Stephane CHAZELAS

Default [building regulation] electrical wiring horizontally

Hi,

before I look for a copy of the electrical regulations, I
thought one of you might have had the same kind of concern.

I want to add a pair of electrical sockets in the kitchen.
There's already a wire going through a wall and running
horizontally at chest height for 1 foot to a socket. I'd like to
have a wire run in that same direction for two feet further
(behind the laths of a cavity wall) to add that pair of sockets.

Could anyone with in depth knowledge of BS7671:1992 or whatever
regulation applies in Scotland please tell me if I'm allowed to
do that. What I've read so far is that it was OK to run a cable
horizontally at the skirting level or just under the ceiling,
but what about 2 feet at chest height behind the laths?

Thanks in advance,
Stéphane
chris French

In message , Stephane
CHAZELAS writes

I want to add a pair of electrical sockets in the kitchen.
There's already a wire going through a wall and running
horizontally at chest height for 1 foot to a socket. I'd like to
have a wire run in that same direction for two feet further
(behind the laths of a cavity wall) to add that pair of sockets.

Could anyone with in depth knowledge of BS7671:1992 or whatever
regulation applies in Scotland please tell me if I'm allowed to
do that.

Yes, you can run cables horizontally when feeding a socket etc.

What I've read so far is that it was OK to run a cable
horizontally at the skirting level

No it isn't.

or just under the ceiling,

Rules are basically, within 150mm of ceiling or corners of walls, or
horizontally or vertically to an electrical fitting (or has to b2 50mm
deep or protected by steel conduit etc.

--
Chris French

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Stephane CHAZELAS wrote:
Could anyone with in depth knowledge of BS7671:1992 or whatever
regulation applies in Scotland please tell me if I'm allowed to
do that. What I've read so far is that it was OK to run a cable
horizontally at the skirting level or just under the ceiling,
but what about 2 feet at chest height behind the laths?

If it's in a cavity wall, IIRC the regs don't apply. They're for cables
buried in plaster.

--
*Women who seek to be equal to men lack ambition.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

New Electrical Regs PoP UK diy 22 September 1st 03 08:41 PM
Kitchen sockets wiring horizontal LOZ34 UK diy 6 August 27th 03 11:20 AM
electrical wiring and gromments Laurie UK diy 3 August 23rd 03 01:28 PM
Forthcoming Building Regulations on electrical work (Part P) Andrew McKay UK diy 42 July 30th 03 08:05 AM
Electrical Wiring Grouping Factors in IEE Regs pickerel UK diy 5 July 14th 03 01:26 AM