Alan Smithee

Default Problem: Moen Faucet Switching from Stream to Spray

I have a one-year old Moen Extensa faucet in my kitchen, which, when new,
would always start in "stream" mode when the water was turned on. If you
wanted it to go into "spray" mode you had to switch it to spray while the
water was running. It would always revert back to stream when the water
stopped. In the last couple of months it's gradually changed its behaviour
to that whatever mode (stream or spray) was last used is the mode which it
now starts in. Was it broken to begin with or is it broken now is my
question??!! Is this common. Has anyone got a solution? Maybe there's
something that needs cleaning. I don't have a hard water problem so I don't
think it's calcium buildup, but even if it were I'm now sure how I'd get
into the "head" of the thing. Thx.

Matt

Dunno if this helps, but I've got a faucet in my kitchen that was
exhibiting similar behavior. The problem turned out to be a bad design,
where hot water caused damage to a vinyl part in the sprayhead.

A call to the mfr revealed that they had discontinued production of
that model sprayhead(wonder why), but they offered a free replacement
to the new model.

I'd send off an email to Moen, or give them a call. If you are unhappy
with the way your sprayhead is functioning - I'd bet a new one will be
in the mail shortly.

Speedy Jim

Alan Smithee wrote:

I have a one-year old Moen Extensa faucet in my kitchen, which, when new,
would always start in "stream" mode when the water was turned on. If you
wanted it to go into "spray" mode you had to switch it to spray while the
water was running. It would always revert back to stream when the water
stopped. In the last couple of months it's gradually changed its behaviour
to that whatever mode (stream or spray) was last used is the mode which it
now starts in. Was it broken to begin with or is it broken now is my
question??!! Is this common. Has anyone got a solution? Maybe there's
something that needs cleaning. I don't have a hard water problem so I don't
think it's calcium buildup, but even if it were I'm now sure how I'd get
into the "head" of the thing. Thx.

Call Moen. They are very good at customer support.
Jim
Percival P. Cassidy

Ours (also a Moen) did this for a while, then seemed to right itself again.

Perce

On 05/04/05 11:02 pm Alan Smithee tossed the following ingredients into
the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

I have a one-year old Moen Extensa faucet in my kitchen, which, when new,
would always start in "stream" mode when the water was turned on. If you
wanted it to go into "spray" mode you had to switch it to spray while the
water was running. It would always revert back to stream when the water
stopped. In the last couple of months it's gradually changed its behaviour
to that whatever mode (stream or spray) was last used is the mode which it
now starts in. Was it broken to begin with or is it broken now is my
question??!! Is this common. Has anyone got a solution? Maybe there's
something that needs cleaning. I don't have a hard water problem so I don't
think it's calcium buildup, but even if it were I'm now sure how I'd get
into the "head" of the thing. Thx.

Alan Smithee

Speedy Jim wrote:
Alan Smithee wrote:

I have a one-year old Moen Extensa faucet in my kitchen, which, when
new, would always start in "stream" mode when the water was turned
on. If you wanted it to go into "spray" mode you had to switch it to
spray while the water was running. It would always revert back to
stream when the water stopped. In the last couple of months it's
gradually changed its behaviour to that whatever mode (stream or
spray) was last used is the mode which it now starts in. Was it
broken to begin with or is it broken now is my question??!! Is this
common. Has anyone got a solution? Maybe there's something that
needs cleaning. I don't have a hard water problem so I don't think
it's calcium buildup, but even if it were I'm now sure how I'd get
into the "head" of the thing. Thx.

Call Moen. They are very good at customer support.
Jim

Called Moen Canada and they're sending me a new head. Fantastic.

Matt

You called to report your problem, and they are sending you a new head?

That seems a bit of an extreme solution; if it were me I'd probably of
said - no thanks... I guess the problem isn't really that serious after
all.

And I didn't even know it was medically possible. Who says Canada's
healthcare system is backward?

Alan Smithee

Matt wrote:
You called to report your problem, and they are sending you a new
head?

That seems a bit of an extreme solution; if it were me I'd probably of
said - no thanks... I guess the problem isn't really that serious
after all.

And I didn't even know it was medically possible. Who says Canada's
healthcare system is backward?

Oh Matt you are too witty ah ha ha ha. A regular Oscar Wilde. I meant of
course a new faucet head. BTW I once did a comparison with a comtemporary of
mine about the premiums on his American "health plan" compared to what had
to pay in extra income tax. We came in about a $1000 in his favour. Of
course his plan didn't cover somethings which mine did and vice versa. He
also noted that plans varied wildy between employers. Also, if I need
something major done which isn't available here I can go to Rochester to the
Mayo clinic and Canada Health will foot nearly all the bill under most
circumstances.

Matt

Oh Alan,

Lighten up. Jeezy Weezy I swear you all act like AHR is somehow
relevant to the world.

I have no doubt your healthcare system is just fine.

Alan Smithee

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Oh Alan,

Lighten up. Jeezy Weezy I swear you all act like AHR is somehow
relevant to the world.

I have no doubt your healthcare system is just fine.

AHR? (American Historical Review) and up here say Jeeze Louise, eh ;^)

Matt

AHR? (American Historical Review) and up here say Jeeze Louise, eh
;^)

(Alt.Home.Repair) and, take off you hoser!

I'll say Jeezy Weezy if I want to, eh?

I must go and get a beer and a jelly doughnut now.

Moen Faucet Repair Sundog Home Repair 2 November 4th 03 04:30 AM
Switching Power Supply Failure W. Curtiss Priest Electronics Repair 5 October 9th 03 10:43 PM
Switching Power Supply Failure W. Curtiss Priest Home Repair 0 October 6th 03 03:43 PM
SSI Switching Supply Problem - Need help... PLEASE !!!!!!!!!! BJohnson Electronics Repair 2 August 30th 03 09:08 AM