Arthur

Default Skimming over wallpaper...

is this a vile sin?

I've just started stripping a room that has one layer of paper on it but its
a hell.
The paper is quite dirty (I lived alone for many years and didn't look at
it) and after
wetting it, a top layer comes off (agonisingly) leaving what looks like
backing paper but
is actually a sub layer of the wallpaper. The sublayer comes off easily
after a little soaking.

The room is probably going to need skimming anyway so I could cheat and
remove the ragged
parts of the papering and treat with pva then hire a plasterer to skim.

Is this method a common skive?

Thanks.

Arthur

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Arthur" writes:
is this a vile sin?

I've just started stripping a room that has one layer of paper on it but its
a hell.
The paper is quite dirty (I lived alone for many years and didn't look at
it) and after
wetting it, a top layer comes off (agonisingly) leaving what looks like
backing paper but
is actually a sub layer of the wallpaper. The sublayer comes off easily
after a little soaking.

The room is probably going to need skimming anyway so I could cheat and
remove the ragged
parts of the papering and treat with pva then hire a plasterer to skim.

Is this method a common skive?

It's not a good idea. When the paper has been supporting wet
plaster for an hour, you may find it all comes away from the
wall.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Brian G

Arthur wrote:
is this a vile sin?

I've just started stripping a room that has one layer of paper on it
but its a hell.
The paper is quite dirty (I lived alone for many years and didn't
look at it) and after
wetting it, a top layer comes off (agonisingly) leaving what looks
like backing paper but
is actually a sub layer of the wallpaper. The sublayer comes off
easily after a little soaking.

Try hiring (or buying) a wall paper steamer, this makes things a lot easier,
especially if you 'score' the wall paper in a diamond pattern before using
the steamer on it.

The room is probably going to need skimming anyway so I could cheat
and remove the ragged
parts of the papering and treat with pva then hire a plasterer to
skim.

Not a good idea, the weight of the plaster will be taken by the wallpaper
and this is liable to peel off after a short while - besides, any half-way
decent plasterer will refuse to do this job, or if you insist on it, he will
make you sign a disclaimer so when the plaster falls off, you can pay him to
do the job again the right way.

Is this method a common skive?

No, there are many shortcuts but this one is a definite no-no.

Brian G

Michael Mcneil

"Brian G" wrote in message

Arthur wrote:
is this a vile sin?

Yes.

Try hiring (or buying) a wall paper steamer, this makes things a lot easier,
especially if you 'score' the wall paper in a diamond pattern before using
the steamer on it.

Break and old saw in half or buy a short Stanley Jet Cut (That's all
they are good for) and use tha to score the paper. Set yourself a target
of so many square feet per tea-break or you will soon become
discouraged.

Wet the paper with wallpaper paste then squirt it with a pop bottle full
of water. (Drill a small hole in the top.)

By the time you have cut the new rolls to size, the old paper will be
ready to peel off.

Q. With a large pattern you might get something like a foot or so waste
if you cut the next length from the roll to match. Would you be better
off matching alternate strips?

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 23:07:48 +0000 (UTC), "Arthur"
wrote:

is this a vile sin?

Yes.

Get a perforator roller, a cheap steamer (my Earlexs are favoured
"twenty quid well spent" tools with many uses) and some good thick
Marigolds to keep the steam off your hands.

Then you'll find that wallpaper stripping is now a doddle.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Brian G" writes:
Arthur wrote:
is this a vile sin?

I've just started stripping a room that has one layer of paper on it
but its a hell.
The paper is quite dirty (I lived alone for many years and didn't
look at it) and after
wetting it, a top layer comes off (agonisingly) leaving what looks
like backing paper but
is actually a sub layer of the wallpaper. The sublayer comes off
easily after a little soaking.

Try hiring (or buying) a wall paper steamer, this makes things a lot easier,
especially if you 'score' the wall paper in a diamond pattern before using
the steamer on it.

I suggest only scoring the paper if you really have to (i.e. it's
waterproof, or has become so due to lots of overpainting).
In your case where the paper comes off easily with wetting anyway,
you will find it much easier without scoring, and with a steam
stripper, you will probably pull the sheets off easily in one piece,
providing you didn't score it.

--
Andrew Gabriel