TheScullster

Default Where do the old Kitchens Go?

Hi all

I have been trawling round B & Q, Homebase etc looking for a double base
unit and wall unit to fit in a walk in cupboard. We are nearing the end of
a refurb of a back room extension and I have partitioned one end off to make
a cupboard (workplace/bolthole) 1.7m x 1.2m.

The door is in the 1.7m wall and offset to give enough space at one end for
units.

My complaint is that there must be hundreds of serviceable kitchen carcases
(even if I buy new doors to keep it smart) just hurtling towards the tip. I
have heard of kitchens being pulled out after less than 3 years occupancy of
new 2-300k houses nearby - obviously not now when they are needed!

So, is there anywhere in East Yorks where kitchen contents are recycled?
I would rather get decent second hand stuff for say £50 than buy new cheap
tat for £75.
This is going to house light(ish) tools and DIY bits so needs to be fairly
rhobust.

Phil

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

TheScullster wrote:

My complaint is that there must be hundreds of serviceable kitchen
carcases (even if I buy new doors to keep it smart) just hurtling
towards the tip. I have heard of kitchens being pulled out after
less than 3 years occupancy of new 2-300k houses nearby - obviously
not now when they are needed!

A good question. If you look on Adtrader you'll see a few but I think most
end up in a skip, or are taken away by the kitchen fitters. You could phone
round a few upmarket fitters (either companies or individuals) in your area
to see what they do with them.

Si

Mary Fisher

"TheScullster" wrote in message

So, is there anywhere in East Yorks where kitchen contents are recycled?
I would rather get decent second hand stuff for say £50 than buy new cheap
tat for £75.
This is going to house light(ish) tools and DIY bits so needs to be fairly
rhobust.

Phil, mail me. I haven't what you want but might be able to help you.

Mary

Phil

Bob Mannix

"Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
TheScullster wrote:

My complaint is that there must be hundreds of serviceable kitchen
carcases (even if I buy new doors to keep it smart) just hurtling
towards the tip. I have heard of kitchens being pulled out after
less than 3 years occupancy of new 2-300k houses nearby - obviously
not now when they are needed!

A good question. If you look on Adtrader you'll see a few but I think most
end up in a skip, or are taken away by the kitchen fitters. You could
phone round a few upmarket fitters (either companies or individuals) in
your area to see what they do with them.

The trouble is they *are* pulled out (rather than being dismantled/unfixed)
and are all smashed up by the time they leave the premises (for one thing,
kitchen fitters don't want them on the market!).

Bob Mannix

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"TheScullster" writes:

My complaint is that there must be hundreds of serviceable kitchen carcases
(even if I buy new doors to keep it smart) just hurtling towards the tip. I
have heard of kitchens being pulled out after less than 3 years occupancy of
new 2-300k houses nearby - obviously not now when they are needed!

Kitchen carcases are cheap, and peoples' time expensive,
so no one is going to take the time and trouble to remove
them carefully enough to be reused.

Also, kitchens are designed to be installed exactly once.
I've seen two cases of kitchens having been taken out for
some other work (tanking, floor replacement) with the
intention to refit the kitchen afterwards, and that just
never works right. In both cases, the kitchens had to be
ripped out again and replaced with new. (Neither of these
were DIY -- it's possible that DIYer with less of an eye
on the clock would do a much better job here.)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 08:56:23 +0100, Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot
wrote:

A good question. If you look on Adtrader you'll see a few but I
think most end up in a skip, or are taken away by the kitchen
fitters.

Aye, very few people actually DIY the installation even if they buy
the bits from a shed, they'll also be using the design and fitting
service.

You could phone round a few upmarket fitters (either companies or
individuals) in your area to see what they do with them.

The skip or back of their van to a trade waste site. They may well be
charged by weight for their waste, so offering a few squid for a
couple of bases may well be accepted.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"TheScullster" writes:

[...]

Best to buy real furniture - expensive but much cheaper in the long
term, and you can take it with you if you move, re-arrange your kitchen
easily, exchange or modify individual items etc etc. Fitted kitchens a
big waste of money - and boring, look just like everybody elses.

cheesr

Jacob

Rusty

[...]

Old kitchens and bedroom furniture gets dumped mostly in laybys in my part
of the world.

rusty

Toby Sleigh

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

So, is there anywhere in East Yorks where kitchen contents are recycled?
I would rather get decent second hand stuff for say £50 than buy new cheap
tat for £75.
This is going to house light(ish) tools and DIY bits so needs to be fairly
rhobust.

Phil

Subscribe to your local FreeCycle group. http://freecycle.org/ and put in a
wanted request.
It's a great way of getting rid of stuff that you don't need any more but
seems a waste to skip.

Toby

Rob Morley

In article , "Toby Sleigh"
says...

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

So, is there anywhere in East Yorks where kitchen contents are recycled?
I would rather get decent second hand stuff for say £50 than buy new cheap
tat for £75.
This is going to house light(ish) tools and DIY bits so needs to be fairly
rhobust.

Phil

Subscribe to your local FreeCycle group.
http://freecycle.org/ and put in a
wanted request.
It's a great way of getting rid of stuff that you don't need any more but
seems a waste to skip.

The groups I read require that you offer something before posting a
request - there has been a flood of "give me a laptop/MP3
player/digital camera" type requests recently that does not endear
the posters to most readers.
Rick

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 08:52:30 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote:

[...]

They are mad so cheeply, they are a fit once item. In my expereince
they fall apart when removed.

Rick

What do you think of World of Kitchens or Moben? [email protected] UK diy 11 April 14th 05 04:15 PM
NEW KITCHEN - SUPPLY AND FITTING - County Kitchens Thelma Loveett UK diy 3 March 28th 05 10:04 PM
Ikea kitchens Sarah UK diy 5 June 21st 04 04:50 PM
B&Q Kitchens jaime UK diy 43 April 21st 04 03:15 PM
arena kitchens IMM UK diy 2 July 14th 03 07:45 PM