Steve

Default Adjusting domestic door closers

I would like to slacken off the door closers in a 2 year old house
because they slam like the gates of hell at the moment.

These are hollow internal doors and the visible parts of the closer
consist of 2 small oblong brass plates, one on the back edge of the door
about half way down, the other on the adjacent part of the door frame.
They are joined by a short length of something very similar to bicycle
chain, which disappears in to the body of the door when it is closed.

Obviously, when the door is open, this chain is under tension and I am
very wary of removing the brass plate on the back of the door when it is
like this. Is this kind of closer adjustable and does anybody have any
tips about doing it succesfully, while also keeping all of my fingers?

TIA

Steve
Peter Andrews

"Steve" wrote in message
k...
I would like to slacken off the door closers in a 2 year old house because
they slam like the gates of hell at the moment.

These are hollow internal doors and the visible parts of the closer
consist of 2 small oblong brass plates, one on the back edge of the door
about half way down, the other on the adjacent part of the door frame.
They are joined by a short length of something very similar to bicycle
chain, which disappears in to the body of the door when it is closed.

Obviously, when the door is open, this chain is under tension and I am
very wary of removing the brass plate on the back of the door when it is
like this. Is this kind of closer adjustable and does anybody have any
tips about doing it succesfully, while also keeping all of my fingers?

TIA

Steve

They probably can't be adjusted so most people simply remove them, balance
of risk seems to be that you are more likely to lose your fingers than burn!

Without admitting any liability remove as follows: With the door open as far
as possible clamp a mole wrench or similar onto the chain close to the door,
close door slightly. Chain should be slacker(?) remove the four screws from
door frame, then carefully remove clamp. Closer will now snap shut into
door edge - leave in place so that it can be refixed if necessary.

Peter

Mr Fuxit

Open the door fully, push a suitably sized nail or other metal rod
through a link of the chain adjacent to the portion of the closer which
is in the door.
Remove the screws and withdraw the unit from the door.
The door part is threaded together and can be unscrewed to remove some
of the tension from the spring.
Refit the unit, push the door open to tension the spring, and remove
the nail.
Please note that, all the time this type of unit is fitted to a door,
the door will slam to a greater or lesser degree depending on the
tension of the spring.

DJC

Steve wrote:
I would like to slacken off the door closers in a 2 year old house
because they slam like the gates of hell at the moment.

These are hollow internal doors and the visible parts of the closer
consist of 2 small oblong brass plates, one on the back edge of the door
about half way down, the other on the adjacent part of the door frame.
They are joined by a short length of something very similar to bicycle
chain, which disappears in to the body of the door when it is closed.

Obviously, when the door is open, this chain is under tension and I am
very wary of removing the brass plate on the back of the door when it is
like this. Is this kind of closer adjustable and does anybody have any
tips about doing it succesfully, while also keeping all of my fingers?

Perko door closers
Yes.
Open door wide
clamp chain with Mole wrench at door end
undo plate on frame
turn mole to slacken off tension
or remove the dammed thing altogether.

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"
Matt

"Michael Mcneil" wrote:

"DJC" wrote in message
.uk

Perko door closers

You might wish to buy, or at least inspect one before doing the job.
They
usually come with a little pin to slip in the chain for adjustment.

Once you have seen how they look in the nude, you will have the
confidence to deal with them.

I did that in B&Q and got some strange looks :-)

Domestic Oil Tanks? Pepper UK diy 8 May 7th 05 11:14 PM
Adjusting audio head on Pana NV-9100 U-Matic Wild Bill Electronics Repair 0 June 12th 04 01:41 AM
Worcester 240 - Domestic hot water Richard UK diy 3 December 23rd 03 10:49 AM
Upgrade to a three phase domestic supply? Pandora UK diy 32 October 5th 03 02:33 AM
Domestic Combined Heat and Power Steve UK diy 7 September 10th 03 10:13 PM