Default Decking - boards, knots, splits

We've just had some decking laid by a professional. He's coming back to
finish tomorrow and generally has done a really neat job.

We did notice some knots on the decking - vary from just marks to
partial holes & in one case a complete hole. Also noticed a couple of
decking boards have a split (surface) along.

How much of this is to expected, and how much should we get corrected?

David Lang

Hi

We did notice some knots on the decking - vary from just marks to
partial holes & in one case a complete hole. Also noticed a couple of
decking boards have a split (surface) along.

First of all, timber is a natural product, so knots are part of the deal.
You want timber, you accept knots.

However, a professional should sort & cut the boards to avoid the really bad
bits. So I'd say marks are OK, complete hole isn't.

Splits are also a kind of natural fault that should be sorted & cut around
if they are bad. Timber expands & contracts, so you may well have more
splits by next year anyway.

But you have to ask yourself how much you were prepared to pay for the job.
I'd normally cost a simple deck as material + 10% for bad bits. If you want
100% perfect you would have to add maybe 25% for bad bits.

Dave

Fiberon decking - no gaps between boards - ideas for fix?? [email protected] Home Repair 5 July 6th 05 10:56 PM
Use 7/8" boards for decking? mcgyver Woodworking 5 March 7th 05 12:47 AM
Wooden Floors andrewpreece UK diy 6 November 17th 04 11:03 PM
hand planing a panel flat Dimit94844 Woodworking 5 November 2nd 04 12:47 AM
Looking for long HICKORY flooring boards (6'-8') Shawn Home Repair 0 April 20th 04 12:45 AM