raden

Default world wind

Forget google earth

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

Not for bandwidth pikies

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message

Forget google earth

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

What's the advantage? I can't see any.

Mary

Chip

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:52:55 +0100,it is alleged that "Mary Fisher"
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

"raden" wrote in message

Forget google earth

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

What's the advantage? I can't see any.

Mary

Prettier Logo?

In all seriousness, I find this kind of thing still frankly amazing,
even if the aerial photos _are_ fuzzy and out of date. The amount of
data must be staggering.

--
Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while.
Michael Mcneil

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

What's the advantage? I can't see any.

It's interface works with the NASA satellites. It is available on CD
with some computer magazines, as and when.

There is an help forum with it too, I seem to remember.

Mary Fisher

"Chip" wrote in message
n.net...

Forget google earth

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

What's the advantage? I can't see any.

Mary

Prettier Logo?

In all seriousness, I find this kind of thing still frankly amazing,
even if the aerial photos _are_ fuzzy and out of date. The amount of
data must be staggering.

Indeed.

But the best parts of Google Earth are better than anything I've seen in
Worldwind. Perhaps I'm not using it properly but the interface isn't as
easy.

Mary

Adrian C

Chip wrote:

In all seriousness, I find this kind of thing still frankly amazing,
even if the aerial photos _are_ fuzzy and out of date. The amount of
data must be staggering.

I come from the land of the eight bit micro (and at times want to retire
there too... another story) and find this amazing. Todays lot look at
the graphic visuals just the same as they watch TV/playstation and don't
understand the deeper significance of it all. I watched 'Toy Story' for
the computer animation interest - the kids for something other than the
Simpsons.

The wow factor is falling. Mankind needs more hype to maintain interest
and encorage further thinking.

Oh dear, this IS drivel. I need a drink ;o)

--
Adrian C

Mary Fisher

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Chip wrote:

In all seriousness, I find this kind of thing still frankly amazing,
even if the aerial photos _are_ fuzzy and out of date. The amount of
data must be staggering.

I come from the land of the eight bit micro (and at times want to retire
there too... another story) and find this amazing. Todays lot look at the
graphic visuals just the same as they watch TV/playstation and don't
understand the deeper significance of it all. I watched 'Toy Story' for
the computer animation interest - the kids for something other than the
Simpsons.

The wow factor is falling. Mankind needs more hype to maintain interest
and encorage further thinking.

Oh dear, this IS drivel. I need a drink ;o)

Here - have a bottle of Fraoch.

It might encourage Geoff to come out of hiding ...

Mary

--
Adrian C

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Chip wrote:

In all seriousness, I find this kind of thing still frankly amazing,
even if the aerial photos _are_ fuzzy and out of date. The amount of
data must be staggering.

I come from the land of the eight bit micro (and at times want to retire
there too... another story) and find this amazing. Todays lot look at the
graphic visuals just the same as they watch TV/playstation and don't
understand the deeper significance of it all. I watched 'Toy Story' for
the computer animation interest - the kids for something other than the
Simpsons.

The wow factor is falling. Mankind needs more hype to maintain interest
and encorage further thinking.

Oh dear, this IS drivel. I need a drink ;o)

Here - have a bottle of Fraoch.

It might encourage Geoff to come out of hiding ...

No chance, I've been stuck in a hotel in the wilds of Wiltshire with
nothing more than a load of friends and a bar to keep me company

.... and tomorrow, I'm off to the wilds of sur le continent, so I might
be a bit quiet for the next week.

But then again, possibly not

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Chip wrote:

[...]

I was in Wiltshire last weekend (Wednesday to Monday) but with
grandchildren. The cases of champagne and wine only just made it worthwhile
but when we got back we had a phone call to say that a ninth had been born
that morning :-(

... and tomorrow, I'm off to the wilds of sur le continent, so I might be
a bit quiet for the next week.

But then again, possibly not

In the meantime, tell me - us -about the advantages of World Wind.

Mary

--
geoff

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

Here - have a bottle of Fraoch.

It might encourage Geoff to come out of hiding ...

No chance, I've been stuck in a hotel in the wilds of Wiltshire with
nothing more than a load of friends and a bar to keep me company

I was in Wiltshire last weekend (Wednesday to Monday) but with
grandchildren. The cases of champagne and wine only just made it worthwhile
but when we got back we had a phone call to say that a ninth had been born
that morning :-(

... and tomorrow, I'm off to the wilds of sur le continent, so I might be
a bit quiet for the next week.

But then again, possibly not

In the meantime, tell me - us -about the advantages of World Wind.

Well, it uses real time satellite imaging from (IIRC) three different
satellites which it builds up into a database on your computer. I still
haven't got round to installing it yet, but was impressed by what I was
shown of it

--
geoff

Andy Hall

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 20:58:48 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

In the meantime, tell me - us -about the advantages of World Wind.

Well, it uses real time satellite imaging from (IIRC) three different
satellites which it builds up into a database on your computer. I still
haven't got round to installing it yet, but was impressed by what I was
shown of it

I've installed it - seems OK, but images do not appear to be anything
like as high res as the Google ones unless I've missed a setting or
something.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Adrian C

Andy Hall wrote:
Well, it uses real time satellite imaging from (IIRC) three different
satellites which it builds up into a database on your computer. I still
haven't got round to installing it yet, but was impressed by what I was
shown of it

I've installed it - seems OK, but images do not appear to be anything
like as high res as the Google ones unless I've missed a setting or
something.

My experience as well. London mapping is dire. User interface is not as
controllable as Google Earth and my PC graphics chipset shows some
interesting visual wobblies. Though expect this will change in time.

--
Adrian C

raden

In message , Adrian C
writes
Andy Hall wrote:
Well, it uses real time satellite imaging from (IIRC) three different
satellites which it builds up into a database on your computer. I
still haven't got round to installing it yet, but was impressed by
what I was shown of it

I've installed it - seems OK, but images do not appear to be
anything
like as high res as the Google ones unless I've missed a setting or
something.

My experience as well. London mapping is dire. User interface is not as
controllable as Google Earth and my PC graphics chipset shows some
interesting visual wobblies. Though expect this will change in time.

Well, from what I've seen of "outside of the US and London", google
world's not that hot

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message

In the meantime, tell me - us -about the advantages of World Wind.

Well, it uses real time satellite imaging from (IIRC) three different
satellites which it builds up into a database on your computer. I still
haven't got round to installing it yet, but was impressed by what I was
shown of it

Your instruction to forget Google Earth suggested that you knew something
about it.

I did install it on that recommendation and can't see any advantage. Real
time isn't significant and it certainly isn't as user-friendly for non NASA
geeks as Google Earth. It doesn't tell me - at least I can't find -
information which I'd like to know.

I was hoping you'd be able to help and guide me since you appeared to have
experience of it :-(

Mary

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Adrian C
writes
Andy Hall wrote:
Well, it uses real time satellite imaging from (IIRC) three different
satellites which it builds up into a database on your computer. I still
haven't got round to installing it yet, but was impressed by what I was
shown of it
I've installed it - seems OK, but images do not appear to be anything
like as high res as the Google ones unless I've missed a setting or
something.

My experience as well. London mapping is dire. User interface is not as
controllable as Google Earth and my PC graphics chipset shows some
interesting visual wobblies. Though expect this will change in time.

Well, from what I've seen of "outside of the US and London", google
world's not that hot

That's not true. It's patchy, yes, but when it's good it's very, very good.
Better, ime, than WW.

Mary

--
geoff

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message

In the meantime, tell me - us -about the advantages of World Wind.

Well, it uses real time satellite imaging from (IIRC) three different
satellites which it builds up into a database on your computer. I still
haven't got round to installing it yet, but was impressed by what I was
shown of it

Your instruction to forget Google Earth suggested that you knew something
about it.

I did install it on that recommendation and can't see any advantage. Real
time isn't significant and it certainly isn't as user-friendly for non NASA
geeks as Google Earth. It doesn't tell me - at least I can't find -
information which I'd like to know.

I was hoping you'd be able to help and guide me since you appeared to have
experience of it :-(

No, if you'd followed the thread from the start, I said a friend
demonstrated it to me and I hadn't got around to installing it myself

--
geoff
raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message

I was hoping you'd be able to help and guide me since you appeared to have
experience of it :-(

No, if you'd followed the thread from the start, I said a friend
demonstrated it to me and I hadn't got around to installing it myself

ORIGINAL POST:

Forget google earth

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

Not for bandwidth pikies

Ah, you didn't see the small print then (which I posted in another ng -
I thought you'd enjoy the challenge, obviously not)

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"raden" wrote in message

I was hoping you'd be able to help and guide me since you appeared to
have
experience of it :-(

No, if you'd followed the thread from the start, I said a friend
demonstrated it to me and I hadn't got around to installing it myself

ORIGINAL POST:

Forget google earth

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

Not for bandwidth pikies

Ah, you didn't see the small print then (which I posted in another ng -

How can I see something in another ng?

I thought you'd enjoy the challenge, obviously not)

What was the challenge? To read your mind??

In that sphere I'm illiterate, I don't know everything, unlike some round
here :-)

Mary

--
geoff

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"raden" wrote in message

I was hoping you'd be able to help and guide me since you appeared to
have
experience of it :-(

No, if you'd followed the thread from the start, I said a friend
demonstrated it to me and I hadn't got around to installing it myself

ORIGINAL POST:

Forget google earth

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

Not for bandwidth pikies

Ah, you didn't see the small print then (which I posted in another ng -

How can I see something in another ng?

You have to look

I thought you'd enjoy the challenge, obviously not)

What was the challenge? To read your mind??

yes

--
geoff
Weatherlawyer

Mary Fisher wrote:

"IMM's stupid brother" wrote in message

I thought you'd enjoy the challenge, obviously not)

What was the challenge? To read your mind??

I just paid a tenner for the Phillips street atlas to Cheshire and
found the page I needed had the exact junction I wanted run through by
the spiral spine thingummie.

What a swizz!

And to think I could have got any of a number of online versions
(INCLUDING ODNANCE SURVEY'S VERSION) printed with a =A330 printer set
up.

Damned Phillips arses!!!!!!!

John Cartmell

In article .com,
Weatherlawyer wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:

"IMM's stupid brother" wrote in message

I thought you'd enjoy the challenge, obviously not)

What was the challenge? To read your mind??

I just paid a tenner for the Phillips street atlas to Cheshire and
found the page I needed had the exact junction I wanted run through by
the spiral spine thingummie.

What a swizz!

And to think I could have got any of a number of online versions
(INCLUDING ODNANCE SURVEY'S VERSION) printed with a £30 printer set
up.

Damned Phillips arses!!!!!!!

Good bound maps have redundancy built in around all page boundaries ...

Mary Fisher

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:

"IMM's stupid brother" wrote in message

I thought you'd enjoy the challenge, obviously not)

What was the challenge? To read your mind??

I just paid a tenner for the Phillips street atlas to Cheshire and
found the page I needed had the exact junction I wanted run through by
the spiral spine thingummie.

They always put them there. Or under the large printed county sign.

They always put road signs at the other side of trucks.

Mary

Weatherlawyer

Mary Fisher wrote:

They always put road signs at the other side of trucks.

In paper road maps?

Maybe on such sites as these perhaps:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09...ens_democracy/

Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:

They always put road signs at the other side of trucks.

In paper road maps?

Maybe on such sites as these perhaps:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09...ens_democracy/

What's the problem?