r.p.mcmurphy

Default Guttering

Hi, I'm refurbing my 1820s cottage. it has plastic square stuff fitted,
which i want to replace with something more in keeping with the cottage
style. what's available out there?

steve

AlexW

r.p.mcmurphy wrote:
Hi, I'm refurbing my 1820s cottage. it has plastic square stuff fitted,
which i want to replace with something more in keeping with the cottage
style. what's available out there?

steve

I like the look of the screwfix alum. stuff
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...9026&id=101610 but can't
afford it for the whole house.

Reclaimed iron stuff from a salvage/reclamation yard would do the trick
but might be more effort intensive to refurbish.

I believe that you can now get new metal guttering to fit old iron
systems so a mix and match approach is possible - try your local BMs etc
they might have something like this.

HTH,

Alex.
Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:22:57 +0100, "r.p.mcmurphy"
wrote:

| Hi, I'm refurbing my 1820s cottage. it has plastic square stuff fitted,
| which i want to replace with something more in keeping with the cottage
| style. what's available out there?

Seen some black extruded/rolled aluminium stuff on an old house which
looked fine.

http://www.rainguard.co.uk/rainwater/aluminium/xlgp.cfm
Several types available, this is the one which Google produced.

This needs a machine in the back of a van to produce. Look for a small
firm which does them in your area.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
"Intelligent Design?" my knees say *not*.
Will Dean

"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote in message
Hi, I'm refurbing my 1820s cottage. it has plastic square stuff fitted,
which i want to replace with something more in keeping with the cottage
style. what's available out there?

I think you'll find the best stuff is the extruded aluminium, which you can
get pre-finished (powder coated) - 'Stormguard' is one make. You can get it
in appropriate profiles to look like cast iron. There's a cast aluminium
product which looks even more like cast iron (it has the proper sockets),
but I don't know anything about that.

This is a completely different product to the rolled 'seamless guttering'
crap which they make in the back of a van (or is it on the back of a horse?)

Will

Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 11:14:50 +0100, "Will Dean"
wrote:

| "r.p.mcmurphy" wrote in message
| Hi, I'm refurbing my 1820s cottage. it has plastic square stuff fitted,
| which i want to replace with something more in keeping with the cottage
| style. what's available out there?
|
| I think you'll find the best stuff is the extruded aluminium, which you can
| get pre-finished (powder coated) - 'Stormguard' is one make. You can get it
| in appropriate profiles to look like cast iron. There's a cast aluminium
| product which looks even more like cast iron (it has the proper sockets),
| but I don't know anything about that.
|
| This is a completely different product to the rolled 'seamless guttering'
| crap which they make in the back of a van (or is it on the back of a horse?)

Seen that put on a *builder's* own 1850s house. Looked good to me.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
"Intelligent Design?" my knees say *not*.
"Intelligent Design?" my back says *not*.

Mary Fisher

"Will Dean" wrote in message
.. .
"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote in message
Hi, I'm refurbing my 1820s cottage. it has plastic square stuff fitted,
which i want to replace with something more in keeping with the cottage
style. what's available out there?

I think you'll find the best stuff is the extruded aluminium, which you
can get pre-finished (powder coated) - 'Stormguard' is one make. You can
get it in appropriate profiles to look like cast iron. There's a cast
aluminium product which looks even more like cast iron (it has the proper
sockets), but I don't know anything about that.

This is a completely different product to the rolled 'seamless guttering'
crap which they make in the back of a van (or is it on the back of a
horse?)

The rolled seamless aluminium guttering which was made in the back of a van
we have is anything but crap. It's excellent, strong, deep and looks like
cast iron from the ground. I had my doubts but now I'm converted.

What's your experience? Or are you making a judgement withour experience?

Mary

Will

Set Square

Will Dean wrote:

This is a completely different product to the rolled 'seamless
guttering' crap which they make in the back of a van (or is it on the
back of a horse?)

What's your objection to this stuff? It may not be suitable for the OP, but
it's fine on more modern properties - and a *lot* less problematical than
plastic guttering.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

alex

I'm refurbishing my garden shed. where can I purchase new guttering

AlexW

alex wrote:
I'm refurbishing my garden shed. where can I purchase new guttering

Loads of places...

Wickes, B&Q, Homebase? Screwfix, Focus? Most builders merchants. Many
local DIY shops...

Bob Mannix

"alex" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm refurbishing my garden shed. where can I purchase new guttering

I did the same and wanted 76mm (3") guttering. I got mine on line from

http://www.master-plastics.co.uk/

and very good it was too.

Bob Mannix

Set Square

alex wrote:

I'm refurbishing my garden shed. where can I purchase new guttering

All the sheds sell guttering! g
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Bob Mannix

"Set Square" wrote in message
alex wrote:

I'm refurbishing my garden shed. where can I purchase new guttering

All the sheds sell guttering! g

They don't all sell 3" guttering or, if they do, they never have all the
bits in stock. 3" guttering looks best on a shed (IMHO).

Bob Mannix

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article ,
r.p.mcmurphy wrote:

how much did this cost?

How much did WHAT cost?

AJL

Mary Fisher

"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote in message
how much did this cost?

steve

I can't find the receipt, I'll have to ask Spouse.

Until later,

Mary

r.p.mcmurphy

what do you mean "How much did WHAT cost?"..its obvious what I'm talking
about and what I'm replying to...but if you need it spelling out to you, I'm
asking Mary how much did it cost to gutter her house.

steve

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
r.p.mcmurphy wrote:

how much did this cost?

How much did WHAT cost?

AJL

ben

r.p.mcmurphy wrote:
what do you mean "How much did WHAT cost?"..its obvious what I'm
talking about and what I'm replying to...but if you need it spelling
out to you, I'm asking Mary how much did it cost to gutter her house.

steve

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
r.p.mcmurphy wrote:

how much did this cost?

How much did WHAT cost?

AJL

Yep! but you replied to the wrong posting. :-) I think you got his back up
top posting. :-(

ben

r.p.mcmurphy wrote:
Oh dear. Naughty me;-)

steve

:-)

fixes top posting automatically

Matt

"ben" wrote:

r.p.mcmurphy wrote:
Oh dear. Naughty me;-)

steve

:-)

fixes top posting automatically

So does a killfile

r.p.mcmurphy wrote:

what do you mean "How much did WHAT cost?"..its obvious what I'm talking
about

No it isn't. You have posted your comment before a ream of untrimmed
irrelevance. Did you actually read the link I provided, or do you just know
best?

--
AJL
** Would you like to learn to post effectively? **

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , r.p.mcmurphy
wrote:

Oh dear. Naughty me;-)

You obviously don't want to communicate.

*plonk*

--
AJL

r.p.mcmurphy

Mary Fisher wrote:
"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote in message
how much did this cost?

steve

I can't find the receipt, I'll have to ask Spouse.

Until later,

Mary

Thanks Mary. It will be usefull. How big is your house, for cost
comparisons sake. i have a large cottage.

Thanks

steve

Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:
"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote in message
how much did this cost?

steve

I can't find the receipt, I'll have to ask Spouse.

Until later,

Mary

Thanks Mary. It will be usefull. How big is your house, for cost
comparisons sake. i have a large cottage.

Thanks

steve

Spouse says it ws £400, all fitting included.

Ours is a 'larger' semi detached house, about 8 metres wide, 9 metres
deep.We also have a small guttered porch which was also guttered.

The guttering is great, no leaks, no overflow even in the heaviest rain
(such as we had yesterday - 2" in 30 minutes, I measured) and it means we
can save a lot more water in butts for the garden, thus saving on our
metered water bills. And no maintenance.

The workmen were efficient and co-operative.

And I don't give a toss about what anyone else says about it. Our experience
is all that matters to us.

Mary

r.p.mcmurphy

Mary Fisher wrote:
"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote in
message ...
[...]

How did you find the company who did the work? are they a national outfit
or local?

steve

Mary Fisher

How did you find the company who did the work? are they a national outfit
or local?

They were local (Leeds, Yorkshire).

I hate to say it but a large card was put through the door. I discarded it -
but remembered it because it was well printed and in perfect English.

A few days later we asked a neighbour who had done his guttering, he said
that company, he said how pleased he'd been with their efficiency and the
result. Later we asked someone else, got the same company and the same
response. So Spouse telephoned to ask for a quote.

The chap came round, measured up, went away and sent an exemplary printed
quote. He couldn't do the job for a couple of weeks because he was going
way. He did it when he came back - and while in conversation it turned out
that he was in the same form as one of our daughters at school

That's irrelevant, just made the whole thing more memorable.

While we're also very pleased with the cavity wall insulation I can't
remember any such details about that company!

Mary

steve

r.p.mcmurphy

Mary Fisher wrote:
[...]

many thanks for your help! Dont s'pose you have any pictures of it you coud
send me? dont put yourself out though.

Cheers!

steve

Mary Fisher

many thanks for your help! Dont s'pose you have any pictures of it you
coud send me? dont put yourself out though.

I could take some but you wouldn't be any wiser, it just looks like, well,
guttering.

Neverthelss, I'll take the old shoebox outside now.

see you lter.

Mary

Cheers!

steve

Soil pipe and guttering Jason UK diy 5 July 4th 05 09:58 PM
Guttering cleaning? John Smith UK diy 4 December 6th 04 11:36 AM
Guttering John UK diy 24 June 17th 04 08:14 AM
Joining guttering at 170 degrees Andrew Mawson UK diy 10 February 28th 04 07:14 PM
Fascias and guttering Kevin Duggan UK diy 1 January 14th 04 02:56 PM