Grunff

Default diybanter posts - how many of you filter them out?

I'm seriously considering killing all diybanter posts - I'm beginning to
find the noise level just a little too high for my liking.

Just wondering how many others do this? Am I just being an intolerant git?

--
Grunff
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Huge wrote:
Grunff writes:
I'm seriously considering killing all diybanter posts - I'm
beginning to find the noise level just a little too high for my
liking.

Just wondering how many others do this?

charon{huge}401: grep diybanter ~/News/KILL
/diybanter.com/h:j

Me, apparently.

Am I just being an intolerant git?

No. It's your bandwidth, computer and time. Why read anything you
don't want to?

Precisely, which what this amounts to. :-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Grunff

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Precisely, which what this amounts to. :-)

That reminds me, I really need to killfile a whole bunch of these newbies...

--
Grunff
fred

In article , Grunff
writes
I'm seriously considering killing all diybanter posts - I'm beginning to
find the noise level just a little too high for my liking.

Just wondering how many others do this? Am I just being an intolerant git?

tick, this one and no, not intolerant to block a broken posting engine,
the more that block it hopefully the fewer post will come from it until it
shrivels and dies.

Don't know the syntax for thunderbird but it'll need to be a full header
search to get rid of replies too by killing the cross references, ala
/news.diybanter/h
--
fred
Grunff

fred wrote:

Don't know the syntax for thunderbird but it'll need to be a full header
search to get rid of replies too by killing the cross references, ala
/news.diybanter/h

That's ok, the mechanism's not a problem - it's the "should I do it"
that's bothering me.

--
Grunff

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Grunff wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Precisely, which what this amounts to. :-)

That reminds me, I really need to killfile a whole bunch of these
newbies...

One wonders why you have to remind yourself in doing so?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

fred

In article , Grunff
writes
fred wrote:

Don't know the syntax for thunderbird but it'll need to be a full header
search to get rid of replies too by killing the cross references, ala
/news.diybanter/h

That's ok, the mechanism's not a problem - it's the "should I do it"
that's bothering me.

You can always test drive it for a week to see if peace & tranquility flows
but then I also imagine you're testing the water to see if others will do this
en masse; a protest is no use if no-one sees it ?.
--
fred
Doctor Drivel

"Grunff" wrote in message
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Precisely, which what this amounts to. :-)

That reminds me, I really need to killfile a whole bunch of these

newbies...

If you want an old buddies club start your own password forum, otherwise
leave the group.

Grunff

fred wrote:

You can always test drive it for a week to see if peace & tranquility flows
but then I also imagine you're testing the water to see if others will do this
en masse; a protest is no use if no-one sees it ?.

Not at all - that's not how I work. It was just a Monday morning
thought, having seen the large number of diybanter derived posts which I
consider to be noise.

--
Grunff
Grunff

Doctor Drivel wrote:

If you want an old buddies club start your own password forum, otherwise
leave the group.

Don't worry, I'll *never* killfile you.

BTW, I know we tried last year, but worth another try. How about coming
down to the Axminster tool show in November? I know quite a few people
who'd love to meet you.

--
Grunff

Grunff

TheScullster wrote:

I don't understand this, can you explain please?
Is diybanter a particular source of postings?

Yes, http://www.diybanter.com/ is a web bb (running vBulletin) which
provides a web front-end for some newsgroups. It harvests posts from
newsgroups and displays them on the site, and it allows people to post
to those newsgroups directly from the site.

The purpose of the site is to make money for the company who built it,
via AdWords.

The problem is it allows large numbers of semi-literate web users to
post. This increases the noise in the groups.

--
Grunff
Bob Mannix

"Grunff" wrote in message
I'm seriously considering killing all diybanter posts - I'm beginning to
find the noise level just a little too high for my liking.

Just wondering how many others do this? Am I just being an intolerant git?

Not quite sure why you wish to tell us that you are "seriously considerng"
as

a) Such a statement (and my response) are just more noise
b) Killing postings is surely something you just do or don't do - why should
you seek approval for something that is tour personal preference?

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

TheScullster

"Grunff" wrote:

I'm seriously considering killing all diybanter posts

I don't understand this, can you explain please?
Is diybanter a particular source of postings?

Phil

Chris Bacon

Grunff wrote:
I'm seriously considering killing all diybanter posts - I'm beginning to
find the noise level just a little too high for my liking.

Just wondering how many others do this? Am I just being an intolerant git?

Can you point me to a problem post? Is the noise, or
any possible "brokenness" the issue?
TheScullster

"Grunff" wrote:

That reminds me, I really need to killfile a whole bunch of these
newbies...

Why would you do that?
Are they not worthy of your assistance?

I consider myself a relative newbie, having only returned to "serious" DIY
in the last 3-4 years.
It would be a serious loss to have the more experienced members
ignoring/blocking my posts!
I always express my gratitude to anyone who helps and try to return this
assistance where I can.
Is this not what the group's about?

Phil

Grunff

Chris Bacon wrote:

Can you point me to a problem post? Is the noise, or
any possible "brokenness" the issue?

It's a combination. Most recently examples:

U-Build Machine & Power Tools Catalog - advert
Water pipe descaler units - magnetic water softners
repair lead mains water pipe - triple post
Potterton Problem - double post

--
Grunff
Chris Bacon

Grunff wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Can you point me to a problem post? Is the noise, or
any possible "brokenness" the issue?

It's a combination. Most recently examples:

U-Build Machine & Power Tools Catalog - advert
Water pipe descaler units - magnetic water softners
repair lead mains water pipe - triple post
Potterton Problem - double post

Hm, I try and not filter anything out, which is probably
why I'm a bit sensitive to Drivel, Fisher, etc., who are
a considerable source of noise. I did dump Fisher, but
(very occasionally) there are contributions to Drivel's
stuff (though not normally by Drivel) so I haven't kf'd
him. The catalogue above is an outrage, but worth dropping
the whole lot for? Water softeners seem to be a normal
hazard here. Multiple posts, we've all done it, I guess -
post, find a few minutes later the post ain't there, re-
send it (or "keyboard bounce")... so, all in all, I would
personally not KF.

Are the above unfortunates the sum total of diypunter
contributions? i.e. are there any useful/interesting ones?
Grunff

Chris Bacon wrote:

Multiple posts, we've all done it, I guess -
post, find a few minutes later the post ain't there, re-
send it (or "keyboard bounce")... so, all in all, I would
personally not KF.

Sure - no argument there, but I think that the diybanter posting
mechanism encourages people to post several times - there seem to be
many instances of double and triple posts from diybanter.

Are the above unfortunates the sum total of diypunter
contributions?

There are a couple of legitimate questions posted today and yesterday,
but the ones I listed outweigh them by 3:1

--
Grunff
Chris Bacon

Grunff wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:

Multiple posts, we've all done it, I guess -
post, find a few minutes later the post ain't there, re-
send it (or "keyboard bounce")... so, all in all, I would
personally not KF.

Sure - no argument there, but I think that the diybanter posting
mechanism encourages people to post several times - there seem to be
many instances of double and triple posts from diybanter.

Are the above unfortunates the sum total of diypunter
contributions?

There are a couple of legitimate questions posted today and yesterday,
but the ones I listed outweigh them by 3:1

Sounds like a communique to "diybanter" is in order - if
they know there's a problem, they may be able to change
the text on wherever the posting page is to warn of
multiple postings, or something. If they can't be run out
of town, perhaps they may listen to constructive comment.
TheScullster

"Grunff" wrote

Yes, http://www.diybanter.com/ is a web bb (running vBulletin) which

snip

Thanks Grunff

Doctor Drivel

"Grunff" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

If you want an old buddies club start your own password forum, otherwise
leave the group.

Don't worry, I'll *never* killfile you.

Please do. You must killfile me.

John Rumm

Grunff wrote:

That's ok, the mechanism's not a problem - it's the "should I do it"
that's bothering me.

How about we add a faq page explaining the limits of these web forum
efforts, plus some guidance on how to access and use the group correctly?

That way we could point new diybanter folks at it when they pop up.

--
Cheers,

John.

Grunff

John Rumm wrote:

How about we add a faq page explaining the limits of these web forum
efforts, plus some guidance on how to access and use the group correctly?

That way we could point new diybanter folks at it when they pop up.

That's a really good idea! Hmm...let's see...who's really good at
writing FAQs. ;-)

--
Grunff
Matt

"Doctor Drivel" dribbled incoherently:

"Grunff" wrote in message

.. .
Doctor Drivel wrote:

If you want an old buddies club start your own password forum, otherwise
leave the group.

Don't worry, I'll *never* killfile you.

Please do. You must kill me.

Obvious typo corrected in the public interest.

Doctor Drivel

"Matt" a complete weirdo wrote in message
"Doctor Drivel" dribbled incoherently:

"Grunff" wrote in message

.. .
Doctor Drivel wrote:

If you want an old buddies club start your own password forum,

otherwise
leave the group.

Don't worry, I'll *never* killfile you.

Please do. You must kill me.

Obvious typo corrected in the public interest.

Yes, public is interested in weirdoes like you.

Chris Bacon

Matt wrote:
Obvious typo corrected in the public interest.

Not in mine, why not stop all this wank.
Doctor Drivel

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Matt wrote:
Obvious typo corrected in the public interest.

Not in mine, why not stop all this wank.

The only way to stop him (his name is not Matt) is lock him back up in the
clinic. Sad but true.

Roger

The message ws.net
from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

That reminds me, I really need to killfile a whole bunch of these

newbies...

If you want an old buddies club start your own password forum, otherwise
leave the group.

If we all killfiled dribble would he shrivel up and die? Tempting prospect.

--
Roger Chapman
dave stanton

Sounds like a communique to "diybanter" is in order - if
they know there's a problem, they may be able to change
the text on wherever the posting page is to warn of
multiple postings, or something. If they can't be run out
of town, perhaps they may listen to constructive comment.

Are you taking bets on this...?g

Dave

Chris Bacon

dave stanton wrote:
Sounds like a communique to "diybanter" is in order - if
they know there's a problem, they may be able to change
the text on wherever the posting page is to warn of
multiple postings, or something. If they can't be run out
of town, perhaps they may listen to constructive comment.

Are you taking bets on this...?g

Oh, no, not at all... however, most people react badly
to abuse, and better to reasonable suggestion.. shall I
e-mail?
Doctor Drivel

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message ws.net
from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

That reminds me, I really need to killfile a whole bunch of these

newbies...

If you want an old buddies club start your own password forum, otherwise
leave the group.

If we all

...his name is Roger, Roger the Dodger
...but likes be know as the senile old Codger

...the truth be known we arn't sure he's a man
...thrown out of drop-in centres for being a sham

...he bodges away, from morn till night
...this stupid old fool is an awsome sight

...the speed of the bodging gives a wake
...this senile old fool needs committing for God's sake

John Rumm

Grunff wrote:

That's a really good idea! Hmm...let's see...who's really good at
writing FAQs. ;-)

Hmmm. now how did I know that was coming! ;-)

Perhaps we ought to do a Dr Dribble FAQ at the same time - save posting
the same rebuttal over and over...

--
Cheers,

John.

Chris Bacon

John Rumm wrote:
Perhaps we ought to do a Dr Dribble FAQ at the same time - save posting
the same rebuttal over and over...

Didn't work at all for u.e.c, unfortunately. This stuff may
just pander to the needs of unfortunate minds.
Doctor Drivel

"Grunff" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

If you want an old buddies club start your own password forum, otherwise
leave the group.

Don't worry, I'll *never* killfile you.

...Grunff, Grunff, Grunff, Grunff
...a noise that's made by swine
...Grunff, Grunff, Grunff, Grunff
...he views the dirty *******s fine
...Grunff, Grunff, Grunff, Grunff
...a noise a shieking grunt and shrill
...Grunff, Grunff, Grunff, Grunff
...the greedy *******s eat all the swill

...so when you see that name upon your monitor
...a pig so filthy is behind the moniker

Matt

Roger wrote:

The message ws.net
from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

That reminds me, I really need to killfile a whole bunch of these

newbies...

If you want an old buddies club start your own password forum, otherwise
leave the group.

If we all killfiled dribble would he shrivel up and die? Tempting prospect.

No, he would come back under one of his many aliases/sock puppets.
Dribble just craves attention, the result some have said of being
bottle fed from an infant to the present day. Sad but true.

Chris Bacon

Matt wrote:
Roger wrote:
If we all killfiled dribble would he shrivel up and die? Tempting prospect.

No, he would come back under one of his many aliases/sock puppets.
Dribble just craves attention,

Well, don't effing well give it to him.

Sad but truethe result some have said of being
bottle fed from an infant to the present day.Sad but true.

Stop spoon-feeding him then! STFU!
raden

In message , Grunff
writes
I'm seriously considering killing all diybanter posts - I'm beginning
to find the noise level just a little too high for my liking.

Just wondering how many others do this? Am I just being an intolerant git?

Well, I was sort of waiting for someone else to post, yes it's beginning
to **** me off

I did try sounding people out during the avenue supplies postings, but
got little response

--
geoff
raden

In message , Grunff
writes
Doctor Drivel wrote:

If you want an old buddies club start your own password forum, otherwise
leave the group.

Don't worry, I'll *never* killfile you.

BTW, I know we tried last year, but worth another try. How about coming
down to the Axminster tool show in November? I know quite a few people
who'd love to meet you.

DIMM's just too much of a coward to do anything like that

safe in his anonymity, he thinks

--
geoff
raden

In message , Grunff
writes
John Rumm wrote:

How about we add a faq page explaining the limits of these web forum
efforts, plus some guidance on how to access and use the group
correctly?
That way we could point new diybanter folks at it when they pop up.

That's a really good idea! Hmm...let's see...who's really good at
writing FAQs. ;-)

Well, it might be useful if any of them actually bothered to read it

--
geoff