a decent
battery from them (ie bulk / loose / poor quality in spite of the line
stating "We normally ship Renata, Varta, Rayovac etc etc ..) but
further the bulk carded cells (like he sells?) were 'rubbish' and were
infact 'second hand cells flash recharged' ...!?

Now like the idea of (English) Chinese Restaurant owners chasing the
local dogs down to put in your takeaway, do you think it's likely
anyone (even in Taiwan / China / India) is going to find thousands of
cells, clean / re-charge them and then try to palm them off as 'new'
....?

Isn't it more likely that these cells actually cost a fraction of a p
to make, so you can sell them on a card of 40 for £1 and still make a
profit, or sell them individually as 'branded' at £2/ each and make
even more profit? Or not?

The guy does run a nice car and lives in a big house I'm told .. ;-(

All the best ...

T i m

replacing batteries in Norelco shaver Darmok Electronics Repair 26 September 30th 05 07:11 AM
Of Generators and Batteries Fly-by-Night CC Woodworking 41 March 16th 05 10:15 PM
Is it safe for kids to take apart electronics? momwithtools Electronics Repair 64 March 1st 05 08:15 AM
AAA battery chargers Tim Downie UK diy 8 November 29th 03 01:22 PM
Changing a light bulb jay UK diy 11 October 18th 03 08:28 PM