Doctor Drivel

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article , " me9
@privacy.net says...
On 29 Jul,
"ben" wrote:

A blade guard is paramount on cirular saws, and I would never buy one
without this.

I used mine /once/ when I was young and daft. Never again.

What does that mean?

It means he is typing with one arm.

ben

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article , " me9
@privacy.net says...
On 29 Jul,
"ben" wrote:

A blade guard is paramount on cirular saws, and I would never buy
one without this.

I used mine /once/ when I was young and daft. Never again.

What does that mean?

It means he is typing with one arm.

PMSL

nightjar

"AlexW" wrote in message
nightjar nightjar@ wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message

The sort of incident you might expect when using a chainsaw, but just to
remind you of what can go wrong with a circular saw:

http://www.thisisessex.co.uk/essex/s...ews/NEWS5.html

Anyone who gets killed by using a circular saw while standing on a ladder
is a prime candidate for a Darwin award.

Colin Bignell

Everyone does something daft occasionally, even intentionally.

Many people do daft things. Those who have the right mental attitude to
safety do not. One of the biggest challenges to anyone responsible for
industrial safety is instilling that attitude into people.

Most of us get away with it though.

That demonstrates that you don't have the right mental attitude to safety.

Spare a thought for him and his family eh...

If he has a family, that disqualifies him from the Darwin award.

Colin Bignell

nightjar

"John Rumm" wrote in message
nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

You don't need to move them while they are still powered though.

There is no detail in the two articles I have read that indicates if it
was spinning when the accident occurred. It may simply have been he was
carrying it down from the platform where it was being used, and the static
blade did enough damage its own.

Which brings us back to the question of whether it had a working blade
guard. Personally, I never climb ladders carrying heavy or bulky equipment.
At home I use a rope to raise or lower it. At work, I put it on a pallet and
use a fork lift truck or hand stacker to raise or lower it.

Colin Bignell

Stuart Noble

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

You don't need to move them while they are still powered though.

There is no detail in the two articles I have read that indicates if it
was spinning when the accident occurred. It may simply have been he was
carrying it down from the platform where it was being used, and the static
blade did enough damage its own.

Which brings us back to the question of whether it had a working blade
guard. Personally, I never climb ladders carrying heavy or bulky equipment.
At home I use a rope to raise or lower it. At work, I put it on a pallet and
use a fork lift truck or hand stacker to raise or lower it.

I think the moral is, stay **** scared of ladders, however often you go
up them. As for those guys who fit TV aerials......

John Rumm

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

If he has a family, that disqualifies him from the Darwin award.

IIUC his son was working with him at the time and got to watch the whole
thing.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

Which brings us back to the question of whether it had a working blade
guard. Personally, I never climb ladders carrying heavy or bulky equipment.

It is a fair point... if unlucky you could do yourself in with any heavy
object in a similar circumstance just by its bludgeoning power - never
mind it having a sharp edge as well.

At home I use a rope to raise or lower it. At work, I put it on a pallet and
use a fork lift truck or hand stacker to raise or lower it.

Could have done with one of those when carrying all sorts of heavy stuff
up the ladder while doing my loft!

(mind you, pulling an 8x4' sheet of 3/4" ply up on a rope is not that
easy either)

--
Cheers,

John.

raden

In message , John
Rumm writes
nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

Which brings us back to the question of whether it had a working
blade guard. Personally, I never climb ladders carrying heavy or
bulky equipment.

It is a fair point... if unlucky you could do yourself in with any
heavy object in a similar circumstance just by its bludgeoning power -
never mind it having a sharp edge as well.

At home I use a rope to raise or lower it. At work, I put it on a
pallet and use a fork lift truck or hand stacker to raise or lower it.

Could have done with one of those when carrying all sorts of heavy
stuff up the ladder while doing my loft!

(mind you, pulling an 8x4' sheet of 3/4" ply up on a rope is not that
easy either)

Try a 3.6 metre dish ...

--
geoff
John Rumm

raden wrote:

(mind you, pulling an 8x4' sheet of 3/4" ply up on a rope is not that
easy either)

Try a 3.6 metre dish ...

Where do you get your TV from - Mars? ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

raden

In message , John
Rumm writes
raden wrote:

(mind you, pulling an 8x4' sheet of 3/4" ply up on a rope is not
that easy either)

Try a 3.6 metre dish ...

Where do you get your TV from - Mars? ;-)

Attached to a couple of Indonesians hoiking it up the outside of a 50
metre tower in Denpasar wearing nothing more than flip flops and sarongs
(or polka dot dresses in dIMMs somewhat warped mind)

--
geoff

Charlie

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:59:27 GMT, raden wrote:

Can you juggle chain saws like Archaos used to ?

Nope. Cos it's stupid.

Seriously though, someone at Archaos used to do this - but apparently
he didn't take the usual route (replace the cutting chain with a
motorbike chain, use a clutch so the chain stops quickly if it touches
something) - he used a normal chainsaw.

And eventually cut his leg off.

The thing to remember about circus tricks is that no matter how
dangerous they look, the artists are usually *very* careful to reduce
the risk to themselves as much as possible.

Charlie

raden

In message , Charlie
writes
On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:59:27 GMT, raden wrote:

Can you juggle chain saws like Archaos used to ?

Nope. Cos it's stupid.

Seriously though, someone at Archaos used to do this - but apparently
he didn't take the usual route (replace the cutting chain with a
motorbike chain, use a clutch so the chain stops quickly if it touches
something) - he used a normal chainsaw.

And eventually cut his leg off.

The thing to remember about circus tricks is that no matter how
dangerous they look, the artists are usually *very* careful to reduce
the risk to themselves as much as possible.

The visual impact being, of course, all important

--
geoff
Mr Fizzion

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 14:40:06 +0000 (UTC), "Dark Angel"
wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message ...
The sort of incident you might expect when using a chainsaw, but just to
remind you of what can go wrong with a circular saw:
http://www.thisisessex.co.uk/essex/s...ews/NEWS5.html

When I clicked the link I got a story about an Indian plastic moulding
firm?????

I thonk the satory must have been relocated to
http://www.thisisessex.co.uk/essex/s...ws/NEWS16.html

The problem with the whole set of "thisissomegrimplace.co.uk" websites
is that they relocate all the URLs when the next story comes in.
Which, of course, is really stupid.

Mr F

Lenny Brown

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 10:50:51 GMT, "ben" wrote:

Rusty wrote:
"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in
message ...

"John Rumm" wrote in message
The sort of incident you might expect when using a chainsaw, but
just to remind you of what can go wrong with a circular saw:

http://www.thisisessex.co.uk/essex/s...ews/NEWS5.html

Anyone who gets killed by using a circular saw while standing on a
ladder is a prime candidate for a Darwin award.

It worrying that some circular saws can lock the switch on, so if you
have to drop it because of a graceful fall off the ladder, it doesn't
stop the motor itself.

rusty

A blade guard is paramount on cirular saws, and I would never buy one
without this.

All the replys Mention circular saws Whe I read it it read as Angle
Grinder

still Gruesome

Lenny
raden

In message , Lenny Brown
writes

--
geoff

OT - Blue & Red jim rozen Metalworking 238 August 4th 05 05:45 PM
Circular saws: Which type to buy? Worm-drive or side-winder? Ken Moiarty Home Repair 46 June 14th 05 02:03 AM
Battery circular saws PoP UK diy 23 February 19th 04 10:03 PM
circular saw into table saw? WhiteMoth Woodworking 12 August 14th 03 12:07 AM