Default Fiberon decking - no gaps between boards - ideas for fix??

My contractor didn't leave any gaps between fiberon (composite
material) decking boards so now every time it rains my deck holds water
much longer than it should. I've lived with it for 3 years now and
don't feel right about calling him back to fix it though I would like
it fixed.

Best advice I've gotten so far is to use a skill saw between the boards
to open a 1/8" to 1/4" gap between boards. Well there are some 20 foot
runs and keeping the cut straight is difficult to put it mildly.
Already have some funny looking gaps in less prominent areas of the
deck when I tried it this weekend. Would hate to continue like that in
the prominent areas.

So...any advice on making 20 foot and longer cuts with a skill saw on
an installed deck?

Any other ideas for adding the gaps without taking out every board and
replacing with the proper spacing?

HomeDepot has a metal straight Edge used for making cuts with a
circular saw. It is two 6" lengths that clamp down. You may need to
buy three kits to have enough connectors to make a 24" length.

It is pretty rigid so it shouldn't flex over the length of the deck.

c_kubie

Noozer

wrote in message
oups.com...
My contractor didn't leave any gaps between fiberon (composite
material) decking boards so now every time it rains my deck holds water
much longer than it should. I've lived with it for 3 years now and
don't feel right about calling him back to fix it though I would like
it fixed.

Best advice I've gotten so far is to use a skill saw between the boards
to open a 1/8" to 1/4" gap between boards. Well there are some 20 foot
runs and keeping the cut straight is difficult to put it mildly.
Already have some funny looking gaps in less prominent areas of the
deck when I tried it this weekend. Would hate to continue like that in
the prominent areas.

So...any advice on making 20 foot and longer cuts with a skill saw on
an installed deck?

Any chance of being able to jack up one side of the deck a bit so the water
can run off?

L. M. Rappaport

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 23:04:41 GMT, "Noozer" wrote
(with possible editing):

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Actually, I think the best solution would be to LOWER the outside rim.
If it's supported (and at 20 ft, it must be), it should be fairly easy
to do. I would think 1/8" of drop for every foot of run would be
enough. That's 20/8 or 2 1/2" to lower the outside perimeter. The
drop will be almost undetectable, and will permit the water to run
off.
--

Larry

No

Just remove and re-install the boards. Last board only will need to be
ripped. Easy if screwed down and its the right way to do it.
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Easy way to cover old skirting boards with new ones? Mark Home Repair 1 February 28th 05 12:37 PM
hand planing a panel flat Dimit94844 Woodworking 5 November 2nd 04 12:47 AM
Eon Decking Problems repp Home Repair 3 July 9th 04 04:54 AM
Looking for long HICKORY flooring boards (6'-8') Shawn Home Repair 0 April 20th 04 12:45 AM
Wooden Floor Adam UK diy 17 November 8th 03 01:57 PM