mlv

Default Roof Insulation - What/Where to Buy

I'm going to re-insulate my loft. However, the joists are at non-standard
spacings (due mainly to additional joists being fitted for a loft
conversion), so the pre-cut rolls of fibreglass insulation are no use to me.

It used to be possible to buy uncut rolls of fibreglass insulation, but I
can't find them any more.

Can anyone suggest a good source of insulation that I can cut to my chosen
width?

I'm going to lay two layers of 100mm thick and will want a considerable
quantity as the property is a bungalow.
--
Mike
-Please remove 'safetycatch' from e-mail address before firing off your

Lobster

mlv wrote:
I'm going to re-insulate my loft. However, the joists are at non-standard
spacings (due mainly to additional joists being fitted for a loft
conversion), so the pre-cut rolls of fibreglass insulation are no use to me.

It used to be possible to buy uncut rolls of fibreglass insulation, but I
can't find them any more.

How do you mean, 'uncut'? Unless you mean the loose-fill granular stuff?

The rolls of fibreglass insulation are fairly 'flexible' in that within
reason they will fit between joist narrower than intended, and will bulk
up a bit (ie, get deeper, = more insulation). If they are way too wide,
just trim of the excess with a long carving knife while still rolled up
(like cutting a swiss roll!) - if you have non-standard spacings you can
be sure the surplus will be used up.

I'm going to lay two layers of 100mm thick and will want a considerable
quantity as the property is a bungalow.

The second layer should be laid at 90deg to the first, so you'll have no
joist issues there (and it will be much quicker to lay, too).

David
mogga

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 10:21:38 +0100, "mlv"
wrote:

I'm going to re-insulate my loft. However, the joists are at non-standard
spacings (due mainly to additional joists being fitted for a loft
conversion), so the pre-cut rolls of fibreglass insulation are no use to me.

It used to be possible to buy uncut rolls of fibreglass insulation, but I
can't find them any more.

Can anyone suggest a good source of insulation that I can cut to my chosen
width?

I'm going to lay two layers of 100mm thick and will want a considerable
quantity as the property is a bungalow.

http://www.naturalcollection.com/nat...&link colour=
Not that stuff?
--
Promotional codes, discounts, money off
http://www.promotionalcode.co.uk/
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

mlv wrote:
I'm going to re-insulate my loft. However, the joists are at non-standard
spacings (due mainly to additional joists being fitted for a loft
conversion), so the pre-cut rolls of fibreglass insulation are no use to me.

Surely with a loft conversion you wouldn't want to insulate between the
joists anyway apart for sound reduction.

I'd have thought a good dose of insulation just under the tiles would be
the best bet like cellotex/kingspan etc or am I missing something?

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
John Rumm

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

I'm going to re-insulate my loft. However, the joists are at
non-standard spacings (due mainly to additional joists being fitted
for a loft conversion), so the pre-cut rolls of fibreglass insulation
are no use to me.

Surely with a loft conversion you wouldn't want to insulate between the
joists anyway apart for sound reduction.

I am assuming he means the bits of loft left that are not under the new
floor (although may still be crossed by new joists) at the eves etc.

Noise insulation and fire resistance are other reasons for adding
insulation.

I'd have thought a good dose of insulation just under the tiles would be
the best bet like cellotex/kingspan etc or am I missing something?

You will need this as well, otherwise the loft rooms will be a tad freezing!

--
Cheers,

John.

mlv

John Rumm wrote:

I am assuming he means the bits of loft left that are not under
the new floor (although may still be crossed by new joists) at
the eves etc.

Spot on John :-) Plus the loft conversion only covers about half the
bungalow roof area (because the roof in the other areas was too low for
conversion.

Noise insulation and fire resistance are other reasons for
adding insulation.

I am considering putting 100mm of insulation under the loft conversion floor
to help keep the heat downstairs.

I'd have thought a good dose of insulation just under the tiles would be
the best bet like cellotex/kingspan etc or am I missing something?

You will need this as well, otherwise the loft rooms will be a tad
freezing!

Yes, I'll be having that too!
--
Mike
-Please remove 'safetycatch' from e-mail address before firing off your
reply-

mlv

Lobster wrote:

How do you mean, 'uncut'? Unless you mean the loose-fill granular stuff?

Fibreglass insulation usually comes in rolls that are 4ft long, pre-cut into
3 x 16inch widths.

As I don't want 16inch widths, I would prefer an uncut 4ft roll that I can
cut into whatever widths I like.

Uncut rolls used to be readily available. They don't seem to be now.

Pet wrote:
mlv wrote:
I'm going to re-insulate my loft. However, the joists are at non-standard
spacings (due mainly to additional joists being fitted for a loft
conversion), so the pre-cut rolls of fibreglass insulation are no use to me.

Surely with a loft conversion you wouldn't want to insulate between the
joists anyway apart for sound reduction.

I'd have thought a good dose of insulation just under the tiles would be
the best bet like cellotex/kingspan etc or am I missing something?

Hmm, i'm trying to find a supplier of Celotex in the
Hampshire/Camberley area. Wickes and B&Q don't stock it ..

Any ideas all ?

Paul.

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Hmm, i'm trying to find a supplier of Celotex in the
Hampshire/Camberley area. Wickes and B&Q don't stock it ..

Any ideas all ?

I just stumbled across the following
http://www.insulation.org.uk/

Looks like a bit of a non-descriptive directory of insulation suppliers,
but It's got the company I got about 25 off 8'x4' (or whatever)sheets of
46mm cellotex delivered for about £400 which seemed like a good price.

http://www.insulation.org.uk/Avonsid...es_Bristol.htm

Must be similar companies in your area.

HTH

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

mlv wrote:

Fibreglass insulation usually comes in rolls that are 4ft long, pre-cut into
3 x 16inch widths.

As I don't want 16inch widths, I would prefer an uncut 4ft roll that I can
cut into whatever widths I like.

Wickes stuff comes in the usual partial cut 3 width + an extra one right
down the middle which fit's out widely spaced roof thingies spot on.

Though as others have said, just cutting before on-rolling and you can
cut to any width you like. Then I guess you could use the off-cuts at 90
degrees without worrying about the width.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
John Rumm

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

Wickes stuff comes in the usual partial cut 3 width + an extra one right
down the middle which fit's out widely spaced roof thingies spot on.

IME of the isowool variety, it is only partially cut through. So if you
cut it elsewhere and don't pull it apart at the pre-cut sections you get
to have any size you want.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

mlv wrote:

Noise insulation and fire resistance are other reasons for
adding insulation.

I am considering putting 100mm of insulation under the loft conversion floor
to help keep the heat downstairs.

Ah, missed the bungalow bit - hence why the BCO did not insist on it for
fire protection (rules are less strict going from one storey to two than
they are for two to three)

I'd have thought a good dose of insulation just under the tiles would be
the best bet like cellotex/kingspan etc or am I missing something?

You will need this as well, otherwise the loft rooms will be a tad
freezing!

Yes, I'll be having that too!

TBH, the under tile insulation is all you need in the bits covered by
floor - since those rooms will presumably be heated and not dissimilar
in temperature to the rest of the house the heat flow into them will be
limited.

--
Cheers,

John.

Chris Bacon

John Rumm wrote:
Pet wrote:
Wickes stuff comes in the usual partial cut 3 width + an extra one
right down the middle which fit's out widely spaced roof thingies spot
on.

IME of the isowool variety, it is only partially cut through. So if you
cut it elsewhere and don't pull it apart at the pre-cut sections you get
to have any size you want.

It falls to bits if the cuts are anywhere near the
perforations, but can be OK. A panel saw is the best
way to cut the roll, IMO.

floor or roof insulation Jackie UK diy 9 September 20th 05 08:33 PM
Followup: Roof insulation materials Anna Kettle UK diy 23 July 6th 05 11:53 AM
Insulation on loft roof - insulation blankets...? Simon Hawthorne UK diy 10 April 18th 05 09:55 PM
New roof - shingles, underneath wood, and extra insulation? Walter Cohen Home Repair 4 March 14th 04 01:19 PM
Best possible insulation for 2x4 walls? _firstname_@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca.us Home Ownership 4 January 24th 04 11:40 AM