John

Default Part P & Showers

My neighbour has a Mira electric shower that was in there when they moved
10years ago in and it is cattled, with a major leak. He has decided that as
he needs to replace the shower unit he may aswell redo the whole cubicle,
tiles etc. which he has asked me to do for him. I have no problem doing
this but would like some advice. The cable looks like 6mm to me, what's the
biggest KW shower he can have on this cable, if it has any bearing the
shower is on the first floor and the CU is in the cellar (he doesn't really
want to rip carpets and floorboards up to swap it! I cannot see anything on
the existing shower to indicate its KW. Also with the new Part P regs, can
I (legally) do this for him or do we need to get a 'proper' sparky in?

Thanks

John

Uno Hoo!

"John" wrote in message
My neighbour has a Mira electric shower that was in there when they moved
10years ago in and it is cattled, with a major leak. He has decided that
as he needs to replace the shower unit he may aswell redo the whole
cubicle, tiles etc. which he has asked me to do for him. I have no
problem doing this but would like some advice. The cable looks like 6mm
to me, what's the biggest KW shower he can have on this cable, if it has
any bearing the shower is on the first floor and the CU is in the cellar
(he doesn't really want to rip carpets and floorboards up to swap it! I
cannot see anything on the existing shower to indicate its KW. Also with
the new Part P regs, can I (legally) do this for him or do we need to get
a 'proper' sparky in?

There is nothing in Part P that stipulates that a 'proper sparky' *must* do
anything. However................AIUI, any electrical work in bathrooms,
kitchens, or outside the house (eg wiring a garden shed) must 'either' be
done by a qualified person *or* be reported to the local authority prior to
DIY work and then examined and approved by a qualifed person after the work
has been carried out.

Kev

RichardS

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Pretty much. Except it's a Registered person (or person working for a firm
where there is one registered person...) - you could be qualified to design
the entire UK distribution system, but it wouldn't count for one jot as far
as domestic electrical work is concerned now!

The other thing is that someone posted a link to the IEE newsletter a while
ago that suggested that like-for-like shower unit replacement would not
considered to be notifiable. The Electrickery gurus around here might know
if there has been any further clarification on this, though.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

BigWallop

"RichardS" wrote in message

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
[...]

I think you're right on that like for like swapping Mr S, and this is only
because the installation never had a problem with a load of the size you
already have. That's as long as the original installation has already been
inspected by a qualified person first of course.

Peter Crosland

My neighbour has a Mira electric shower that was in there when they moved
10years ago in and it is cattled, with a major leak. He has decided that
as he needs to replace the shower unit he may aswell redo the whole
cubicle, tiles etc. which he has asked me to do for him. I have no
problem doing this but would like some advice. The cable looks like 6mm
to me, what's the biggest KW shower he can have on this cable, if it has
any bearing the shower is on the first floor and the CU is in the cellar
(he doesn't really want to rip carpets and floorboards up to swap it! I
cannot see anything on the existing shower to indicate its KW. Also with
the new Part P regs, can I (legally) do this for him or do we need to get
a 'proper' sparky in?

It requires fitting and wiring by a competent person. Sorry to say it but
the fact that you have to ask demonstrates that you are not qualified to.
Remember: what are you going to do if your work causes someone to die? You
don't get a second chance with electric showers.

Peter Crosland

Stickems.

Be careful. I had a Mira a few years back, which packed up and has been
replaced by a non electric one. The cable to it was carrying 24 volt DC.

"John" wrote in message
| My neighbour has a Mira electric shower that was in there when they moved
| 10years ago in and it is cattled, with a major leak. He has decided that
as
| he needs to replace the shower unit he may aswell redo the whole cubicle,
| tiles etc. which he has asked me to do for him. I have no problem doing
| this but would like some advice. The cable looks like 6mm to me, what's
the
| biggest KW shower he can have on this cable, if it has any bearing the
| shower is on the first floor and the CU is in the cellar (he doesn't
really
| want to rip carpets and floorboards up to swap it! I cannot see anything
on
| the existing shower to indicate its KW. Also with the new Part P regs,
can
| I (legally) do this for him or do we need to get a 'proper' sparky in?
|
| Thanks
|
| John

John

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
[...]

Following on from the consultation statistics (which the fat buffoons dept
chose to ignore and introduce Part P anyway) - exactly how many people in
the uk have ever died from electrocution by an electric shower?

Peter Crosland

" It requires fitting and wiring by a competent person. Sorry to say it
but
the fact that you have to ask demonstrates that you are not qualified to.
Remember: what are you going to do if your work causes someone to die?
You don't get a second chance with electric showers.

Following on from the consultation statistics (which the fat buffoons dept
chose to ignore and introduce Part P anyway) - exactly how many people in
the uk have ever died from electrocution by an electric shower?

I have no idea, but do you want to be responsible for one more? Stop being
an idiot and advise your neighbour to get the job done properly.

Peter Crosland

Ed Sirett

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 19:05:44 +0100, RichardS wrote:

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
[...]

By the book that would have to be the exact same model, which is not being
made anymore,I expect. What you do next will depend on
1) How much of a jobsworth you are.
2) ... the customer is.
3) Whether any other notifiable work is taking place.
4) How confident you are that nothing will every go seriously wrong.

The 6mm cable under the ideal installation conditions could take over 40A
so it could be protected by a 40A MCB. Which gives 9.2kW @ 230V (if the
shower is specified @230V) or 9.6kW @240V (if the shower is gven at 240V).

However if the cable is anything other than surface clipped it falls to
38A thus protected by 35A breaker etc.

John_ZIZinvalid

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 19:30:52 +0000 (UTC), "John"
wrote:

Following on from the consultation statistics (which the fat buffoons dept
chose to ignore and introduce Part P anyway) - exactly how many people in
the uk have ever died from electrocution by an electric shower?

Yes. It is a totally hopeless law, an electrician can install
electrics in public\commercial\industrial properties, which
can involve showers, baths, chemicals, gases, high pressure
boilers, even outdoor electrical supplies in public areas such
as a busy town centre.
But yet cannot install anything in a domestic property.

Not all electricians work on domestic properties, the vast
majority working on public\commercial\industrial properties
are more than qualified and experienced to do such work, and more
likely to be better at doing the job than the vast majority
of house bashers who some-how gain the Part P approval.

The whole thing was setup to keep the electrical contractors
happy as they were desperate to get their hands on the domestic
market for electrical installations.

The commercial\industral companies would have put the government
pressure to forget such a hopeless law, on various grounds, financial
being one.

The worse thing about this law has already atarted to show it
colours as people start to see how much they have to pay for a
electrician with Part P, they will ask a electrician who can do
the work and he will pass them off as he doesn't want to end up
in court.

So they will decide to do it themselfs with out any sort of guidance.
This means the installation will not be installed by anybody
who is competent, and instead we will end up with the worst of
all worlds.

To answer your question one person who is known as two jags or
two jabs and the department of the deputy prime minister was
behind this hopeless law.

Chipmunk

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 17:15:55 +0000 (UTC), "John"
wrote:

You ask several questions. Attempting to answer them in sequence.

[snip intro about shower]
The cable looks like 6mm to me, what's the biggest KW shower he
can have on this cable

Be SURE of your cable sizes, if necessary obtain a short length of 6mm
and compare it. The current carrying capacity of 6mm depends on many
factors but 32 amps is an "almost certainly safe" rating for it. The
length limitations are basically all to do with voltage drop, and for
a shower, and over less than a 50m run of cable, it shouldn't be an
issue.

I cannot see anything on
the existing shower to indicate its KW.

Try taking the cover off (*with the mains off, and make sure you put
it back properly*)
The KW rating will likely be stamped on the heating chamber somewhere,
along with its voltage rating and other pertinant information, again,
be entirely *sure*

Also with the new Part P regs, can
I (legally) do this for him or do we need to get a 'proper' sparky in?

Legally I am not sure because frankly part P is a disaster area, they
wrote it in haste. The likely answer is NO, you can't legally do it
because it's in a 'special area' or whatever the wording is.

If he has the money, consult a sparky, you may be able to do all the
hard work, thus saving the guy money, and have the spark hook it up
etc etc. Be aware, it's likely to need an RCD, which may not be on the
circuit now, plus, a straight changeout like this should also be
accompanied by a detailed examination for loose terminals at the
switch, overheating, cable damage, and so forth.

As others have said further down this thread, electric showers are
potentially incredibly dangerous, I find it amazing that in a country
that frowns on lightswitches in bathrooms, you're allowed a 32 or 40
amp 240 volt circuit IN the shower area!

That being said, certainly take a look at the existing unit, inside
and out, try to determine its rating and so forth.

Apologies if any of this sounds 'bleeding obvious' or patronizing, I
just like people to cover all bases when it comes to electricity, I've
seen more near misses than I want to.

bs

To answer the earlier question as to how many people have died in domestic
electrical horrors during the last year.....I heard on the radio that the
number over the last year was 5.

Yes just 5.

Now how much money did this new electrics scheme cost..............the
setting up.....the advertising......the training...
the recruitment.....( jobs for the boys). How much time will qualified
electricians have to spend to get qualified again...and what will it cost in
courses. How many jobs were created for the trainers the manual writers etc.
A whole new industry has been spawned by the granny state at a massive
cost...............paid by who.............YES thats right
US the taxpayers.More managers...managing issues that dont really exist.

And to save 5 lives ?

The cowboys will carry on as usual...........
The gullible will beleive the propaganda and pay the higher prices for their
"qualified electrician"...just like "gatso speed cameras reduce road
accidents"..................so lets have some more.

Its madness............

First the plumbers
Now the electricians
Who next..................?????.............Bricklayer s? Mechanics? Mini cab
drivers? Hospital cleaners??
they can all kill you if they dont do their job right
.....................yes lets set up some more quangos.............more jobs
for the boys..more knighthoods..................aggggggggggggggggh!!! !

just dont let the facts cloud your judgement!!!

Barry

John

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
" It requires fitting and wiring by a competent person. Sorry to say it
but
the fact that you have to ask demonstrates that you are not qualified
to. Remember: what are you going to do if your work causes someone to
die? You don't get a second chance with electric showers.

Following on from the consultation statistics (which the fat buffoons
dept chose to ignore and introduce Part P anyway) - exactly how many
people in the uk have ever died from electrocution by an electric shower?

I have no idea, but do you want to be responsible for one more? Stop being
an idiot and advise your neighbour to get the job done properly.

Its not my neighbour. You should learn to follow attribution of threadsg

I am not aware of ANY electrocutions from showers but you may know of
different statistics? Apparently the figure of five lethal incidents per
year from all electrical work is currently being accepted but no-one seems
to be able to breakdown this figure into shocks from appliances/defective
flexes/fixed equipment. The chances are very much that portable appliances
and flexes are the real culprits

Having a paper qualification from an accredited body may or may not have any
bearing whatsoever on the job being done properly or the safety of the
fitting of a replacement for the existing unit. I suggest you are the one
who should stop being an idiot and wake up to reality. Being a
professionally qualified Electrical Engineer, even one who teaches the
"electricians" of tomorrow is not accepted by the fat buffoons department as
being competent to carry out domestic work but somehow is acceptable for
commercial and industrial work, power transmission and distribution,
generation etc. Sense? there isn't any!

Uno Hoo!

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
" It requires fitting and wiring by a competent person. Sorry to say it
but
the fact that you have to ask demonstrates that you are not qualified
to. Remember: what are you going to do if your work causes someone to
die? You don't get a second chance with electric showers.

Following on from the consultation statistics (which the fat buffoons
dept chose to ignore and introduce Part P anyway) - exactly how many
people in the uk have ever died from electrocution by an electric shower?

I have no idea, but do you want to be responsible for one more? Stop being
an idiot and advise your neighbour to get the job done properly.

In my experience - if you want a job doing 'properly', the last person to
get to do it is a 'professional'.

Kev

Martin Evans

wrote:

Yes. It is a totally hopeless law, an electrician can install
electrics in public\commercial\industrial properties, which
can involve showers, baths, chemicals, gases, high pressure
boilers, even outdoor electrical supplies in public areas such
as a busy town centre.
But yet cannot install anything in a domestic property.

Would someone in an appropriate position see fit to doing a seriously
dodgy wiring job somewhere two jags might frequent. Obviously his
house is off limits but anywhere else is fair game.

;-)

shazzbat

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
" It requires fitting and wiring by a competent person. Sorry to say it
but
the fact that you have to ask demonstrates that you are not qualified
to. Remember: what are you going to do if your work causes someone to
die? You don't get a second chance with electric showers.

Following on from the consultation statistics (which the fat buffoons
dept chose to ignore and introduce Part P anyway) - exactly how many
people in the uk have ever died from electrocution by an electric

shower?

I have no idea, but do you want to be responsible for one more? Stop

being
an idiot and advise your neighbour to get the job done properly.

In my experience - if you want a job doing 'properly', the last person to
get to do it is a 'professional'.

Old saying I heard some years ago - The Titanic was built by professionals,
Noah's ark was built by amateurs.

You choose.

;-))

Steve

shazzbat

wrote:

Yes. It is a totally hopeless law, an electrician can install
electrics in public\commercial\industrial properties, which
can involve showers, baths, chemicals, gases, high pressure
boilers, even outdoor electrical supplies in public areas such
as a busy town centre.
But yet cannot install anything in a domestic property.

Would someone in an appropriate position see fit to doing a seriously
dodgy wiring job somewhere two jags might frequent. Obviously his
house is off limits but anywhere else is fair game.

;-)

If I thought that that useless ******* was going to show up, I'd wire up the
fridge door to the mains.

BigWallop

wrote:

Yes. It is a totally hopeless law, an electrician can install
electrics in public\commercial\industrial properties, which
can involve showers, baths, chemicals, gases, high pressure
boilers, even outdoor electrical supplies in public areas such
as a busy town centre.
But yet cannot install anything in a domestic property.

Would someone in an appropriate position see fit to doing a seriously
dodgy wiring job somewhere two jags might frequent. Obviously his
house is off limits but anywhere else is fair game.

;-)

If I thought that that useless ******* was going to show up, I'd wire up

the
fridge door to the mains.

That would make a real earth of him. :-) Well, he's been making an earth
of us for long enough, hasn't he?

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"John" writes:
Following on from the consultation statistics (which the fat buffoons dept
chose to ignore and introduce Part P anyway) - exactly how many people in
the uk have ever died from electrocution by an electric shower?

One that I recall vaguely, in 2003. (I can't find
any record on the net anymore, but a news item was
available at the time at http://tinyurl.com/r7k0
which is another reason for not using short URLs.)

The shower was professionally installed not that
long before the incident. The victim had commented
on getting electric shocks from it before, but
didn't seem to have done anything about it.
Incredibly, the contractor who installed the shower
was called in to investigate what was wrong with it,
so the investigation report would be worthless.
My comment at the time was that this would be like
asking Jarvis to investigate the Potters Bar rail
crash.

--
Andrew Gabriel
OldBill

wrote:

Yes. It is a totally hopeless law, an electrician can install
electrics in public\commercial\industrial properties, which
can involve showers, baths, chemicals, gases, high pressure
boilers, even outdoor electrical supplies in public areas such
as a busy town centre.
But yet cannot install anything in a domestic property.

Would someone in an appropriate position see fit to doing a seriously
dodgy wiring job somewhere two jags might frequent. Obviously his
house is off limits but anywhere else is fair game.

;-)

If I thought that that useless ******* was going to show up, I'd wire up the
fridge door to the mains.

Surely you don't believe the DPM personally make this decsison?
Where is the political mileage in that?
It was more likely some jobs worth civil servant who gets
jollys/kickbacks from the elec industry. maybe even "retired" and
working for them now..
It does happen, I've seen it with my own eyes. Senior civil servant to
preferred vendor ..
"would you care to persue this quote from your competitors while I'm out
of the room"

OldBill

shazzbat wrote:
"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message

[...]

The Titantic may well have been built by pros, but it was driven by a fool
dale hammond

wrote:

Yes. It is a totally hopeless law, an electrician can install
electrics in public\commercial\industrial properties, which
can involve showers, baths, chemicals, gases, high pressure
boilers, even outdoor electrical supplies in public areas such
as a busy town centre.
But yet cannot install anything in a domestic property.

Would someone in an appropriate position see fit to doing a seriously
dodgy wiring job somewhere two jags might frequent. Obviously his
house is off limits but anywhere else is fair game.

;-)

If I thought that that useless ******* was going to show up, I'd wire up
the
fridge door to the mains.
have you got part p to do that as it will mean adding a new circuit

Uno Hoo!

"OldBill" wrote in message
shazzbat wrote:
"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message

[...]

But it was still claimed by the builders to be 'unsinkable' !!

Kev

BigWallop

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message

"OldBill" wrote in message
shazzbat wrote:
"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message

[...]

But she would have been un-sinkable if it hadn't been for the un-trained
people leaving all the water-tight doors open.

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Stickems.
wrote:

Be careful. I had a Mira a few years back, which packed up and has been
replaced by a non electric one. The cable to it was carrying 24 volt DC.

Nonsense as usual like all your antisocial postings.

** Would you like to learn to post effectively? **
** http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post **

Owain

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
One that I recall vaguely, in 2003. (I can't find
any record on the net anymore, but a news item was
available at the time at http://tinyurl.com/r7k0
which is another reason for not using short URLs.)
The shower was professionally installed not that
long before the incident. The victim had commented
on getting electric shocks from it before, but
didn't seem to have done anything about it.

Now where have I heard that before ... oh yes, someone who got electric
shocks off a towel rail in the kitchen wasn't it.

Whatever next, padded walls in the building regulations.

Owain

Martin

[...]

Totally disagree with that. Knowing all the answers is not what it's about.
Recognising the ISSUES, and then seeking the answers where appropriate, is.

Would you apply your thinking to, for instance, airline pilots and withdraw
their written procedures manual which they use on every flight - on the
grounds that they should know it all? Or would you stop doctors checking up
on alternative medicines on the same grounds? I don't think so.

--
Martin

(Remove barrier to reply)

Martin

"bs" wrote in message

To answer the earlier question as to how many people have died in domestic
electrical horrors during the last year.....I heard on the radio that the
number over the last year was 5.

Yes just 5.

And it would be more meaningful to have details of each of these 5. Where
they are caused by amateur sparkies?

[...]

All very well said.

(and what exactly would they prefer us to die from anyway?)

--
Martin

(Remove barrier to reply)

Stickems.

A million times that cost or any cost is worth less than one life.

"bs" wrote in message

| To answer the earlier question as to how many people have died in domestic
| electrical horrors during the last year.....I heard on the radio that the
| number over the last year was 5.
|
| Yes just 5.
|
| Now how much money did this new electrics scheme cost..............the
| setting up.....the advertising......the training...
| the recruitment.....( jobs for the boys). How much time will qualified
| electricians have to spend to get qualified again...and what will it cost
in
| courses. How many jobs were created for the trainers the manual writers
etc.
| A whole new industry has been spawned by the granny state at a massive
| cost...............paid by who.............YES thats right
| US the taxpayers.More managers...managing issues that dont really exist.
|
| And to save 5 lives ?
|
| The cowboys will carry on as usual...........
| The gullible will beleive the propaganda and pay the higher prices for
their
| "qualified electrician"...just like "gatso speed cameras reduce road
| accidents"..................so lets have some more.
|
| Its madness............
|
| First the plumbers
| Now the electricians
| Who next..................?????.............Bricklayer s? Mechanics? Mini
cab
| drivers? Hospital cleaners??
| they can all kill you if they dont do their job right
| ....................yes lets set up some more quangos.............more
jobs
| for the boys..more knighthoods..................aggggggggggggggggh!!! !
|
| just dont let the facts cloud your judgement!!!
|

| Barry

RichardS

"Stickems." wrote in message
A million times that cost or any cost is worth less than one life.

What - the old "Safety at any price" argument?

That's a naive, dangerous and fundamentlly flawed argument, and as such is
complete bollox.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Uno Hoo!

"Martin" wrote in message

[...]

I couldn't agree more with that. The fact that someone has to seek advice
prior to commencing a job does not mean that he is not competent to do it -
merely that he requires further information in order to do it properly. I've
said it before and I'll say it again - in the vast majority of cases, a keen
diy'er will produce a far superior job to most 'professionals'. I could
fill a book with the slipshod work that has been carried out for me and
friends/relatives over the years by so-called professional, garage
mechanics, tow-bar fitters, kitchen installers, tilers, laminate flooring
installers, etc. There *are* some perfectionist professionals out there -
but sadly they are few and far between!

Kev

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , RichardS
wrote:

What - the old "Safety at any price" argument?

That's a naive, dangerous and fundamentlly flawed argument, and as such is
complete bollox.

From an unrepentant "upside-downer". What else can you expect?

shazzbat

SNIP

But it was still claimed by the builders to be 'unsinkable' !!

Kev

But she would have been un-sinkable if it hadn't been for the un-trained
people leaving all the water-tight doors open.

AIUI there were gaps at the top of the bulkheads allowing one flooded
compartment to overflow into the next, and so on.

Steve

bs

"Stickems." wrote in message
A million times that cost or any cost is worth less than one life.

A million times that cost or any cost is worth less than one life.

Well I'm glad your not running the country.Lets say the whole thing cost £30
million to set up and fund.
£30 million times a million is .....er well it a lot. (name that number
please )
AND Any cost??........You did say "any cost.".??????.............is worth
less than one life.

An interesting economic model.
And we are talking taxpayers money here...........and if you had your way a
bust economy.

food for thought

Barry

Stefek Zaba

John wrote:

I am not aware of ANY electrocutions from showers but you may know of
different statistics? Apparently the figure of five lethal incidents per
year from all electrical work is currently being accepted but no-one seems
to be able to breakdown this figure into shocks from appliances/defective
flexes/fixed equipment. The chances are very much that portable appliances
and flexes are the real culprits

Nah. The figure of 5 is deaths/year from *fixed* wiring; the equipment
(portable and non-portable) ones account for another 14 deaths/year.
Accidents scale similarly: 576 non-fatal from fixed wiring, 1700
non-fatal from equipment. These numbers are over at
http://www.rospa.com/productsafety/a...electrical.htm
Prescott's own department admitted it loused up by using the
all-electrical figures - themselves remarkably low - rather than the
ones relating only to fixed wiring. That admission is buried over at
http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/grou...023509-06.hcsp
that's all one line - if your browser wraps it, rebuild it). It uses
figues of 2.6 deaths and 447 accidents - I don't know where the
discrepancy of 5 vs 2.6 comes from.

Stefek

Peter Crosland

It requires fitting and wiring by a competent person. Sorry to say it but
the fact that you have to ask demonstrates that you are not qualified to.

Totally disagree with that. Knowing all the answers is not what it's
about. Recognising the ISSUES, and then seeking the answers where
appropriate, is.

Would you apply your thinking to, for instance, airline pilots and
withdraw their written procedures manual which they use on every flight -
on the grounds that they should know it all? Or would you stop doctors
checking up on alternative medicines on the same grounds? I don't think
so.

No I would not. But the way the question was worded and indeed that it was
asked just emphasises that the OP does not understand the issues or the
answers.

Peter Crosland

Keith Willcocks

"shazzbat" wrote in message

SNIP

But it was still claimed by the builders to be 'unsinkable' !!

Kev

But she would have been un-sinkable if it hadn't been for the un-trained
people leaving all the water-tight doors open.

AIUI there were gaps at the top of the bulkheads allowing one flooded
compartment to overflow into the next, and so on.

And surely the professionals would have been responsible for ensuring that
those who left the doors open were trained. ;o)
--
Keith Willcocks

Keith Willcocks

wrote in message ...
On 10 Jun,
OldBill wrote:

shazzbat wrote:

Old saying I heard some years ago - The Titanic was built by
professionals, Noah's ark was built by amateurs.

The Titantic may well have been built by pros, but it was driven by a
fool

And designed by accountants.

Surely the Captain would have been a professional fool!
--
Keith Willcocks

Keith Willcocks

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

wrote:

Yes. It is a totally hopeless law, an electrician can install
electrics in public\commercial\industrial properties, which
can involve showers, baths, chemicals, gases, high pressure
boilers, even outdoor electrical supplies in public areas such
as a busy town centre.
But yet cannot install anything in a domestic property.

Would someone in an appropriate position see fit to doing a seriously
dodgy wiring job somewhere two jags might frequent. Obviously his
house is off limits but anywhere else is fair game.

;-)

If I thought that that useless ******* was going to show up, I'd wire up

the
fridge door to the mains.

That would make a real earth of him. :-) Well, he's been making an earth
of us for long enough, hasn't he?

Let's be honest. He was over promoted when he was a cabin boy ;o)
--
Keith Willcocks

It requires fitting and wiring by a competent person. Sorry to say it
but
the fact that you have to ask demonstrates that you are not qualified
to.

This is self evident - but having asked the question and gathered the
necessary information then one is then better qualified than before -
which is also self evident.

I just installed a new Gainsborough 9.5kw shower in my new bathroom -
following the useful instructions on the packet and having studied
postings on this group. Nobody dead yet but we are all lovely and
clean!
As a matter of interest does anyone know what the showerer would
experience if there was a major failure sufficient to trip the RCD?

Help finding old router part Jon Woodworking 14 March 18th 06 11:40 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Part P - new cable colours CRB UK diy 50 November 30th 04 11:13 PM
Still looking for Mitsubishi VCR part # !!! sogs Electronics Repair 2 July 1st 04 01:06 AM
rec.woodworking ANTI-FAQ Part 1 of 10 - General Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 2 April 3rd 04 12:15 PM