Laurie

Default electrical wiring and gromments

Hi, can you all help me?

Should I be using grommets in metal boxes and which type open or closed?

many thanks

Laurie

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Laurie wrote:
Should I be using grommets in metal boxes and which type open or closed?

Since the purpose in a domestic environment is just to protect the cable
from chafing on the sharp edge, open ones are quicker to fit.

They cost so little by the box I can't see any reason not to use them.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.*

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Laurie

Default electrical wiring and gromments - Further question please

Thanks for your replies,

I have been trying to put in the open ones, but the access holes are on the
back and are distorting the box and forcing it further out (past the
plasterboard line)

If they are ommited will they:

a. compulsory by the IEE regs?

b. cause a deviation if inspected?

Many thanks

Laurie
"Dave Plowman" wrote in message
In article ,
Laurie wrote:
Should I be using grommets in metal boxes and which type open or closed?

Since the purpose in a domestic environment is just to protect the cable
from chafing on the sharp edge, open ones are quicker to fit.

They cost so little by the box I can't see any reason not to use them.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.*

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

chris French

In message , Laurie
writes
Thanks for your replies,

I have been trying to put in the open ones, but the access holes are on the
back and are distorting the box and forcing it further out (past the
plasterboard line)

Drill, chisel etc. a suitable hole or indent into the wood or whatever
it is behind the grommets.
--
Chris French, Leeds