Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Default video recorder - any hope for it?

dave wrote:
I have a Toshiba vcr/dvd combo just out of warrantee (of course) and
the video part is playing up.

Where did you buy it and how long out of warranty is it?

Si

ben

dave wrote:
I have a Toshiba vcr/dvd combo just out of warrantee (of course) and
the video part is playing up. It's a strange fault: the machine will
sometimes play tapes ok but mostly the picture fades into noise (over
about 10 seconds). Sometimes it fades back in again and the picture
is just fine. The manual does say to try a video head cleaner tape (I
know, I know) but that does seem to help for while in that it takes
longer before the fade-out occurs. I don't think the video heads are
duff as the picture can be clean for several minutes at a time. It
sort of looks like the signal is being slowly tuned out! I tried
manual tracking and that will bring the picture back - but then, out
it goes again. This is with tapes that the machine itself records -
and I've tried a couple oif different brands.

The wiring setup is, ntl cable feed from STB to video recorder +
scart cable from recorder to TV.

Any suggestion if there's anything I can do myself to
fix/adjust/check this - or it it back to the shop for 3 months :-)?

Thanks

Them video head cleaners are ok if the tape dropout is light, but when it
comes to Bad tapes(the sort you rent at the local film shop), it then
becomes a case of clinging to the head.
The only solution is to open it up and clean the heads with 100% alchohol
swabs or Methylated spirits. if you do attempt this then be carful where the
drum head is concerned as the heads are two/four small pieces of brass
finely sticking out of the drum and are easily broken.

dave wrote:
[...]

Its unlikely to be muck on the heads. If you knew enough to fix it,
you'd not need to ask. Ie back to the shop.

NT

I would take it back to the shop you bought it from, they should
replace it or refund you some money depending on the time you have had
it for. To me it doesn't sound like it is fit for the purpose it was
sold for, seeing as it's just out of warranty. If they start playing up
threaten 'em with the trading standards. I think the shop has a
responsibility for the product purchased for 5 years after purchase
which kinda makes a mockery of extended warranties. I forget all the
ins and outs but I was told this pretty recently about my home cinema
system when that went nipples north,. I'd check it out with them though
just in case...........

Richard

Rob Morley

In article , "dave" dave@
127.0.0.1 says...
I have a Toshiba vcr/dvd combo just out of warrantee (of course) and the video
part is playing up. It's a strange fault: the machine will sometimes play tapes
ok but mostly the picture fades into noise (over about 10 seconds). Sometimes it
fades back in again and the picture is just fine. The manual does say to try a
video head cleaner tape (I know, I know) but that does seem to help for while in
that it takes longer before the fade-out occurs. I don't think the video heads
are duff as the picture can be clean for several minutes at a time. It sort of
looks like the signal is being slowly tuned out! I tried manual tracking and
that will bring the picture back - but then, out it goes again. This is with
tapes that the machine itself records - and I've tried a couple oif different
brands.

I wonder if a belt is slipping somewhere.
John Rumm

ben wrote:

Hmmm!

Purchase a Home entertainment item out of a reputable shop and they give you
60 days warranty after this the 12 months warranty is still in force after
its run out the item will have to be returned to manufacture for recompense.

Not sure I follow that...

When you buy something at retail your contract is with the retailer.
Your statutory rights give you the expectation of "reasonable" service
from it. If it fails to give that service then it is the retailer that
is required to address the situation. The manufacturer was not a part of
the contract of the sale and can not be obligated to deal with it.

What is "reasonable" will depend on the item in the first place. A 30
quid budget VCR that dies after 14 months has probably given a
reasonable service in the circumstances. A 500 quid top end hard drive
recorder that fails after 18 months however probably has not.

A manufacturer may offer a free replace/repair service to the end user -
but that is something they do as a way of making their product more
attractive to the *retailer*

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Hall

On 22 Jul 2005 10:00:46 -0700, wrote:

I would take it back to the shop you bought it from, they should
replace it or refund you some money depending on the time you have had
it for. To me it doesn't sound like it is fit for the purpose it was
sold for, seeing as it's just out of warranty. If they start playing up
threaten 'em with the trading standards. I think the shop has a
responsibility for the product purchased for 5 years after purchase
which kinda makes a mockery of extended warranties. I forget all the
ins and outs but I was told this pretty recently about my home cinema
system when that went nipples north,. I'd check it out with them though
just in case...........

Richard

Not exactly.

There is a statute of limitations of 6 years on the seller's statutory
liability in terms of sale of goods legislation to consumers.

However, this does not mean that the retailer is compelled to
repair/replace for free for this time period.

In the event of a dispute - reasonableness would apply. If the
purchaser had bought a £15 unknown VCR and it failed after 5 years,
then probably a claim under the Small Claims track through the court
would not have a high chance of success. On the other hand, if as in
this case it's a quality branded product failing just outside
warranty, then there would be a good chance that the retailer would
have to do something.

The warranty is simply there for the retailer's convenience and is
basically a way that the manufacturer back-to-backs the retailer's
responsibility with resources of his own in terms of repair or
replacement.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

If the picture is fading in and out at regular intervals its probably
the audio control head that needs cleaning.Its the small head between
the video heads and the pinch roller.This head picks up the audio and
also control pulses for tracking.

Paul

raden

In message , ben
writes
wrote:
[...]

No - the contract is between you and the retailer you sold it from

You (not you IYSWIM) did not buy it from the manufacturer, you bought
it from the retailer

They have to honour the contract

--
geoff