Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Desperate for advice on central heating

Hi Guys
My first post!! After extensive research on the web I am close to
tearing my hair out. I was hoping you could advise me. I live in a
1950's semi with double glazing - wooden floors, cavity wall (not sure
if insulated) and the loft space is not insulated.

We are situated adjoining farmland and regularly have strong winds
blowing against the house - which seems to find it's way indoors
through the floorboards and somehow even the doubleglazing???? (or it's
my imagination).

Our only heating is a few storage heaters which a) Cost us an arm and a
leg to run - and b) Don't warm the house up to any liveable standard.
So we supplement them with oil heaters. In winter this little lark sets
us back around =A3120/mth in electric charges AND most of the house is
still freezing! Last winter we changed to a "Heatwise" tarrif that
gives us economy 7 heating 3 times a day instead of just after
midnight. This helped slightly but still bordering on stupid.

So - I have a few options.
1) Install oil heating. Roughly =A35k. Not so cheap to run I gather.
2) Install more storage heaters. Going to cost me even more every
month!
3) Install heatpump and underfloor heating. Cheapest monthly cost but
God only knows how much to install. Guessing =A310k+ if you include
ripping up the floor to install wet system.
4) Air conditioner central heating (No idea how much this costs to run)
And a few other systems which I can't find any info' on.

(OOPS - NO GAS in the village!!)

What the hell do I do!?!? I want the house to be warm throughout but to
be able to keep it that way for a reasonable cost.

Anyone with experience in this area please advise.

Many thanks
Fly