Chris

Default Do condensing boilers need more maintenance?

I've had conflicting reports about this - and so I'm here to consult the
experts! When considering combi boilers, do condensing boilers need
more or less maintenance?
--
Chris
Andy Hall

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:39:54 +0100, Chris ] wrote:

I've had conflicting reports about this - and so I'm here to consult the
experts! When considering combi boilers, do condensing boilers need
more or less maintenance?

Older UK designs of condensing boiler were frequently done by adding a
secondary heat exchanger to an existing product. The problem was that
the condensate, which is mildly acidic, would tend to corrode the
metal parts. Added to this, some control systems on these left
something to be desired.

The UK was quite a way behind much of continental Europe in regard to
condensing boiler technology, and they have been in use in Germany and
Holland for 15 years at least, with most manufacturers on their 4th
generation of product.

From April just gone, it has been a legal requirement (part L1 of
Building Regulations) to fit a condensing boiler (new build or
replacement) unless there are specific installation issues (defined in
a document on www.odpm.gov.uk So in that sense, you won't have a
choice unless you can achieve enough exemption points according to the
regulation. It is quite hard to do this.

Given that situation, it is best to go for a good quality condensing
boiler from a German manufacturer or to a German design.

Among these are Vaillant, Worcester Bosch, Viessmann, MAN and a range
of prices.

Things to look for:

-Heat exchanger of stainless steel (or a specific aluminium for the
job)

- Down firing or radial burner, not upfiring.

- Condensate carrying components suitable - typically plastic.

Most manufacturers will recommend annual maintenance and that is
prudent anyway.

More recent designs of non-condensing boiler have been very similar to
condensing products in that they have similar controls and most other
components similar apart from condensate arrangements.

As long as you buy a good product as detailed, there is nothing to
suggest that there is any less reliability with a condensing product.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Blair

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
I've had conflicting reports about this - and so I'm here to consult the
experts! When considering combi boilers, do condensing boilers need
more or less maintenance?
--
Chris

I have had my oil condensing boiler for 11 years and apart from an annual
maintenance I have had no problems.
My boiler was manufactured in Germany
Blair

Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
Best Condensing boilers Boovee UK diy 50 February 1st 05 02:49 PM
Condensing boilers rule? Rob UK diy 72 November 26th 04 08:52 PM
Condensing boilers and pluming James UK diy 32 March 17th 04 10:02 PM
Condensing Boilers - Suitable models Mika UK diy 3 February 5th 04 07:48 AM