Default 8 inch Shower Head dribbling!

Hi,
this is the second time this strange phenomenom has occurred. I do hope
one of you can tell me why.

I have an 8 inch flat victorian head shower directly above the person.
It's repo one as part of a full kit, thermostac valve, ye olde handle
type thing.

It has enough pressure for water to come out of all the little
holes...usually.

But....after removal for cleaning (embarassingly only twice!)the water
is still coming from each little hole but not with enough pressure to
fall onto my head. In fact they are all joining up so as only about 5
streams of water fall onto me.

Any ideas? It's almost as if the pressure has just dropped fractionally
stopping a decent spray. But how can taking the head off cause it.

Last time it happened it took about 2 months before it restored to a
decent flow.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
cheers,
Richard

Sparks

It has enough pressure for water to come out of all the little
holes...usually.

But....after removal for cleaning (embarassingly only twice!)the water
is still coming from each little hole but not with enough pressure to
fall onto my head. In fact they are all joining up so as only about 5
streams of water fall onto me.

How is the water supplied to this, from the mains?

Maybe the holes were restricted with crud/scale, now after you have cleaned
it, the holes are now all slightly bigger, requiring more flow?

Sparks...

Sparks

How is the water supplied to this, from the mains?

Maybe the holes were restricted with crud/scale, now after you have
cleaned
it, the holes are now all slightly bigger, requiring more flow?

Sparks...

wrote in message
oups.com...
header tank.
Hmmmmm...so you reckon I should block some of the holes up?

It sounds like this is the problem, as you say it happened when it was
cleaned before.

You could try blocking up some of the holes.
Try blocking some holes (Spread out, to keep the balance of the spray).
If you can access the rear of the holes, then it is probably easier to block
them from this side!

Sparks...

Biggles

[...]

Sounds like there is not enough pressure/flow for the head that you have
- i.e after cleaning the holes are too big. You need to ask yourself if
it was OK when new - i.e. was the shower OK when first fitted?

If the answer is yes, then you need to figure out why the pressure/flow
has been reduced - either the pressure to the shower valve is reduced or
the valve itself is misbehaving or clogged up.

If the answer no, then you know why cleaning brings the problem back.
You may be able to replaced the shower head with one with smaller
diameter holes.

If the answer is don't know, then it's possible that the shower is not
suitable for the current supply and you need to consider increasing the
pressure/flow or perhaps replacing the head.

If you do replace the head with one with smaller holes, you'll have to
clean it more often :-)

[...]

sounds like theres little or no pressure drop across the holes in the
head. As it rescales this will fix itself, but that wont happen
quickly. One way to fix it is to spray paint the bit of the head with
the holes in, from the back, which will reduce the hole diameters and
restore water spraying.

Another option is just to put waterproof tape over some of the holes,
again on the back.

Next time, dont descale it, until it is having problems with excess
scale, and then only partially descale it. Your flow rate is too low
for the head design, and its the scale thats making it work right. It
takes a whole lotta water to run an 8" head.

NT

Sparks

wrote in message
oups.com...
header tank.
Hmmmmm...so you reckon I should block some of the holes up?

It sounds like this is the problem, as you say it happened when it was
cleaned before.

You could try blocking up some of the holes.
Try blocking some holes (Spread out, to keep the balance of the spray).
If you can access the rear of the holes, then it is probably easier to
block them from this side!

A better option of course, would to add a shower pump to boost the pressure,
but this is a lot more involved than simply blocking some holes up (and will
use more water)

Sparks...