Old August 26th 05, 12:55 AM
Darmok

Default replacing batteries in Norelco shaver

Hi,

I've got an older Norelco electric shaver, which has some kind of
'fast charge' ni-cads in it (haven't looked, but that's pretty much
what they had when it was made). Normally, it will recharge in about
20 minutes or so. Well, after all these years, one or both batteries
is dying, and I need to replace them. I was thinking of just putting
in a couple of Ni-MH cells (these are 'AA' size), because I know that
they can handle a higher charge rate than standard ni-cads. I've got
some extras of both, but no 'high charge rate' ni-cads (although, I'm
pretty sure I could get some at Tower Hobbies, or similar R/C model
shop).

Anyone ever replace batteries in a Norelco (or other brand) shaver?
Anything I should be aware of or watch out for? Seems like it should
be a pretty straight forward procedure.

TIA

Old August 26th 05, 01:17 AM
Jim Yanik

Darmok wrote in
:

[...]

NiMH cells have a more complicated charge requirement than NiCd.
Unless you plan on designing a new charger,you should only replace with
NiCd cells similar to what you removed.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old August 26th 05, 01:33 AM
Ken Weitzel

Darmok wrote:
[...]

Hi...

I'm in Canada, where Norelco is called Phillips, and I have
one (though there are so many models)

The heads-up I'd offer is to measure the cells carefully
before you get it too far apart at an inconvenient time...
mine has one of the sub-C variations, which is physically
just a little shorter than a AA. Shorter enough that you
can't get it in and still put it back together

Take care.

Ken

Old August 26th 05, 02:16 AM
Bill Janssen

Darmok wrote:

[...]

I replaced the NiCads with new NicCads. No problems after about a year.
Don't remember for sure what size they were but I think they were sub-C.

Bill K7NOM
Old August 26th 05, 04:02 AM
Tom S

"Jim Yanik" . wrote in message .. .
Darmok wrote in
:

[...]

Jim, could you be more specific? Not to hijack anyone's thread,
but we recently replaced a 3.6V NiCd cordless phone battery
pack (600mAh) with 1300mAh NiMH's, and plan to use the
phone's base (150mV input) to recharge it. If we're careful to
time the recharges properly, what other complications could
there be?

Old August 26th 05, 04:53 AM

TomS:
The main complication would be very short battery life.
electricitym
'
'
'

Old August 26th 05, 05:11 AM
Hugh Prescott

"Darmok" wrote in message
[...]

Use nicads with solder tabs. Get then at a hobby shop that supports Radio
Control models.

Have changed mine several times no problems.

Hugh

Old August 26th 05, 05:17 AM
Jim Yanik

"Tom S" wrote in
nk.net:

"Jim Yanik" . wrote in message
.. .
Darmok wrote in
:

[...]

I hope you mean "mA".

to recharge it. If we're careful to
time the recharges properly, what other complications could
there be?

Well,your cells usually still have a partial charge of unknown amount,and
thus charging for the "standard time" will overcharge the cells.
A proper charger will monitor the charge voltage and look for the small V
drop as the cells reach full charge,regardless of the original charge left
on the cells,maximizing cell life.

That's why they are "smart" chargers.
And from what I've read,you can leave the pack on the charger even after it
is fully charged. No "forgetting" and overcharging.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old August 26th 05, 05:42 AM
Ken G.

Yes i have . I have an older 3 head shaver and removed the 2 old AA
batterys and soldered in 2 ordinary Hi-MH AA cells about a year or so
ago and the thing has worked just fine , it does not overheat or act
funny in any way .

Old August 26th 05, 06:44 AM
mike

Darmok wrote:
[...]

Call up a norelco shaver repair place. I don't remember the number,
but I do remember being amazed at how low their battery prices were.
I'd just been thru the hassle of replacing cells and would have just bought
them from Norelco had I realized they were affordable. YMMV
mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
htremovethistp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/