Chris Bacon

Default Aldi stuff.

If the 18V drill offered on http://uk.aldi.com/index.html is the same
one as they had going last year (which didn't have the "swivel" bit,
dunno what that's really useful for in general), it's a good and
useful piece of kit, especially at £20. Mine's done very well. Two
batteries & 1 hr. charger are helpful. 3 yr. guarantee, if it blows
up, get your £20 back (else it's cost £6.66 2/3p per year to own).
Ian Stirling

Chris Bacon wrote:
If the 18V drill offered on http://uk.aldi.com/index.html is the same
one as they had going last year (which didn't have the "swivel" bit,
dunno what that's really useful for in general), it's a good and
useful piece of kit, especially at ?20. Mine's done very well. Two
batteries & 1 hr. charger are helpful. 3 yr. guarantee, if it blows
up, get your ?20 back (else it's cost ?6.66 2/3p per year to own).

Is the charger a simple 1 hr timer?
Or does it turn off before the cells get baking hot if you put a nearly
charged pack in?
Chris Bacon

Ian Stirling wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:

If the 18V drill offered on http://uk.aldi.com/index.html is the same
one as they had going last year (which didn't have the "swivel" bit,
dunno what that's really useful for in general), it's a good and
useful piece of kit, especially at ?20. Mine's done very well. Two
batteries & 1 hr. charger are helpful. 3 yr. guarantee, if it blows
up, get your ?20 back (else it's cost ?6.66 2/3p per year to own).

Is the charger a simple 1 hr timer?
Or does it turn off before the cells get baking hot if you put a nearly
charged pack in?

Don't know. FWIW there's a red light that comes on when you
put in a flat battery, which goes green when the battery is
charged up.
Ian Stirling

Chris Bacon wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:

If the 18V drill offered on http://uk.aldi.com/index.html is the same
one as they had going last year (which didn't have the "swivel" bit,
dunno what that's really useful for in general), it's a good and
useful piece of kit, especially at ?20. Mine's done very well. Two
batteries & 1 hr. charger are helpful. 3 yr. guarantee, if it blows
up, get your ?20 back (else it's cost ?6.66 2/3p per year to own).

Is the charger a simple 1 hr timer?
Or does it turn off before the cells get baking hot if you put a nearly
charged pack in?

Don't know. FWIW there's a red light that comes on when you
put in a flat battery, which goes green when the battery is
charged up.

Ok.
It's just that it's handy to be able to stick a partly used battery after
a job in the charger. And if a 'dumb' timed charger simply charges it for
1hr, it'll overcharge it, overheat it, and fairly significantly reduce
the life.
Chris Bacon

Ian Stirling wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:

[...]

That's what I do - I have not noticed the battery warming up, and
a partly used one does take less time before the green light comes
on, so I suppose it's not a "simple 1-hour timer" - which I don't
think I've seen one of before on a charger!

Ian Stirling

Chris Bacon wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately they are available.
It can't have anything to do with the fact that the makers also sell
batteries...
Anyway, if it takes less time for a partially charged battery, then
it sounds like a proper charger.
Paul Giverin

In message , Ian
Stirling writes

[Re 18v drill]

Ok.
It's just that it's handy to be able to stick a partly used battery after
a job in the charger. And if a 'dumb' timed charger simply charges it for
1hr, it'll overcharge it, overheat it, and fairly significantly reduce
the life.

I've just picked one up. It doesn't appear to be a timer type charger
because the instructions say that the charger will turn off when fully
charged and switch to trickle charge to keep it topped up.

--
Paul Giverin

Ian Stirling

Paul Giverin wrote:
In message , Ian
Stirling writes

[Re 18v drill]

Ok.
It's just that it's handy to be able to stick a partly used battery after
a job in the charger. And if a 'dumb' timed charger simply charges it for
1hr, it'll overcharge it, overheat it, and fairly significantly reduce
the life.

I've just picked one up. It doesn't appear to be a timer type charger
because the instructions say that the charger will turn off when fully
charged and switch to trickle charge to keep it topped up.

I think it terminates charge based on temperature.
Anyway, it seems to work.
Further - compared to my 9.99 focus electric drill, it's a bit nicer.
It has an electric brake on the motor, which is handy, and aids control.
It varies speed when you pull the trigger harder (and torque too).

In low speed mode, it goes down to about 30RPM, in 6 steps.
It feels fairly solid, at least initially.
The rotating battery is nice - this moves the balance point back to
the middle of the handle, so it's less tiring to hold.
Pete C

On 21 Jul 2005 22:25:10 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

Chris Bacon wrote:
If the 18V drill offered on http://uk.aldi.com/index.html is the same
one as they had going last year (which didn't have the "swivel" bit,
dunno what that's really useful for in general), it's a good and
useful piece of kit, especially at ?20. Mine's done very well. Two
batteries & 1 hr. charger are helpful. 3 yr. guarantee, if it blows
up, get your ?20 back (else it's cost ?6.66 2/3p per year to own).

Is the charger a simple 1 hr timer?
Or does it turn off before the cells get baking hot if you put a nearly
charged pack in?

Hi,

Not too much of an issue with 2 batts, just use them in rotation and
recharge when they start running down.

cheers,
Pete.