Bob Eager

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 20:42:51 UTC, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 17:55:05 GMT, Chris Hodges wrote:

At least they let you buy 'em I've been refused2 or maybe 3 packets
of paracetamol in the past.

You can't buy more than 2 packs anywhere. Most pharmacies have
larger (24/32) blister packs if you ask.

ANd how many of those can you buy at a time, one I guess. Whats the
fipping point? If I want to top meself, I just go from one shop to the
next buying packs in each... Yet another restriction that serves no
real purpose.

Actually, it probably does. It increases profits.

Now all we have to do is find out which top man in a pharmaceutical
company gave a big donation to New Labour a few years ago...

John Rumm

Mary Fisher wrote:

You can use citric as an acidity adjuster in the wine itself (which is
what you describe),

Why are you repeating it then?

I was highlighting that what you said was correct, but unrelated to what
I was writing about...

however it also works in solution with Sodium Metabisufate as a sterilsing
solution.

It's not necessary.

The sodium metabisulfate solution evolves a gas (sulphur dioxide) which
sterilises on contact. The addition of citric acid helps speed up the
reaction IIUC.

There's no point. Wine-making,as in breadmaking and lots of other processes
(if you want to make a good product) can't be hurried.

You are just arguing for the sake of it aren't you? ;-)

There is every point, since poor sterilisation will lower the quality of
the wine, not improve it. The Citric results in more copious production
of SO2 and hence allows better sterilisation of your receptacles and
other equipment.

--
Cheers,

John.

Mary Fisher

"John Rumm" wrote in message

You are just arguing for the sake of it aren't you? ;-)

No.

You're making unfounded assumptions aren't you?.

There is every point, since poor sterilisation will lower the quality of
the wine, not improve it. The Citric results in more copious production of
SO2 and hence allows better sterilisation of your receptacles and other
equipment.

Sterilisation is sterilisation, there are no degrees of sterilisation.
Equipment is either sterile or not.

Mary

Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message om, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 17:55:05 GMT, Chris Hodges wrote:

At least they let you buy 'em I've been refused2 or maybe 3 packets
of paracetamol in the past.

You can't buy more than 2 packs anywhere. Most pharmacies have
larger (24/32) blister packs if you ask.

ANd how many of those can you buy at a time, one I guess. Whats the
fipping point? If I want to top meself, I just go from one shop to the
next buying packs in each... Yet another restriction that serves no
real purpose.

Which reminds me, whatever happened to that other great NuLabia idea -
the M4 bus lane ?

Maxie, a great idea, I'm glad you approved. It kept the traffic in a jam to
put them off driving into London. Loved it!

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
Sterilisation is sterilisation, there are no degrees of sterilisation.
Equipment is either sterile or not.

Think that's rather a broad statement in practice. Some viruses etc are
able to withstand even an Autoclave - things like BSE.

I very much doubt home brewing equipment is sterile in the medical sense.

--
*They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:21:13 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Equipment is either sterile or not.

Think that's rather a broad statement in practice.

No, it's correct. Either something is sterile or it isn't by
definition.

Some viruses etc are able to withstand even an Autoclave - things
like BSE.

BSE isn't a virus it's a prion.

I very much doubt home brewing equipment is sterile in the medical
sense.

AFAIK there is no word that means "nearly sterile" or "sterile for the
purpose".

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Plowman (News)

In article om,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Equipment is either sterile or not.

Think that's rather a broad statement in practice.

No, it's correct. Either something is sterile or it isn't by
definition.

Some viruses etc are able to withstand even an Autoclave - things
like BSE.

BSE isn't a virus it's a prion.

That's why I added 'etc'. ;-)

I very much doubt home brewing equipment is sterile in the medical
sense.

AFAIK there is no word that means "nearly sterile" or "sterile for the
purpose".

Ok. Then it's not sterile.

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Badger

Bob Eager wrote:

You can't buy more than 2 packs anywhere. Most pharmacies have
larger (24/32) blister packs if you ask.

ANd how many of those can you buy at a time, one I guess. Whats the
fipping point? If I want to top meself, I just go from one shop to the
next buying packs in each... Yet another restriction that serves no
real purpose.

It stops the "help me" half hearted attempts without full intent, which
usually end in unintended death due to liver damage.

Actually, it probably does. It increases profits.

Now all we have to do is find out which top man in a pharmaceutical
company gave a big donation to New Labour a few years ago...

Now thats another story, the big pharma co's are putting pressure on
about vitamins to get them made into prescription only meds or at the
very least restrict sales and manufacturing to a select few....
Matt

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

BSE isn't a virus it's a prion.

Isn't that what Drivel's got?

;-)
Mary Fisher

"Matt" wrote in message
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

BSE isn't a virus it's a prion.

Isn't that what Drivel's got?

;-)

You can't be suggesting Mad Cow Disease?

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Badger" wrote in message
Bob Eager wrote:

You can't buy more than 2 packs anywhere. Most pharmacies have larger
(24/32) blister packs if you ask.

ANd how many of those can you buy at a time, one I guess. Whats the
fipping point? If I want to top meself, I just go from one shop to the
next buying packs in each... Yet another restriction that serves no real
purpose.

It stops the "help me" half hearted attempts without full intent, which
usually end in unintended death due to liver damage.

Actually, it probably does. It increases profits.

Now all we have to do is find out which top man in a pharmaceutical
company gave a big donation to New Labour a few years ago...

Now thats another story, the big pharma co's are putting pressure on about
vitamins to get them made into prescription only meds or at the very least
restrict sales and manufacturing to a select few....

They're going through Europe though, not directcly through Our Glorious
Leader.

Mary

Bob Eager

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:39:39 UTC, Badger
wrote:

Now all we have to do is find out which top man in a pharmaceutical
company gave a big donation to New Labour a few years ago...

Now thats another story, the big pharma co's are putting pressure on
about vitamins to get them made into prescription only meds or at the
very least restrict sales and manufacturing to a select few....

No, that happened last week. Done and dusted.
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:39:39 GMT, Badger wrote:

You can't buy more than 2 packs anywhere. Most pharmacies have
larger (24/32) blister packs if you ask.

ANd how many of those can you buy at a time, one I guess. Whats
the fipping point? If I want to top meself, I just go from one
shop to the next buying packs in each... Yet another restriction
that serves no real purpose.

It stops the "help me" half hearted attempts without full intent,
which usually end in unintended death due to liver damage.

So I ask again, What's the fipping point? If the amount you can still
buy on one purchase is still enough to kill you it's a restriction for
no real purpose.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

raden

In message , Matt
writes
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

BSE isn't a virus it's a prion.

Isn't that what Drivel's got?

He has a head full of them

--
geoff
Chris Hodges

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 17:55:05 GMT, Chris Hodges wrote:

At least they let you buy 'em I've been refused2 or maybe 3 packets
of paracetamol in the past.

You can't buy more than 2 packs anywhere. Most pharmacies have
larger (24/32) blister packs if you ask.

ANd how many of those can you buy at a time, one I guess. Whats the
fipping point? If I want to top meself, I just go from one shop to the
next buying packs in each... Yet another restriction that serves no
real purpose.

I think it's 2 (but possibly only in the form of 1 aspirin and 1
paracetamol), but I agree with you anyway.

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk

Matt

"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message
.. .
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

BSE isn't a virus it's a prion.

Isn't that what Drivel's got?

;-)

You can't be suggesting Mad Cow Disease?

My mistake it a Prius, its obvious he's had the other for quite a
while.

The Natural Philosopher

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:21:13 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Equipment is either sterile or not.

Think that's rather a broad statement in practice.

No, it's correct. Either something is sterile or it isn't by
definition.

Some viruses etc are able to withstand even an Autoclave - things
like BSE.

BSE isn't a virus it's a prion.

I very much doubt home brewing equipment is sterile in the medical
sense.

AFAIK there is no word that means "nearly sterile" or "sterile for the
purpose".

There should be.

Some bacteria can live in volcanic vents...undersea.

Sterile is an absolute word for a relative thing.

The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

BSE isn't a virus it's a prion.

Isn't that what Drivel's got?

;-)

You can't be suggesting Mad Cow Disease?

Mary

No, that's what YOU have got Mary ;-)

Drivel is suffering from delusions of competence.
Mary Fisher

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...

So I ask again, What's the fipping point? If the amount you can still
buy on one purchase is still enough to kill you it's a restriction for
no real purpose.

Calm down Dave, it's a government thing. You wouldn't expect real purpose,
knowing that, would you?

Mary

Pete C

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 21:43:31 GMT, Badger
wrote:

Hi all,

We had our windows (softwood) replaced about 12 years ago, with double
glazed PVCU framed ones.
Recently I had a security assessment by the local CRO (crime reduction
officer), he said they were "not robust", no further explanation, so any
ideas what he's talking about and how to improve them???

Hi,

Do they have internal or external beading? IIRC some of the early ones
had external beading which could be pried off, and the window pane
removed.

cheers,
Pete.

Chemicals charles adams Metalworking 1 April 28th 05 05:48 PM
Pool Chemicals: Cheap source for sodium hypochlorite and stabilizer? pelty Home Repair 3 September 14th 04 04:54 PM
Effect of high household voltage on TV? Jonathan Grobe Electronics Repair 3 June 15th 04 12:48 AM
Requirement for safety checks for household electricity & gas? York Muppet UK diy 3 December 24th 03 11:39 AM