Junior Member

Default bricking up windows

Hi all,
i'm new to diy and just bought a place for myself.

I have a small window about 1metre sq that i'd like to brick up, can i use things like aerated blocks or does it have to be brick?
thanks in advance.
Stuart Noble

leakd3 wrote:
Hi all,
i'm new to diy and just bought a place for myself.

I have a small window about 1metre sq that i'd like to brick up, can i
use things like aerated blocks or does it have to be brick?
thanks in advance.

Breeze blocks are fine. The larger of the 2 sizes is easier if it suits
the depth of your opening. They need to end up 1/2" below the surface
inside and out to leave room for render and plaster.
Rick

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 18:52:22 +0100, leakd3
wrote:

Hi all,
i'm new to diy and just bought a place for myself.

I have a small window about 1metre sq that i'd like to brick up, can i
use things like aerated blocks or does it have to be brick?
thanks in advance.

On the inside, then blocks are fine, cause you won't see it. On the
outside much more care is needed to match the brickwork into the
existing, else it looks a mess.

Rick