Chip

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:30:54 +0100,it is alleged that "Ian_m"
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Some thick bleach uses salt as a thickener.
Maybe the salt did it (if it happened)?

Salt will eat holes in stainless steel.

Salt is also present in non-thickened bleach, they're usually a
solution of NaClO (Sodium hypochlorite) which is unstable, and breaks
down as follows: 2NaClO = 2NaCl + O2

Light will cause this breakdown. Thus what started out as 'sinkful of
bleach' probably ended up as 'sinkful of dilute bleach and salt
water'. Also this breakdown may well begin even before you get the
bleach, thus it's already salty, *how* salty I don't know, I have no
particular wish to taste itg

--
The follies which a man regrets most in his life are those
which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity.