richard

Default SWA over ground

I have 100m of SWA to lay through a mixture of lawn, garden, under
hedges and across field.

A lot will have to be laid underground, but I am looking for guidance
as to when if ever SWA can be laid over the ground, and if so what
sort of protection should be used?

Richard
BigWallop

"richard" richard+agent@maninfodotcodotuk wrote in message
I have 100m of SWA to lay through a mixture of lawn, garden, under
hedges and across field.

A lot will have to be laid underground, but I am looking for guidance
as to when if ever SWA can be laid over the ground, and if so what
sort of protection should be used?

Richard

Personally, if I had to run a length that distance I'd lay pipework first.
Placing a rope in the pipe as I went along so I can pull the cable through
when it's all done. Or even pull the cable itself as I went along might be
in the offing on this length.

You need to bury the cable to at least 800 mm depth, and you'll also need
warning tape placed above all the underground cabling at a depth of 600 mm
so no one in the future hits the cable with a pick or spade. Even though
you are using SWA.

Above ground sections should be placed in pipework that prevents a hand
working tool from easily penetrating the skins of the cable. Remembering
that picks and shovels are also classed as hand tools. So you might need
metal pipe in areas where lots of this type of work is or could be done now
and in the future.

Ian White

BigWallop wrote:
You need to bury the cable to at least 800 mm depth, and you'll also need
warning tape placed above all the underground cabling at a depth of 600 mm
so no one in the future hits the cable with a pick or spade. Even though
you are using SWA.

Above ground sections should be placed in pipework that prevents a hand
working tool from easily penetrating the skins of the cable. Remembering
that picks and shovels are also classed as hand tools. So you might need
metal pipe in areas where lots of this type of work is or could be done now
and in the future.

How about laying SWA just below the surface, in an open-topped duct
covered by flagstones forming a paved area or path? (No weight on the
cable, of course.)

--
Ian White
Chip

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:23:57 +0100,it is alleged that richard
richard+agent@maninfodotcodotuk spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

I have 100m of SWA to lay through a mixture of lawn, garden, under
hedges and across field.

A lot will have to be laid underground, but I am looking for guidance
as to when if ever SWA can be laid over the ground, and if so what
sort of protection should be used?

Richard

Just to add to what BigWallop said, if the 'field' is cultivated,
through that section the 800mm depth should be increased such that the
warning tape is 'below the level of cultivation' while remaining above
the cable by ~200mm. Ditto for flowerbeds/deep dug parts of the
garden.

--
"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something
about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is
Colin Wilson

You need to bury the cable to at least 800 mm depth, and you'll also need
warning tape placed above all the underground cabling at a depth of 600 mm
so no one in the future hits the cable with a pick or spade. Even though
you are using SWA.

450mm is a normal depth in footpath for an LV cable, but if the field is
likely to be churned at any point, it may well be a smart move to bury it
deeper...