Bob Minchin

Default Building a large shed

I want to construct a large shed at the bottom of my garden well away from
the house (and everyone elses house nearby).
It would appear that the spirit of the building regulations is that if built
within 1m of the boundary (which I need to do on two sides)., the
construction should reduce the spread of fire.

I would prefer that this shed could be taken down easily in the future and
so don't want the effort or cost of demolition of building in brick or
blocks.

If I were to construct this shed from 4x2 framing and plywood sheets as bot
together modules and then clad the sides on the boundaries with fibre cement
slates, would this be deemed sufficiently fire resistant?

Any other ideas please?

The regulations seems also to suggest that a building 15m2 does not have to
be fireproof but one between15m2 and 30m2 does (30m2 must meet BRs whereas
30m2 it is potentially exempt).

If I put up two 15m2 sheds with a minute gap between them would this be
deemed as taking the pi$$ or a legitimate action that would fit the bill?

tia

Bob

PC Paul

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
I want to construct a large shed at the bottom of my garden well away from
the house (and everyone elses house nearby).
It would appear that the spirit of the building regulations is that if
built
within 1m of the boundary (which I need to do on two sides)., the
construction should reduce the spread of fire.

What would be around this shed? wooden fences? neighbours outbuildings? wire
fence? woods?

Surely if the worst that would happen is your own shed burning up and it's
unlikely to spread from there you're ok anyway.

Peter Crosland

"I want to construct a large shed at the bottom of my garden well away from
the house (and everyone elses house nearby).
It would appear that the spirit of the building regulations is that if
built
within 1m of the boundary (which I need to do on two sides)., the
construction should reduce the spread of fire.

If I put up two 15m2 sheds with a minute gap between them would this be
deemed as taking the pi$$ or a legitimate action that would fit the bill?

No it woulkd not and you almost certainly also need planning permission.
Building regulations are there for a sound reason.

Peter Crosland

Owain

Bob Minchin wrote:
[fire regulations]
I would prefer that this shed could be taken down easily in the future and
so don't want the effort or cost of demolition of building in brick or
blocks.

Steel cladding. Or corrugated iron. Agricultural building suppliers.
Portal frame structure. Quonset hut.

Shipping containers. They're not buildings :-)

Owain

BIG NIGE

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
I want to construct a large shed at the bottom of my garden well away from
the house (and everyone elses house nearby).
It would appear that the spirit of the building regulations is that if

built
within 1m of the boundary (which I need to do on two sides)., the
construction should reduce the spread of fire.

Somebody across the street from me has recently built a lean-to type shed on
the side of his house.

This is joined to his house, within 1 metre of the Boundary & constructed of
wood (ship lap type on a frame)

When we were talking about this he said that the council said that to meet
the fire regulations all he had to do was paint it with a fire retardant
paint.

If this is so in your area you may have less problems than you think, (I
dont know if the size of the shed affects this requirement).

Bob Minchin

Peter Crosland wrote in message
"I want to construct a large shed at the bottom of my garden well away

from
the house (and everyone elses house nearby).
It would appear that the spirit of the building regulations is that if
built
within 1m of the boundary (which I need to do on two sides)., the
construction should reduce the spread of fire.

If I put up two 15m2 sheds with a minute gap between them would this be
deemed as taking the pi$$ or a legitimate action that would fit the bill?

No it woulkd not and you almost certainly also need planning permission.

No planning permission is needed as the structure would be covered by
permitted development rights (20m from the road, 5m from a dwelling, 4m
high with pitched roof and non habitable).

Building regulations are there for a sound reason.

I agree that in many many cases they are appropriate but when the location
is a long way from any other habitable building and planning restriction
would prevent anyone else from erecting a habitable building nearby, then
some BR are over the top.

Bob

Peter Crosland

Bob Minchin

PC Paul wrote in message ...
"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
I want to construct a large shed at the bottom of my garden well away from
the house (and everyone elses house nearby).
It would appear that the spirit of the building regulations is that if
built
within 1m of the boundary (which I need to do on two sides)., the
construction should reduce the spread of fire.

What would be around this shed? wooden fences? neighbours outbuildings?

wire
fence? woods?

Surely if the worst that would happen is your own shed burning up and it's
unlikely to spread from there you're ok anyway.

I agree totally but then looking at the BR, such a building has to meet
certain criteria in order to be exempt from regulation ( erm, If that makes
sense!! This is how the BR expresses it!)

Bob

Bob Minchin

Rob Morley wrote in message ...
In article , "Bob Minchin"
says...
[...]

How about cement rendering the whole lot?

Sadly no access to the building from other side of the boundaries. I don't
fancy trying to render pre-fab panels and then put them into place. I can
just see the render falling off as I nail on the roof trusses!

Regards

Bob

Bob Minchin

BIG NIGE wrote in message ...

[...]

Very interesting NIGE, maybe I'll have a chat with a BCO - trouble is they
need to keep themselves in work so a building having to comply is better for
them whereas I really need advice on how do do something that does not need
their attention ( and avoid having to pay them loads-a-dosh!)

Bob

You may have the option to go for a planning permission exemption
certificate. This frees you of the one metre rule as long as you
satisfy other criteria: roof note to exceed 4m for pitched roof and 3m
for any other roof. Building to be at least 5m from house. These are
the regs as far as hounslow planning go - yours may be different.
You have probably gone to see your local planner face to face - if not,
it may be worth a visit to determine what conditions are required to be
met to make you exempt from planning permission.

Bob Minchin wrote:
[...]

Adrian Brentnall

HI Bob

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 20:57:53 GMT, "Bob Minchin"
wrote:

BIG NIGE wrote in message ...

[...]

You might be pleasantly surprised.
Our local BCO, despite having an unhealthy interest in out drains,
save me a great deal of time & effort by suggesting that our large
workshop extension adjacent to our brick-built garage migh be more
appropriate it it was, in fact, a building in its own right - rather
than an extension.

Subtle distinction - end result was that the new design fell outside
of his jurisdiction / interest - and we saved a fortune in concrete
and days of unnecessary effort by following his 'unofficial'
suggestion.

Our architect wasn't clued up enough to make the suggestions
himself..... hmmmm !

Be straight with them & the BCO's can turn out to be surprisingly
human g - try to pull a fast one and you may regret it !

Good luck
Adrian
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply
John Anderton

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 15:54:09 GMT, "Bob Minchin"
wrote:

If I put up two 15m2 sheds with a minute gap between them would this be
deemed as taking the pi$$ or a legitimate action that would fit the bill?

It might be deemed as taking the pi$$, depending on whether your BCO
is reasonable or not. OTOH there's nothing they can do, as long as the
sheds are totally separate buildings then the 30m2 limit will be
applied separately to each shed.

Cheers,

John
John Anderton

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 17:32:50 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

"I want to construct a large shed at the bottom of my garden well away from
the house (and everyone elses house nearby).
It would appear that the spirit of the building regulations is that if
built
within 1m of the boundary (which I need to do on two sides)., the
construction should reduce the spread of fire.

If I put up two 15m2 sheds with a minute gap between them would this be
deemed as taking the pi$$ or a legitimate action that would fit the bill?

No it woulkd not and you almost certainly also need planning permission.

On what grounds ?

Building regulations are there for a sound reason.

ITYM
"Building regulations are sometimes there for a sound reason."

Cheers,

John
Bob Minchin

.com...

Bob Minchin wrote:
[...]

I'm interested in this planning permission exemption certificate. I believe
I am exempt under permitted development rights and therefore thought I could
just go ahead (from a planning point of view).
Is this certificate a mandatory requirement or just a nice to have
comforter to wave under the noses of other planning officers/noxious
neighbours?

I'm also intrigued by you statement regarding removal of the 1m limit with
such a certificate. I had understood that the 1m limit arises from building
regulations rather than planning.
Sounds like a visit to the council offices ( maybe in disguise?) could be
called for.

regards

Bob

Building a shed Jim85CJ Home Repair 5 July 4th 05 04:19 PM
Building a fence and large gate Darren Woodworking 9 June 30th 05 05:40 PM
House Building Secrets markmcc Home Ownership 2 March 12th 05 05:08 PM
Building an Extension (Preparation Stage) Andrew UK diy 7 December 29th 03 11:48 PM
On the subject of a garden shed Andrew McKay UK diy 3 August 27th 03 04:31 PM