Andy K

Default Replacing Braun 6550 Shaver Batteries??

Hey-

My Braun 6550 shaver (best electric ever, BTW) is in need of new
rechargable batteries, and I refuse to send it in to the "repair shop"
for $45 plus shipping. I assume I can get the batteries somewhere for
$4 each (they look like AA size), and if I can get the old batteries
OUT, I'd save myself time, shipping, and money fixing the shaver
myself.

Anyone done this already? The batteries seem stuck in there (maybe
soldered?), and I don't wanna break the circuit board, etc. I have a
ton of 2100ma AA rechargable batteries...can I use them? What do I
do??

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Andy
Jerry G.

The original batteries are Lithium Hydride batteries. DO NOT use Nicads to
replace them! The charger in the shaver is matched to the specs of the
batteries that are from the manufacture. The original batteries are
expensive. This is normal. It is still cheaper to replace them, rather
than replace the complete shaver. If you can find a source for these
Lithium batteries for $4.00 each with the original specs, you should tell
the repair shop. I am sure he will buy them from you at even $8.00 each, if
these are original factory specs!

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Andy K" wrote in message
om...
Hey-

My Braun 6550 shaver (best electric ever, BTW) is in need of new
rechargable batteries, and I refuse to send it in to the "repair shop"
for $45 plus shipping. I assume I can get the batteries somewhere for
$4 each (they look like AA size), and if I can get the old batteries
OUT, I'd save myself time, shipping, and money fixing the shaver
myself.

Anyone done this already? The batteries seem stuck in there (maybe
soldered?), and I don't wanna break the circuit board, etc. I have a
ton of 2100ma AA rechargable batteries...can I use them? What do I
do??

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Andy

Cher

check this place out.

http://www.aspencer1.com

Li batteries of AA size are usually NOT 1.5V.
the first thing is to verify the voltage, then search.
if they are wired in make sure u get tabs on the batteries to rewire
them. soldering to the case hasn't worked for me and I have been
soldering for lots of years.
Andy K

"Jerry G." wrote in message ...
The original batteries are Lithium Hydride batteries. DO NOT use Nicads to
replace them! The charger in the shaver is matched to the specs of the
batteries that are from the manufacture. The original batteries are
expensive. This is normal. It is still cheaper to replace them, rather
than replace the complete shaver. If you can find a source for these
Lithium batteries for $4.00 each with the original specs, you should tell
the repair shop. I am sure he will buy them from you at even $8.00 each, if
these are original factory specs!

My shaver has "NH" on the back, next to the recycle arrows. I assumed
it meant "Nickel Hydride", and not Lithium Ion? Plus, Lithium
batteries are way more expensive (from a manufacturing
standpoint)...why would Braun use them?

Andy
James A. Jones

Andy K wrote:

My shaver has "NH" on the back, next to the recycle arrows. I assumed
it meant "Nickel Hydride", and not Lithium Ion? Plus, Lithium
batteries are way more expensive (from a manufacturing
standpoint)...why would Braun use them?

Andy, how about the factory Braun service manual? I posted this link
about a year ago:

http://63.230.9.155/braun/Srv_Man/SHAVER/

I replaced the NiMH battery in mine with an equivalent from MCM
electronics, and it has worked fine for over a year now. According to
the cross reference, your 6550 crosses to a model 5704. These are PDF
files, by the way. You'll also find service manuals and parts lists for
Braun electric toothbrushes and household appliances by clicking on the
parent directory. Hope this helps.

James

NICD vs NIMH batteries [email protected] UK diy 12 January 28th 04 01:09 PM
OT Replacing the batteries in a cordless drill battery pack aribert Metalworking 7 December 4th 03 12:41 AM
AAA battery chargers Tim Downie UK diy 8 November 29th 03 01:22 PM
APC SmartUPS smoked with new batteries Jerry G. Electronics Repair 6 November 26th 03 07:17 AM
Ultimate smoke alarm - never need to change batteries! Daniel Morrow Electronics 10 October 10th 03 11:08 PM