Old September 16th 05, 10:51 PM
Peter Hughes

Default B&Q Performance Pro portable table saw.

Popped into the local B&Q today and found them selling their Performance
Pro 10" portable table saw for a tad under 50 (claimed 75 off). On
top of this it's a 10% discount weekend, so it seemed rather rude not to
buy one at 45.

Now I'm not expecting miracles at this price - I've bought cheap power
tools (e.g. Wickes (Silverline?) 1650 1/2" router - ha-ha!!) and wished
I hadn't, but i've got a few little jobs to do where a table saw might
be useful so here we go.

So, have I bought a donkey, or with a little careful setting up can it
be useful? Hints/ tips etc? I can already see the guide is only
clamped at one end so is not reliably exactly square, and a few test
cuts show the blade bends off vertical quite easily so it don't look too
good!!

Peter

Old September 16th 05, 11:40 PM
david lang

Peter Hughes wrote:
|| Popped into the local B&Q today and found them selling their
|| Performance Pro 10" portable table saw for a tad under 50 (claimed
|| 75 off). On top of this it's a 10% discount weekend, so it seemed
|| rather rude not to buy one at 45.

Hi Peter

If it's the one with wheels on one set of legs,
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produc...ODID=7 940061
it's almost certainly made by Ryobi, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Add one of these
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...ile=1&jump =0

Which bizarrely will cost as much as the saw and you are in business. Can't
recommend this fence upgrade too highly - completely transformed my
Charnwood table saw.

Dave

Old September 17th 05, 12:27 AM
Andy Hall

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 21:51:38 +0000 (UTC), Peter Hughes
wrote:

Popped into the local B&Q today and found them selling their Performance
Pro 10" portable table saw for a tad under 50 (claimed 75 off). On
top of this it's a 10% discount weekend, so it seemed rather rude not to
buy one at 45.

You would have been better off being rude.

So, have I bought a donkey, or with a little careful setting up can it
be useful? Hints/ tips etc? I can already see the guide is only
clamped at one end so is not reliably exactly square, and a few test
cuts show the blade bends off vertical quite easily so it don't look too
good!!

Peter

If there is a way to fasten the fence at both ends or replace it with
a better one, then you might be able to address that issue.

A decent blade is almost always an improvement but could cost more
than the saw.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl