ben

dave wrote:
I have a Toshiba vcr/dvd combo just out of warrantee (of course) and
the video part is playing up. It's a strange fault: the machine will
sometimes play tapes ok but mostly the picture fades into noise (over
about 10 seconds). Sometimes it fades back in again and the picture
is just fine. The manual does say to try a video head cleaner tape (I
know, I know) but that does seem to help for while in that it takes
longer before the fade-out occurs. I don't think the video heads are
duff as the picture can be clean for several minutes at a time. It
sort of looks like the signal is being slowly tuned out! I tried
manual tracking and that will bring the picture back - but then, out
it goes again. This is with tapes that the machine itself records -
and I've tried a couple oif different brands.

The wiring setup is, ntl cable feed from STB to video recorder +
scart cable from recorder to TV.

Any suggestion if there's anything I can do myself to
fix/adjust/check this - or it it back to the shop for 3 months :-)?

Thanks

Them video head cleaners are ok if the tape dropout is light, but when it
comes to Bad tapes(the sort you rent at the local film shop), it then
becomes a case of clinging to the head.
The only solution is to open it up and clean the heads with 100% alchohol
swabs or Methylated spirits. if you do attempt this then be carful where the
drum head is concerned as the heads are two/four small pieces of brass
finely sticking out of the drum and are easily broken.