Homer2911

Default Noisy conservatory air conditioning

For reasons I won't go into, I have fallen out with my neighbour at the
rear. Just trust me, this man is ridiculously unreasonable.

During the hot weather, he has used his conservatory air-con for the
first time, and boy is it loud. Our gardens are small, so that my
decking is relatively close to the outlet of his air-con, albeit with a
2 metre wooden fence in between.

Are there noise limits for these things, and can I check the noise
level without making a complaint to the council?

Homer2911 wrote:

For reasons I won't go into, I have fallen out with my neighbour at the
rear. Just trust me, this man is ridiculously unreasonable.

During the hot weather, he has used his conservatory air-con for the
first time, and boy is it loud. Our gardens are small, so that my
decking is relatively close to the outlet of his air-con, albeit with a
2 metre wooden fence in between.

Are there noise limits for these things, and can I check the noise
level without making a complaint to the council?

Yes, and yes, but theres little chance of it exceeding them unless its
faulty, and eg metal is scraping on metal at a fair speed.

NT

Alan

"Homer2911" wrote in message
ups.com...
For reasons I won't go into, I have fallen out with my neighbour at the
rear. Just trust me, this man is ridiculously unreasonable.

During the hot weather, he has used his conservatory air-con for the
first time, and boy is it loud. Our gardens are small, so that my
decking is relatively close to the outlet of his air-con, albeit with a
2 metre wooden fence in between.

Are there noise limits for these things, and can I check the noise
level without making a complaint to the council?

Noise levels should be low - a unit I installed recently is rated at 57
db(A) for the outdoor unit, and can only really be heard if you stand right
in front of it when it's running, but from the next-door property it is
un-noticeable.

Maybe buy, borrow or hire a sound level meter to test the noise from your
neighbours unit? Maplin had a good deal on one recently.

Alan.

Pete C

On 21 Jun 2005 01:44:52 -0700, "Homer2911"
wrote:

For reasons I won't go into, I have fallen out with my neighbour at the
rear. Just trust me, this man is ridiculously unreasonable.

During the hot weather, he has used his conservatory air-con for the
first time, and boy is it loud. Our gardens are small, so that my
decking is relatively close to the outlet of his air-con, albeit with a
2 metre wooden fence in between.

Are there noise limits for these things, and can I check the noise
level without making a complaint to the council?

Hi,

Have you talked to him about it? Best to be as polite and friendly as
possible if you can.

It should be possible to build a screen around it to reduce the noise,
does it face sideways to your fence or towards the back of the garden?
Also does the boundary fence belong to you or him?

cheers,
Pete