Mary Fisher

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

I recall outside loos as being a wooden seat over a hole in the ground, at
the bottom of the garden, with a bucket of earth from which you some
sprinkled in after you were done. If you had toilet paper, rather than
torn up newspaper, it would be a box of Izal sheets.

Well, there were an awful lot of outside water closets. The ones at my
primary school were and it was am early Victorian building.

But I think that earth closets are better.

Mary

Colin Bignell

Derek ^

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 10:25:48 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote in message

Ooh ta! I will let the group have the pics when its done...its gonna be
built out of reclaimed bricks with Staffordshire blues for the sloping
back roof. it will be part of a small out building im building that will
include a coal room and a wood store room. Three doors in a row, the
nearest one to the house being the lav!

It does sound good, I wish we had room for such a structure.

Our outside lav when I was a child had a full-width boxed in porcelain, er,
part*

If it was a large porcelain conical funnel, I'd doubt it ever had a
proper name. Typically the manufacturer FWIW would emblazon a name
such as "Achilles" in the glaze. My old auntie had an outside toilet
like that, she lived in Jubilee Terrace (Off Woodhouse Street) not
that far from you.

I suspect they were made/sold to convert the original night-soil
closets (netties) which were emptied in the middle of the night by a
couple of blokes with an 'orse and cart, to online WC operation.

BTW, when Queen Victoria came to Morley, the council had installed for
her *two* pristine new bogs alongside each other. They are still there
in the registrar's office. The reason for two was so that no-one would
ever be able to say with certainty the Queen Vic. had *used* this
particular bog, and maybe sell it at a premium, or use it in an
indecorous way, or whatever.

Which does rather beg the question that did they have to provide two
pristine bogs for her everywhere she "went"? ( No pun intended ;-0 )

made from softwood which was scrubbed by my mother and always clean
and warm to sit on even in winter. What's more, it provided a resting place
at each side for whatever one was reading, the key, or anything.

When we were first married we had an outside lav which had a modern (well,
1950s) wc with a plastic seat. Believe me that cold be c-c--c-old to the
cheeks.

If you can, I'd recommend the bench, a rounded profile to the hold will
ensure comfort. A full length hinge at the back will allow it to be lifted
for cleaning.

Billy Connolly goes on about these in his early material.

I know that ours did have such a hinge but can't remember ever
seeing it lifted. I was never involved with the cleaning and never dared
lift it myself.

Mary
* the old brain trouble manifesting itself! The word will come the minute my
finger hits 'send'

Large conical porcelain receptacle. Not really a WC "pan" or "bowl" as
we know it.

DG
Zipadee Doodar

We're thinking of having an outside lav too but it would be a compost one

so
wouldn't have a cistern. Seriously, I'd be very interested to know how you
get on.

Mary

Usual way I imagine - turn your back to it, point your bum at it and then
sit down

ZD

r.p.mcmurphy

"S Viemeister" wrote in message

Bog /roll/ on a nail? That's posh. Our nail was used to hold torn up
Daily
Herald.

You had a nail??

You had a wall??

;-)

steve

r.p.mcmurphy wrote:
Wehey! We going retro and having a outside lav, like me Nan used to have!
Has anyone got any pictures of outside lavs hanging about in their lofts?
if so I'd really like to take a peek to give me some idea of how they used
to look!

Ta!

steve

Put the word "privies" into Amazon's search engine.

MBQ

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , raden
wrote:

Well, it's just a narrow room with a pedestal, high cistern, bog roll on
a nail, and a little paraffin heater to stop the pipes freezing in the
winter, innit

Squares of newspaper not good enough for you then? :-)

Mary Fisher

wrote:

[...]

No, it was my dysphasia playing up, sometimes the most ordinary words won't
come.

As far as I remember the bowl was conventional, it had a trap. I can't
remember a name but there might well have been one.

But how did you know where I lived? !

I suspect they were made/sold to convert the original night-soil
closets (netties) which were emptied in the middle of the night by a
couple of blokes with an 'orse and cart, to online WC operation.

There might have been one like that in ours originally but itmust have been
modernised. My mother had lived there since she was four, he always referred
to it as the midden but it definitely had a trap.

made from softwood which was scrubbed by my mother and always clean
and warm to sit on even in winter. What's more, it provided a resting
place
at each side for whatever one was reading, the key, or anything.

When we were first married we had an outside lav which had a modern (well,
1950s) wc with a plastic seat. Believe me that cold be c-c--c-old to the
cheeks.

If you can, I'd recommend the bench, a rounded profile to the hold will
ensure comfort. A full length hinge at the back will allow it to be lifted
for cleaning.

Billy Connolly goes on about these in his early material.

Ah well, you get my memories free ;-)

I know that ours did have such a hinge but can't remember ever
seeing it lifted. I was never involved with the cleaning and never dared
lift it myself.

Mary
* the old brain trouble manifesting itself! The word will come the minute
my
finger hits 'send'

Large conical porcelain receptacle. Not really a WC "pan" or "bowl" as
we know it.

No, it was just like the bowl we use here. Mind you, that hasn't been
replaced since the house was built in 1937.

Mary

DG

Mary Fisher

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote in message
. ..
In article , raden
wrote:

Well, it's just a narrow room with a pedestal, high cistern, bog roll on
a nail, and a little paraffin heater to stop the pipes freezing in the
winter, innit

Squares of newspaper not good enough for you then? :-)

We used newspaper not just because of shortage of money but because there
was a war on and paper was in short supply.

Mary

Mary Fisher

wrote in message ...

We had no light or window. But the door didn't fit100% so there was
enough
filtered light. If we had to go during the dark we had a bike lamp - but
that wasn't allowed during the war.

Ours had a little window, but at night (if we didn't use the bucket or pot
(guzunder) ) we had a candle in a little blue candleholder/tray thingy,
but
had to be careful it didn't blow out en route, or else you just used your
memory to find where it was.

That type of candleholder is called a chamberstick. Honestly.

Mary

Mary Fisher

wrote in message ...
On 10 Jul,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"johnty" wrote in message
ups.com...
Don't put a lock on the door. Traditionally, it is kept shut by
bracing one foot against it.

But you have a lock which only works from outside so that you can prevent
unauthorised peoplefrom using it.

Mind you, it wouldn't matter in one's own garden, it did when they were
down the street.

Yes, I remember a house (flats?) where ther was a row of about 5 outside
facilities each with it's own lock. Fine if you werent caught short, and
couldnt find thekey.

You kept the key on a hook behind the door into the street. Everyone did. We
weren't daft!

Mary

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Mary Fisher

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...

Ours had a little window, but at night (if we didn't use the bucket or
pot
(guzunder) ) we had a candle in a little blue candleholder/tray thingy,
but
had to be careful it didn't blow out en route, or else you just used
your
memory to find where it was.

That type of candleholder is called a chamberstick. Honestly.

Why would anyone doubt that?

They might have thought I was making it up to match the subject of the
thread.

Mary

S Viemeister

"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote:

"S Viemeister" ? wrote
? You had a nail??

You had a wall??

We had a hedge, and used dock leaves, not squares of paper.

Sheila

news

r.p.mcmurphy wrote:
Wehey! We going retro and having a outside lav, like me Nan used to
have! Has anyone got any pictures of outside lavs hanging about in
their lofts? if so I'd really like to take a peek to give me some
idea of how they used to look!

Ta!

steve

there's an untouched one next door to our house. it might even be an
original 1905 installation. it's certainly pre war, possibly 1st

RT

Mary Fisher

"news" wrote in message

there's an untouched one next door to our house. it might even be an
original 1905 installation. it's certainly pre war, possibly 1st

Why is it untouched?

Mary

news

Mary Fisher wrote:
"news" wrote in message

there's an untouched one next door to our house. it might even be an
original 1905 installation. it's certainly pre war, possibly 1st

Why is it untouched?

Mary

well, obviously, someone touched it, prolly with their bum.

the old lady who lived in the house went mad and had to be carted off.
she had an indoor bathroom but continued to use the outside lav, for
convenience, probably. there's 4 or 5 outdoor loos in the houses either
side of us, all with recently deceased owners who'd lived there for 60
odd years. in a row of 8 townhouses we're the only ones to convert the
coal hole and outdoor lav into a utility room.

RT

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote in message

No. That's pure Hollywood. Remember that windows allow people to see in.

That's because there's no lock on the door, so a quick peek stops you
from walking in on someone (you can only see their head through the
little window) :-)

Not if you get the angle right.

methinks shes had practice

NT

Mary Fisher

wrote in message
ups.com...
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote in message

No. That's pure Hollywood. Remember that windows allow people to see
in.

That's because there's no lock on the door, so a quick peek stops you
from walking in on someone (you can only see their head through the
little window) :-)

Not if you get the angle right.

methinks shes had practice

I've been the subject of observation -when it mattered to me :-(

Mary

NT

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

wrote:

Well, it's just a narrow room with a pedestal, high cistern, bog roll on
a nail, and a little paraffin heater to stop the pipes freezing in the
winter, innit

Squares of newspaper not good enough for you then? :-)

We used newspaper not just because of shortage of money but because there
was a war on and paper was in short supply.

You should have used water then ...

--
geoff