Chuck Chops-Celery

Default Replacement consumer unit and stuff

I'm currently fitting a kitchen in my 1960's house. Taking the
cupboards off the wall I discovered all of the electrics are spurred
off one socket! Needless to say I need to upgrade a bit. I also only
have an old four way fusebox.

I have been quoted =A3750 to replace the fuse box with a new consumer
unit, install five double sockets (ie a new ring main for the kitchen,
new cooker point, a new light switch (for the under cupboard lighting)
and the whole thing tested and certificated. I already have the new
consumer unit - split load without any breakers, which I bought off a
mate, so the cost of the actual unit can be taken off. Does this sound
reasonable? I have never used an electrician before.

TIA

Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
"Chuck Chops-Celery" writes:
I'm currently fitting a kitchen in my 1960's house. Taking the
cupboards off the wall I discovered all of the electrics are spurred
off one socket! Needless to say I need to upgrade a bit. I also only
have an old four way fusebox.
I have been quoted £750 to replace the fuse box with a new consumer
unit, install five double sockets (ie a new ring main for the kitchen,
new cooker point, a new light switch (for the under cupboard lighting)
and the whole thing tested and certificated. I already have the new
consumer unit - split load without any breakers, which I bought off a
mate, so the cost of the actual unit can be taken off. Does this sound
reasonable? I have never used an electrician before.

Sounds quite reasonable to me. Make sure you know if the wiring is
to be recessed into the walls, and to what extent the electrician
is making good the decorations afterwards. He may well not be
prepared to use the consumer unit you have sourced. I would also
specify the CU is to have some 2 to 4 spare ways unused to allow
for future expansion without replacing it again, which will cost
you almost nothing extra.

If you care about Part P, you might also want to check he is Part P
registered or if he is expecting you to do a building notice which
will cost something like £100 extra. In the latter case, you
should only pay him when the BCO signs off the work.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Paul

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article .com,
"Chuck Chops-Celery" writes:

[...]

sounds a bargin to me I amd getting prices £1000 plus for that sort of work.

Paul
Chuck Chops-Celery

Thanks chaps. I can confirm I'm in the wrong business. Conservative
estimate for parts =A3150, max two days work (maybe one)!!!!!

Chuck

Dave Plowman (News)

In article om,
Chuck Chops-Celery wrote:
Thanks chaps. I can confirm I'm in the wrong business. Conservative
estimate for parts £150, max two days work (maybe one)!!!!!

I'd say it's impossible to do the work you've described *properly* in two
working days.

--
*Real men don't waste their hormones growing hair

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.