Autolycus

Default Help identify alarm

My daughter has just bought a flat in Bristol, and has inherited a
wireless burglar alarm system with no instructions. The previous owner
is not in a position to help, and the selling agent denied there was an
alarm fitted.

The system comprises a few wireless PIR detectors, a wireless external
sounder, an internal sounder, the main box of tricks, and a keypad. It
appears to include an autodialer. The only maker id I have found so far
is a logo on the keypad with what might be "I Electronics", but googling
the likely possibilities hasn't helped.

Does anyone recognise any of the components, please?

http://www.mainbeam.f2s.com/flat/alarm1.jpg
http://www.mainbeam.f2s.com/flat/alarm2.jpg
http://www.mainbeam.f2s.com/flat/alarm3.jpg

I'm at a slight disadvantage being 135 miles away at present, but I'll
be down there again later in the week (and again, and again...). I have
temporarily disabled it by removing its mains fuse and disconnecting its
main internal battery.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Ian Stirling

Autolycus wrote:
[...]

I would try disconnecting the internal and external sounders,
triggering an alarm, and seeing what the modem tries to dial.
BigWallop

"Autolycus" wrote in message
[...]

It looks like an old style BT Home Safe system, now called home-guard I
think. Or an old DIY shed bought system. Try the B&Q or Homebase websites
to see if they match anything.

BIG NIGE

On the Keypad there is some writing in red (top left corner) but I cannot
make out what it says is it possible to get a better picture or could you
ask her what the letters/symbols are.

.. .

"Autolycus" writes:
[...]

Dave Liquorice

On 07 Jun 2005 18:14:39 GMT, Ian Stirling wrote:

I would try disconnecting the internal and external sounders,
triggering an alarm, and seeing what the modem tries to dial.

You have DTMF decoder in your pocket then? If it's a DIY jobbie the
chances are it'll be the previous owners mobile or neighbour... If it
does call a central station it'll talk modem or DTMF not speech.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Autolycus

"BIG NIGE" wrote in message
On the Keypad there is some writing in red (top left corner) but I
cannot
make out what it says is it possible to get a better picture or could
you
ask her what the letters/symbols are.

That's the bit that says "I (E or C or G?)lectronics" with the vaguely
circulating electrons. It wasn't any clearer in the flesh.

--

"Autolycus" writes:
[...]

Autolycus

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On 07 Jun 2005 18:14:39 GMT, Ian Stirling wrote:

I would try disconnecting the internal and external sounders,
triggering an alarm, and seeing what the modem tries to dial.

You have DTMF decoder in your pocket then? If it's a DIY jobbie the
chances are it'll be the previous owners mobile or neighbour... If it
does call a central station it'll talk modem or DTMF not speech.

and there's the further complication that she's not decided whether to
go for BT or cable, so the phone line's dead at present.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***
Car Transport by Tiltbed Trailer - based near Derby

Mike Barnes

In uk.d-i-y, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 07 Jun 2005 18:14:39 GMT, Ian Stirling wrote:

I would try disconnecting the internal and external sounders,
triggering an alarm, and seeing what the modem tries to dial.

You have DTMF decoder in your pocket then?

Dial the BT number that allows you to change your "Friends and Family"
numbers. Play it the DTMF tones and it will read the number back in
English for confirmation.

--
Mike Barnes
Ian Stirling

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 07 Jun 2005 18:14:39 GMT, Ian Stirling wrote:

I would try disconnecting the internal and external sounders,
triggering an alarm, and seeing what the modem tries to dial.

You have DTMF decoder in your pocket then? If it's a DIY jobbie the
chances are it'll be the previous owners mobile or neighbour... If it
does call a central station it'll talk modem or DTMF not speech.

Oh dear, sorry, wasn't thinking.
I'd be plugging it into an old modem, which can do this.
Will

In article ,
says...

My daughter has just bought a flat in Bristol, and has inherited a
wireless burglar alarm system with no instructions. The previous
owner
is not in a position to help, and the selling agent denied there was
an
alarm fitted.

snip

I have temporarily disabled it by removing its mains fuse and

disconnecting its
main internal battery.

I can't help with the identification, but if you removed both the
mains supply and the backup battery, and the external siren didn't
activate, then it is faulty.

That puzzled me - I haven't had any dealings with wireless systems - do
external sounders rely on the user changing dry cells periodically? The
keypad was flashing a "Lo Battery" warning - am I right in guessing that
sensors and the sounder send these messages?

There are two principle types of external bellbox fitted to
"wireless" alarm systems - firstly, where the bellbox is wired back to
the alarm panel (only the sensors/keypad are wireless), and secondly
where the bellbox is wireless too. In both cases the bellbox contains a
rechargeable battery pack, in the former case charged by the alarm
panel, and in the latter case charged by a small integral solar panel.

In either case, removing *all* power from the alarm panel should
result in the bellbox siren sounding, unless the unit is faulty.

On most of the systems that I have seen installed, the sensors
flag up a "flat battey", usually a month or so before the sensor is
likely to fail to operate. In general, if "normal" alkaline batteries
are utilised, they should be changed every year. I believe that the
lithium type which are available can give service for upto five years.

--
Regards,

Will.

PeterCB

"Jim Rojas" wrote in message
The looks like a Electronics Line Summit system.

Jim Rojas

Well done that man!
http://www.el-usa.com/sub_products.htm (-- manuals --)

Autolycus

PeterCB wrote:
"Jim Rojas" wrote in message
The looks like a Electronics Line Summit system.

Jim Rojas

Well done that man!
http://www.el-usa.com/sub_products.htm (-- manuals --)

Gentlemen: I award you the hand of my daughter, in gratitude for your
genius.

Many thanks.

Will wrote:
I can't help with the identification, but if you removed both the
mains supply and the backup battery, and the external siren didn't
activate, then it is faulty.

Huh, what sounds the siren then - a backup, backup battery?

--
Chris Green

s--p--o--n--i--x

On 8 Jun 2005 10:30:24 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

Yes. Most bell boxes have a small NiCad inside them. When installed, you
cut a link and enable the battery. It's kept charged by a 12V wire from
the panel. The siren is 'held off' by that same power (AFAIR).

Some of the Wickes systems had normal zinc carbon batteries in the
bell boxes and no method of charging them.

When the batteries went flat after a year or so you'd have to climb up
a ladder to change them.

sponix