Al

Default Plumbing: Are those white push-fit end-caps reliable on 15mm copper pipe?

Are those cheap (B&Q, etc) white plastic push-fit end-caps reliable on
15mm copper pipe in a gas-fired domestic central heating system? I
just removed a radiator and used these to cap off the feed and return
pipes. I was alarmed when I saw how easy they push on and pull off by
hand. Has anyone known one to work loose? The pressure of my system
goes up to 2 bar.

Thanks..

Al

Ian Stirling

Al wrote:
Are those cheap (B&Q, etc) white plastic push-fit end-caps reliable on
15mm copper pipe in a gas-fired domestic central heating system? I
just removed a radiator and used these to cap off the feed and return
pipes. I was alarmed when I saw how easy they push on and pull off by
hand. Has anyone known one to work loose? The pressure of my system
goes up to 2 bar.

1 bar = 1Kg/m^2 of pressure.
2 bar = 2Kg/m^2 of pressure.
15mm pipe has an area a bit more than 1 square centimeter, so you're probably
looking at a force of around 3Kg.
Obtain a 3Kg weight, and compare the forces.
Andy

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Al wrote:
Are those cheap (B&Q, etc) white plastic push-fit end-caps reliable on
15mm copper pipe in a gas-fired domestic central heating system? I
just removed a radiator and used these to cap off the feed and return
pipes. I was alarmed when I saw how easy they push on and pull off by
hand. Has anyone known one to work loose? The pressure of my system
goes up to 2 bar.

1 bar = 1Kg/m^2 of pressure.
2 bar = 2Kg/m^2 of pressure.
15mm pipe has an area a bit more than 1 square centimeter, so you're
probably
looking at a force of around 3Kg.
Obtain a 3Kg weight, and compare the forces.

I think you mean 1 bar = 1kg/cm^2, non?!

Andy.

Ian Stirling

Al wrote:
Are those cheap (B&Q, etc) white plastic push-fit end-caps reliable on
15mm copper pipe in a gas-fired domestic central heating system? I
just removed a radiator and used these to cap off the feed and return
pipes. I was alarmed when I saw how easy they push on and pull off by
hand. Has anyone known one to work loose? The pressure of my system
goes up to 2 bar.

1 bar = 1Kg/m^2 of pressure.
2 bar = 2Kg/m^2 of pressure.
15mm pipe has an area a bit more than 1 square centimeter, so you're
probably
looking at a force of around 3Kg.
Obtain a 3Kg weight, and compare the forces.

I think you mean 1 bar = 1kg/cm^2, non?!

Yes.
I'd claim a dodgy c key, but it was simply not thinking while typing.
Christian McArdle

I was alarmed when I saw how easy they push on and pull off by
hand. Has anyone known one to work loose? The pressure of my system
goes up to 2 bar.

No problem with them on copper. However, if you can pull them off again,
then you either aren't pushing them on enough, or the joints have been
misassembled, so the grab ring is ineffective.

Christian.

Al

Thanks to all who responded. After reading your comments I found I
could push them on a further 5mm than I had realised. Hopefully they
will now hold! Many thanks!

Al

Christian McArdle

Thanks to all who responded. After reading your comments I found I
could push them on a further 5mm than I had realised. Hopefully they
will now hold! Many thanks!

You'll probably find the first "click" is the O-ring, which provides the
seal. The second "click" is probably the lock ring going onto the copper,
which stops it coming apart.

Christian.