Barb

Default Slow drain, bathroom washbasin

Hi, here's a question for you plumbers.

My bathroom washbasin has got very slow to drain (not the first time) - I've
tried all the gunk-type stuff you can buy, and also one of those plastic
water-plunger things. It looks incredibly clean now, but it still runs very
slowly.

Is there a flexible tool of some kind I can push down there to "poke" it. I
believe that the drain pipe runs horizontally along the length of the bath
to the main drain downwards, after the trap, if you see what I mean - and
I'm wondering if the flow of water isn't fast enough to wash it through,
which is why it keeps getting bunged up.

Thanks

Barb

raden

In message , Barb
writes
Hi, here's a question for you plumbers.

My bathroom washbasin has got very slow to drain (not the first time) - I've
tried all the gunk-type stuff you can buy, and also one of those plastic
water-plunger things. It looks incredibly clean now, but it still runs very
slowly.

Is there a flexible tool of some kind I can push down there to "poke" it. I
believe that the drain pipe runs horizontally along the length of the bath
to the main drain downwards, after the trap, if you see what I mean - and
I'm wondering if the flow of water isn't fast enough to wash it through,
which is why it keeps getting bunged up.

Why not empty out the trap?

--
geoff
Owain

Barb wrote:
My bathroom washbasin has got very slow to drain ...
Is there a flexible tool of some kind I can push down there to "poke" it.

B&Q have a selection of flexible 'snakes' for pushing down drains. Not
sure how you get it through the plughole grill, you might need to take
the U-bend under the basin off.

Owain

Pete C

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 18:28:29 +0100, "Barb" wrote:

Hi, here's a question for you plumbers.

My bathroom washbasin has got very slow to drain (not the first time) - I've
tried all the gunk-type stuff you can buy, and also one of those plastic
water-plunger things. It looks incredibly clean now, but it still runs very
slowly.

Is there a flexible tool of some kind I can push down there to "poke" it. I
believe that the drain pipe runs horizontally along the length of the bath
to the main drain downwards, after the trap, if you see what I mean - and
I'm wondering if the flow of water isn't fast enough to wash it through,
which is why it keeps getting bunged up.

Hi,

What works on my kitchen sink and shower is to get a 4 pint milk
container and fill it with water, fill the plughole with water, turn
the milk container upside down covering the top, put the neck of the
container in the plughole, then squeeze it fairly hard keeping the
neck of the container in place.

This creates a good pressure and flow of water you don't get from
normal emptying, though you have to be careful if the waste fittings
are push fit and any of them aren't restrained from popping out.

cheers,
Pete.

Thanks

Barb

Set Square

Barb wrote:

Hi, here's a question for you plumbers.

My bathroom washbasin has got very slow to drain (not the first time)
- I've tried all the gunk-type stuff you can buy, and also one of
those plastic water-plunger things. It looks incredibly clean now,
but it still runs very slowly.

Is there a flexible tool of some kind I can push down there to "poke"
it. I believe that the drain pipe runs horizontally along the length
of the bath to the main drain downwards, after the trap, if you see
what I mean - and I'm wondering if the flow of water isn't fast
enough to wash it through, which is why it keeps getting bunged up.

Thanks

Barb

You can't really beat dismantling all the parts of the waste pipe (trap,
elbows, straight bits of pipe, etc.) and cleaning them out properly.

Not a pleasant job - scraping out all the congealed soap, tootpaste, human
hair, etc. - but it will flow a hell of a lot better once you've done it.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

raden

In message , Owain
writes
Barb wrote:
My bathroom washbasin has got very slow to drain ...
Is there a flexible tool of some kind I can push down there to "poke"
it.

B&Q have a selection of flexible 'snakes' for pushing down drains. Not
sure how you get it through the plughole grill, you might need to take
the U-bend under the basin off.

Which is probably what's full of hair and other crap, which when cleaned
out will prolly solve the problem

--
geoff
Dave Liquorice

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 19:51:00 +0100, Owain wrote:

My bathroom washbasin has got very slow to drain ...

B&Q have a selection of flexible 'snakes' for pushing down drains.

Seems a bit over kill. I deal with ours with nothing more than a
plunger, J cloth and water. Focus have small plungers that fit better
to a plug hole right against the side of the basin. The J cloth is
folded tightly and jammed into the overflow to seal it. Put in the
plug, fill the basin with hot water, remove plug, let say 1/4 of the
water flow out then vigoursly apply the plunger, don't be alarmed at
the muck that comes back, keep plunging and letting water go through
until it clears. For really stubborn slowness I fille the basin with
hot water let it all go through then as the last 1/8th or so is
draining slowly pour neat bleach into the plughole. Leave for a few
hours then plunge as above.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail