Paul Andrews

Default corner bond

I'm trying to figure out the bonding for my garage brickwork
(straightforward stretcher bond).

The plans show a corner with the corner forming a pier. In the existing
garage it looks as though there's a half brick running up the corner of the
wall.

The only way I can figure how to do this and maintain the bond is to use
bricks with a quarter removed and three quarter bats. So far every attempt
to produce a L-shaped brick with a quarter missing has ended up in disaster!

Is there a trick I'm missing? this is the only way I can think to maintain
the bond - the appearance of the existing brickwork is immaculate. I just
hope they didn't cheat and run a course of half bricks up the corner. I'm
sure they didn't.

Paul

Paul Andrews

"Paul Andrews" wrote in message
news
I'm trying to figure out the bonding for my garage brickwork
(straightforward stretcher bond).

The plans show a corner with the corner forming a pier. In the existing
garage it looks as though there's a half brick running up the corner of

the
wall.

The only way I can figure how to do this and maintain the bond is to use
bricks with a quarter removed and three quarter bats. So far every attempt
to produce a L-shaped brick with a quarter missing has ended up in

disaster!

Is there a trick I'm missing? this is the only way I can think to maintain
the bond - the appearance of the existing brickwork is immaculate. I just
hope they didn't cheat and run a course of half bricks up the corner. I'm
sure they didn't.

Well, on closer inspection, scraping away some of the mortar, I can see that
that's exactly what they did - ran a line of quarter bricks up through the
corner to form the pier. I guess that'll do for me too then..

Paul

The Natural Philosopher

Paul Andrews wrote:

[...]

Use plenty of ties.

Scarp rubble tied together with mortar and ties seems stronger than
properly laid courses without :-)

Paul

Paul Andrews

Paul Andrews wrote:

"Paul Andrews" wrote in message
news
I'm trying to figure out the bonding for my garage brickwork
(straightforward stretcher bond).

The plans show a corner with the corner forming a pier. In the existing
garage it looks as though there's a half brick running up the corner of

the

wall.

snip

Well, on closer inspection, scraping away some of the mortar, I can see

that
that's exactly what they did - ran a line of quarter bricks up through

the
corner to form the pier. I guess that'll do for me too then..

Use plenty of ties.

Scarp rubble tied together with mortar and ties seems stronger than
properly laid courses without :-)

Good point. I'll add in a few ties as well...

Paul