Junior Member

Default Spray Or Roller?

Have just bought a new house which needs painting top to bottom. Our furniture goes in tomorrow, should I be thinking of painting it with a professional spray gun system or knuckle down and use a roller?
Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

kittykitty wrote:
Have just bought a new house which needs painting top to bottom. Our
furniture goes in tomorrow, should I be thinking of painting it with a
professional spray gun system or knuckle down and use a roller?

Hmmmm...

I've always wondered why more people don't use spray guns but then I think
about all the masking, which would have to be done painstakingly well unless
you fancy spending even more time cleaning off overspray, and the cleaning
of the thing itself when a colour change is required. Nah, buy a bunch of
rollers and trays.

Si

Michael Mcneil

"Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot" wrote in message

kittykitty wrote:

should I be thinking of painting it with a professional spray
gun system or knuckle down and use a roller?

I've always wondered why more people don't use spray guns but then I think
about all the masking, which would have to be done painstakingly well unless
you fancy spending even more time cleaning off overspray, and the cleaning
of the thing itself when a colour change is required. Nah, buy a bunch of
rollers and trays.

If you are inexperienced with the spray-gun system you will be on a very
steep curve. What lets them down worst is clogged guns.

A few hours with a roller will do a room top to bottom. Keep it fully
loaded and set yourself targets and small rewards. Do all the cutting in
around the ceiling and the skirting boards say, in 2 or 3 hours and have
a cup of tea and a butty.

If you are not that quick, break that down to something more manageable.
You will soon get into the swing of it. It's like everything else with a
trick to it. Once you get the hang of it and get stuck in, the time you
take will vanish in a flash.

The trick is to keep a surge of paint rolling up in front of the roller.
When that is gone, reload.

Then do the ceiling and a wall or two in a couple of hours and have
another cuppa. Then finish that room. You only have the windows and door
to do. Either start another room or do the woodwork to finish the day
then out for a pint.

If you and your wife are doing it together, take more time to get a
system going and you will knock a lot more off the next day.