crb

Default Don't leave neat bleach in a stainless steel sink

Perhaps I'm the only one that did not know about bleach and stainless
steel incompatability, but I've now learned an expensive lesson. Just
prior to going away for 2 weeks, I put a liberal dose of neat bleach in
the kitchen stainless steel sink. On my return, I found that the
bleach had eaten clean through the sink, leaving a 10mm x 5 mm hole
through to the cupboard below. It also had eaten through the plug
chain, which came apart in my hand as I pulled the plug out.

CRB

crb wrote:
Perhaps I'm the only one that did not know about bleach and stainless
steel incompatability, but I've now learned an expensive lesson. Just
prior to going away for 2 weeks, I put a liberal dose of neat bleach in
the kitchen stainless steel sink. On my return, I found that the
bleach had eaten clean through the sink, leaving a 10mm x 5 mm hole
through to the cupboard below. It also had eaten through the plug
chain, which came apart in my hand as I pulled the plug out.

CRB

dont feed the troll

NT

crb

Yes. It is (or was) the genuine article - stainless steel. I bought
it at a reputable builder's merchants in Maidenhead quite a few years
ago.

CRB

Newshound

dont feed the troll

NT

Well, I've never seen anything quite like that in a stainless steel sink.
But I have seen pictures of quite substantial high alloy steel structures
that have been eaten by stress corrosion cracking, caused by chloride.

dennis@home

wrote in message ...
On 28 Jun,
"crb" wrote:

Yes. It is (or was) the genuine article - stainless steel. I bought
it at a reputable builder's merchants in Maidenhead quite a few years
ago.

The stainless steel sink now in my utility room has regularly been cleaned
with neat bleach over the last 30 years and is still as solid and
uncorroded
as new.

Some thick bleach uses salt as a thickener.
Maybe the salt did it (if it happened)?

Ian_m

"dennis@home" wrote in message
. uk...

wrote in message
On 28 Jun,
"crb" wrote:

Yes. It is (or was) the genuine article - stainless steel. I bought
it at a reputable builder's merchants in Maidenhead quite a few years
ago.

The stainless steel sink now in my utility room has regularly been
cleaned
with neat bleach over the last 30 years and is still as solid and
uncorroded
as new.

Some thick bleach uses salt as a thickener.
Maybe the salt did it (if it happened)?

Salt will eat holes in stainless steel.

dennis@home wrote:
wrote in message ...
On 28 Jun,
"crb" wrote:

Yes. It is (or was) the genuine article - stainless steel. I bought
it at a reputable builder's merchants in Maidenhead quite a few years
ago.

The stainless steel sink now in my utility room has regularly been cleaned
with neat bleach over the last 30 years and is still as solid and
uncorroded
as new.

Some thick bleach uses salt as a thickener.
Maybe the salt did it (if it happened)?

salt isnt a thickener

:::Jerry::::

wrote in message
oups.com...
dennis@home wrote:
wrote in message

On 28 Jun,
"crb" wrote:

Yes. It is (or was) the genuine article - stainless steel. I

bought
it at a reputable builder's merchants in Maidenhead quite a few

years
ago.

The stainless steel sink now in my utility room has regularly

been cleaned
with neat bleach over the last 30 years and is still as solid

and
uncorroded
as new.

Some thick bleach uses salt as a thickener.
Maybe the salt did it (if it happened)?

salt isnt a thickener

Cite a reference for the above statement please, surely anything that
dissolves will thicken the liquid it is added to some degree and if
enough is added will do so markedly.

dennis@home

wrote in message
oups.com...

salt isnt a thickener

Try mixing it with thin washing up liquid and then say that.

Chip

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:30:54 +0100,it is alleged that "Ian_m"
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Some thick bleach uses salt as a thickener.
Maybe the salt did it (if it happened)?

Salt will eat holes in stainless steel.

Salt is also present in non-thickened bleach, they're usually a
solution of NaClO (Sodium hypochlorite) which is unstable, and breaks
down as follows: 2NaClO = 2NaCl + O2

Light will cause this breakdown. Thus what started out as 'sinkful of
bleach' probably ended up as 'sinkful of dilute bleach and salt
water'. Also this breakdown may well begin even before you get the
bleach, thus it's already salty, *how* salty I don't know, I have no
particular wish to taste itg

--
The follies which a man regrets most in his life are those
which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity.
raden

In message , Ian_m
writes
"dennis@home" wrote in message
.uk...

wrote in message
On 28 Jun,
"crb" wrote:

Yes. It is (or was) the genuine article - stainless steel. I bought
it at a reputable builder's merchants in Maidenhead quite a few years
ago.

The stainless steel sink now in my utility room has regularly been
cleaned
with neat bleach over the last 30 years and is still as solid and
uncorroded
as new.

Some thick bleach uses salt as a thickener.
Maybe the salt did it (if it happened)?

Salt will eat holes in stainless steel.

So will angle grinders ...

--
geoff
Doctor Evil

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Ian_m
writes
"dennis@home" wrote in message
.uk...

wrote in message
On 28 Jun,
"crb" wrote:

Yes. It is (or was) the genuine article - stainless steel. I bought
it at a reputable builder's merchants in Maidenhead quite a few years
ago.

The stainless steel sink now in my utility room has regularly been
cleaned
with neat bleach over the last 30 years and is still as solid and
uncorroded
as new.

Some thick bleach uses salt as a thickener.
Maybe the salt did it (if it happened)?

Salt will eat holes in stainless steel.

So will angle grinders ...

Maxie, do you think he left the angle grinder on while he went on hols?

Badger

Newshound wrote:

dont feed the troll

NT

Well, I've never seen anything quite like that in a stainless steel sink.
But I have seen pictures of quite substantial high alloy steel structures
that have been eaten by stress corrosion cracking, caused by chloride.

Hummm, we spill 100% twaddle caustic on stainless sometimes, never seen
any holes, eats aluminium though.

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
dennis@home wrote:

Some thick bleach uses salt as a thickener.
Maybe the salt did it (if it happened)?

salt isnt a thickener

Cite a reference for the above statement please, surely anything that
dissolves will thicken the liquid it is added to some degree and if
enough is added will do so markedly.

If you think back to school chemistry experiments you'll recall thats
not so, at least not to any significant extent.

However I'll try dennis's suggestion with washing up liquid, and see
what happens.

NT

Ed Sirett

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 18:47:57 +0100, :::Jerry:::: wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
dennis@home wrote:
wrote in message

On 28 Jun,
"crb" wrote:

Yes. It is (or was) the genuine article - stainless steel. I

bought
it at a reputable builder's merchants in Maidenhead quite a few

years
ago.

The stainless steel sink now in my utility room has regularly

been cleaned
with neat bleach over the last 30 years and is still as solid

and
uncorroded
as new.

Some thick bleach uses salt as a thickener.
Maybe the salt did it (if it happened)?

salt isnt a thickener

Cite a reference for the above statement please, surely anything that
dissolves will thicken the liquid it is added to some degree and if
enough is added will do so markedly.

Well I've not noticed that sea water is noticeably thicker than fresh.

Dead Sea water (which is saturated) is a bit thicker about the same as
the liquid in a tin of peaches.

:::Jerry::::

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news

snip

Well I've not noticed that sea water is noticeably thicker than

fresh.

Dead Sea water (which is saturated) is a bit thicker about the same

as
the liquid in a tin of peaches.

Surely those two sentences contradict each other?....